Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Even NAB League is infinitely more enjoyable.

Im not a fan of NAB games.

I said on another thread,

40 kids trying not to get injured, kick goals, and get $100 grand for 2 years.

I know its a necessary forum,

but not for me as a spectacle.

I hate selfish footy about 5-10%

as much as I hate steve hocking

Reactions: 2 users

Nah. It’s great. Junior footballers throwing it out there. Great match ups often as well.

5 free kicks in the 2nd quarter at Sth Freo

Ruck Infringment: 0
DOB: 0
Not 15: 0
dangerous Tackle: 0
sliding in below knees: 0
Blocking in a marking contest: 0
unrealistic attempt: 0
dissent: 1 (50m)
score reviews: 0

this is the total awarded in these categories in a half of footy.

the frees ive seen have been Holding the man; throwing the ball; in the back; and holding the ball

The premier competition of Our Code is clearly playing by a separate sets of rules.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah. It’s great. Junior footballers throwing it out there. Great match ups often as well.

fair enough. definately see some great footballers and skills, but i dont reckon its really a team sport.

I see the Dogs were angels again today - conceding 10 free kicks in a whole game. You have to love the way then barely ever transgress the rules of the game.

But Adelaide suddenly not so angelic, only conceded 13 last week, 24 this week, what happened? Different game style, different coach, maybe different players? Who knows, mystery to me.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

All the pathway football is terribly selfish but as the kids get rewarded for being selfish, guess what, they continue to be selfish.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I see the Dogs were angels again today - conceding 10 free kicks in a whole game. You have to love the way then barely ever transgress the rules of the game.

But Adelaide suddenly not so angelic, only conceded 13 last week, 24 this week, what happened? Different game style, different coach, maybe different players? Who knows, mystery to me.

DS
It’s simple. Last week Adelaide were disciplined, we were undisciplined.

This week Adelaide were undisciplined. Bulldogs were disciplined. Apparently….

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
In my local league there's 2 field umpires and half the time zero boundary umpires. They've adapted and if the ball goes oob, just have a ball up. It works.
This 50m penalty for reacting to a free kick against will work eventually. It will take years for umpire numbers to improve. In local football obviously the crowd abuse is a factor.
Anyone watch local football in Victoria? How many field umpires?
2 central…no boundary umpires (U19’s Beaconsfield v Bayswater).

DS
They weren’t playing in Adelaide. It’s rare that the umpires doing the games in either Perth or Adelaide aren’t influenced by the crowd to award frees that they wouldn’t pay anywhere else.

Had one eye on the AFL and another on the NRL, there were quite a few "forward passes" in the Dockers V Blues game, don't see a throw penalised much nowadays.

It seems like there's more throws than handballs nowadays, what are they doing to this great game:confused:

Had one eye on the AFL and another on the NRL, there were quite a few "forward passes" in the Dockers V Blues game, don't see a throw penalised much nowadays.

It seems like there's more throws than handballs nowadays, what are they doing to this great game:confused:

If they don't start penalising throws soon the AFL will just legalise throwing. Will be like the VFA back in the 1950s I think.

Won't be Australian Football though.

DS

If they don't start penalising throws soon the AFL will just legalise throwing. Will be like the VFA back in the 1950s I think.

Won't be Australian Football though.

DS
It’s ruining the game. No commentators brave enough to call it out.

Umpires don't have time to bother with archaic hundred year old rules these days, far to busy trying to learn and interpret all the new gibberish the flogs at H.Q. keep inventing to save the game.

Reactions: 3 users
Umpires don't have time to bother with archaic hundred year old rules these days, far to busy trying to learn and interpret all the new gibberish the flogs at H.Q. keep inventing to save the game.
This. The way to ‘save’ the game is to strip the ridiculous new rules and go back to basics. When they get those right the game will be far better for it. It’s the introduction of these new things that have eroded the relationship between the umpires and the rest of the footballing world.

It’s ruining the game. No commentators brave enough to call it out.
the commentators can see the throws but call it as “shuffles the ball out”, “moves the ball forward”, “flicks the ball out”, “not sure that was a legal hand pass”. They have learned many ways to say “threw the ball” without actually saying it. Thus keeping the almighty AFL at bay.

Reactions: 2 users
I just wish they would do away with the “ball was knocked out in the tackle” caveat to holding the ball. If a player has the ball and is tackled and does niot dispose of the ball legally, it should be holding the ball. Plain and simple! Annoys the hell out of me!

Reactions: 4 users
If the viewer can see it, the AFL administrators can see it as well. Movement of the ball in our game is unique and should be protected. Serial throwers should be identified just as if they committed an incident like a head high tackle and should potentially be fined.

I just wish they would do away with the “ball was knocked out in the tackle” caveat to holding the ball. If a player has the ball and is tackled and does niot dispose of the ball legally, it should be holding the ball. Plain and simple! Annoys the hell out of me!
I watched this happen at least 5 times during the Carlton game last night; my feeling is that it’s part if the ‘keep the game moving’ directive.

There’s no way the umpires are missing it that often.

And the chucking of the ball without a proper handball is becoming a feature of the game also.

Reactions: 3 users
I like the prior opportunity in general, you still want players to attack the ball first and want to take possession rather than sweat on someone else taking possession. It's not that hard - did he have prior opportunity if he has possession and is tackled and is he makin a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball once tackled? If no prior and making a genuine attempt then OK. If its knocked out by the tackler its play on. If vthey don't make a genuine attempt its a free.

I don't like players being penalised for attacking the ball and rewarded by waiting for someone else to get it.