Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

the commentators can see the throws but call it as “shuffles the ball out”, “moves the ball forward”, “flicks the ball out”, “not sure that was a legal hand pass”. They have learned many ways to say “threw the ball” without actually saying it. Thus keeping the almighty AFL at bay.
Don’t forget the old classics , “ I don’t know how he got rid of that” or “ how did he get that out?”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I like the prior opportunity in general, you still want players to attack the ball first and want to take possession rather than sweat on someone else taking possession. It's not that hard - did he have prior opportunity if he has possession and is tackled and is he makin a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball once tackled? If no prior and making a genuine attempt then OK. If its knocked out by the tackler its play on. If vthey don't make a genuine attempt its a free.

I don't like players being penalised for attacking the ball and rewarded by waiting for someone else to get it.

Agree, but it would also help if the player trying to gain possession wasn't grabbed before they have the ball. How can you have prior opportunity when one arm is being held as you gather the ball?

The player willing to take possession should always be afforded more leeway than the player who hangs back, grabs an arm, gives a push or whatever.

DS

I don't know what the rules of the game are anymore. And the alarming thing is neither do the ******* umpires !!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I don't know what the rules of the game are anymore. And the alarming thing is neither do the ******* umpires !!!!
Absolutely … it’s a *smile* joke!
For the sake of the game we need to form a new competition away from the corrupt AFL!

If you’re being tackled, drop your knees and you’ll get a free. If you’re being tackled, throw yourself to the ground. You’ll get a free. If you’re in a marking contest wrap your opponents arm around yours. You’ll get a free. If you’re trying to get the low footy, aim your head to get under your opponents arm. You’ll get a free.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
This is a joke.

Clear holding the ball against demons multiple times.... Play on!

Ok, so that's how the interpretation is tonight?

Nope! The second we get tackled it's holding the ball!

Reactions: 3 users
The standard of umpiring is at a critical low. The game cannot survive at this diluted quality.
It is evident that three field umpires interpreting rules causes confusion to the players and fans alike.
Instead of addressing the toxic state of umpiring the AFL introduced a dissent rule in an attempt to eliminate the visual of player confusion and frustration.

End the farce. Time to sweep the AFL Executive and administration. Time to sweep the umpiring appointments as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Hahahahahahahaha!

"Spargo has his hand held....... but still gets a handpass away"

That was the actual commentary!!

Rioli great tackle, Spargo throws footy, everyone sees it..... PLAY ON!

AFL IS COOKED

Reactions: 6 users
Agree with many here pointing out bias, BUT I don't think there is a team in the comp that gives away more obvious frees than we do. This smacks of complacency and petulance. We have a rep now among the umpiring fraternity that we don't mind giving away dumb free kicks and the umpires are only too happy to oblige. We make ourselves easy targets. No subtlety. over to the coaches to sort this out or we will all be tearing our hair out.

Reactions: 2 users
Free kicks 28-19. -9, That’s just about a win for us!

Reactions: 1 user
The AFL are a joke. They have totally stuffed the game. Pathetic rules introduced by a bunch of administrator's who have nothing but contempt for the supporters.
Gil cannot go quick enough and don't shut the door on your way out.

Umpire #12 should feature in demons best players. Who is he? Simon Goodwin’s son?

I'd like to see an 'Umpire Free' round introduced. That's when we would see some free flowing footy and something fans can get excited about! Week after week the Tiges are crucified by the umps, rarely a match where we come out on the positive side of the ledger.

Umpires use a different rule book when it comes to giving us frees compared to the opposition
Those in charge of the AFL just hate us and prefer the premiership to be won by other teams on rotation

Reactions: 2 users
F*cking joke tonight.

I saw a Melbourne player get a very easy high contact free and not 5 minutes later Castagna gets a whack across the head and no free.

I saw a Melbourne player get an easy free in the middle of a pack in front of goal, maybe it was there, and not 5 minutes later Lynch is held off a marking contest (his opponent was facing away from where the ball was going, hoding on to Lynch and pushing him away from the marking contest - that is both holding the man and blocking), in space where everyone could see it, no free.

I saw a Melbourne player get a free in front of goal when he tripped over his own feet.

I saw Balta lining up for goal and it is smothered by a player who was not on the mark. How is that in the rules, a player who is not on the mark cannot smother the ball unless he enters the restricted zone. Balta was 50m out, he wasn't going for a round the corner kick, it simply could not be play on.

Petracca grabs the ball in front of our goals, gets tackled after having prior opportunity, makes no attempt to dispose of the ball - ball up.

The free kick count was 20-10 at 3/4 time, how is it even possible that a team only gives away 10 free kicks in 3/4 of a game? I'll tell you, it simply isn't possible, they just refuse to pay free kicks to our players which they do give to the opposition.

I really am getting beyond the point where it is incompetence, it is looking a lot like bias.

To be honest I am heartily sick of this, every f*cking week they simply refuse to give Richmond players free kicks. Even after Dimma said we need to get better at getting free kicks they still won't. I don't know how you get better at receiving free kicks, maybe we need to learn to crumple forward when tackled, trip over our own feet, fall over when held off a marking contest, shrug our arms in a tackle . . . I don't now because some of the missed frees were very bloody obvious and not awarded.

DS

Reactions: 12 users