Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Here is a rule change the game needs.Get rid of the gang tackle.Would make umpiring decisions much easier and the game would flow much better.

Watching the balta and gawn smother..the ump was dismmisive of balta,s skill and plain spiteful..like an angry nun ...meanwhile Jackson was treated with respect and awe like a favored child and allowed his full 30 seconds from 55 metres out...

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Here’s a novel idea, pay genuine pushes in the back and stop paying players for falling forward when they’re tackled. Look at players who duck into high tackles as having prior and ping them for holding the ball. I lose count of how often I shout ‘but he ducked into it!’ when I’m watching a game and the umpires goes ‘high contact’. Thank you Joel ducking Selwood!

Reactions: 6 users
Our players should all salute when an umpire awards a free against us and when we don’t receive a free.
If the afl are hellbent on making our game a farce, we should assist them.
Even our coaches, off field staff and supporters should join in.

Imagine the sight of 22 players all just standing and saluting each umpire. Then thousands more in the stands doing the same.

B304D202-A62D-4B32-9725-A72D93A7F040.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Our players should all salute when an umpire awards a free against us and when we don’t receive a free.

Imagine the sight of 22 players all just standing and saluting each umpire. Then thousands more in the stands doing the same.

View attachment 15208
It’ll be called dissent and we won’t get another 50 for the rest of the year. I still think we should make a public apology to the umpires. Take out an ad in the papers and splash it all over social media. That may make people (media, the AFL) tale notice and action. We’ll get fined, but at this stage something has to be done to highlight the problem and the feeling.

Is it just me, or are all the umpires geeky looking 27 year olds who have no idea about real footy.

i think we need some 40 year olds umpiring the game.

I have a mate who umpires VFL, he is 27 i think, a fitness freak who can run all day.
Weighs about 70kg ringing wet.

Id say i know way more about the rules than he does, he just goes off the book.
Hes a smart guy too.

View attachment 15208

If you’re being tackled, drop your knees and you’ll get a free. If you’re being tackled, throw yourself to the ground. You’ll get a free. If you’re in a marking contest wrap your opponents arm around yours. You’ll get a free. If you’re trying to get the low footy, aim your head to get under your opponents arm. You’ll get a free.
The instances of playing for free kicks has become endemic in the game which is making it so frustrating to watch. Last night I actually watched Spargo ducking and trying to get a high tackle in the demons warm up drills before the game! They *smile* train that *smile*. No wonder we don’t get the frees.

Reactions: 6 users
Here’s a novel idea, pay genuine pushes in the back and stop paying players for falling forward when they’re tackled. Look at players who duck into high tackles as having prior and ping them for holding the ball. I lose count of how often I shout ‘but he ducked into it!’ when I’m watching a game and the umpires goes ‘high contact’. Thank you Joel ducking Selwood!
An even better idea is pay a free kick and 50 against anyone who stages. Did you see Bowey flop in the last Qtr when Jack touched him in the back? It was embarrassing.

An even better idea is pay a free kick and 50 against anyone who stages. Did you see Bowey flop in the last Qtr when Jack touched him in the back? It was embarrassing.
If we did anything like that we’d be the first to be reported the charge brining game into disrepute and suspended for staging

Reactions: 2 users
The man on the mark was 55 out. I'm not justifying the umpire's decision, just replying to the OP who said that it couldn't have been play on. It was play on, according to the umpire

The umpire was wrong, it cost us a goal (possibly) and it cost us momentum. Absolutely atrocious decision. It cannot be play on when a player is lining up for goals. Many many times every game players are given the opportunity to take their shot even when it is obvious they are looking to pass it to a team mate closer, but not this time. One of the worst decisions I have ever seen, and I've seen plenty.

I commented way back about a similar thing happening in AFLW before the men's season started, players running in from the side after a mark/free kick. It needs to attract a 50m penalty as the player who has the ball is supposed to have an opportunity to kick or handball.

DS

Bad habit creeping into the game where when players are tackled & spun they fling their arms up & fall over.
Umps are falling for it as dangerous tackles.
Yep, just like falling forward in the tackle and ducking under arms to draw the high contact. These are the sort of things the umpires need to be looking at, not mucking about to see if someone flicks a toe when manning the mark or fails to show the proper ‘respect’ when they think a decision is the rough end of the pineapple.

Reactions: 3 users
If we did anything like that we’d be the first to be reported the charge brining game into disrepute and suspended for staging

There's so much staging it's unbelievable, yet NOTHING'S done about it. I hate it, it's a blight on our game.Hawkins effort last week was a disgrace & yet HE didn't get sanctioned.
I doubt the Dees flog who flew like a bird last night won't get sanctioned either.

Reactions: 3 users
There's so much staging it's unbelievable, yet NOTHING'S done about it. I hate it, it's a blight on our game.Hawkins effort last week was a disgrace & yet HE didn't get sanctioned.
I doubt the Dees flog who flew like a bird last night won't get sanctioned either.
Nah, we’re the only club who stages. Just like Cotchin is the dirtiest player in the game.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
The umpire was wrong, it cost us a goal (possibly) and it cost us momentum. Absolutely atrocious decision. It cannot be play on when a player is lining up for goals. Many many times every game players are given the opportunity to take their shot even when it is obvious they are looking to pass it to a team mate closer, but not this time. One of the worst decisions I have ever seen, and I've seen plenty.

I commented way back about a similar thing happening in AFLW before the men's season started, players running in from the side after a mark/free kick. It needs to attract a 50m penalty as the player who has the ball is supposed to have an opportunity to kick or handball.

DS
They should send a video of Balta kicking a goal from that distance to the umps this week. I don't reckon it is the 1st time it has happened to him either.