Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Ha ha..what a difference.
Tne Brisbane kicker and scrum feeder..Reynolds..tells the ref the other side have players off side.
The ref has a look and agrees and tells those players to get back.
Hows that ? . No dramas.
Players can question the ref..he gives an explanation. ..
they move on. No 50 meters. No 600 less umpires.
Yeah right. AFL.garbage.
What a difference.
NSW AND QLD VIEWERS must laugh at us..rightly so.

PS Just to repeat for those of you who are rusted on AFL...
Storm are great to watch.
Panthers are fantastic.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I remember years ago when we used to see 80 or more frees a game, didn't worry me. But the little of tonight's game I saw had a couple of tackles which were deemed dangerous and both were tackles where the player was taken sideways, clearly to avoid the possibility of a push in the back free. They really need to sort this. The tackle technique of moving the player sideways is not a dangerous tackle, but it is a result of all of the free kicks given when players dive forwards. How are you supposed to tackle without giving away a free kick these days?

It really is getting beyond a joke, the umpires are way too prominent and influencing games too much.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Umpires need to just toughen up but when you get flogs like Brad Scott calling shots footy is just going down the drain. Footy appears to be controlled an in group cliche centred around Geelong. SHocking introduced The Stand a blight on the game. Not to be out done Brad & umpire so called abuse in. His Brudder coach of Geelong pussies approves that. Now when the next CEO or who with a bit of power in the AFL system what are they going to introduce. Not much left but maybe handball out just throw or maybe point posts out in only goal posts with over goal under a point. Game these days are just a bore.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
If they want more umpires in the game how about making it a *smile* easier game to umpire? They might even have some fun doing it then. Just a theory.
It's ridiculous. Gilligan has destroyed the game.
Some of the appointments he has made are just disastrous.
Hocking general manager of football, when blind Freddy could see he had set agenda against us and then then cherry on the cake Brad Scott replacing him,
Listening to Scott explain the free kicks which will be paid if a player is abusive towards a umpire won't be tolerated anymore. Considering his 10000 incidents of disrespect towards not only umpires but key figures in the league is a disgraceful decision to put him into that position.
Why doesn't Gilligan hire Rhys Jones and Greg Williams to head the tribunal and Mark Jackson to be in charge of half time entertainment at the GF.
The sooner this *smile* pisses off the better.
Considering I could watch any game but now do 2 minute commercial channel flicks for the scores, he has destroyed the game for sooo many.

Reactions: 3 users
Ha ha..what a difference.
Tne Brisbane kicker and scrum feeder..Reynolds..tells the ref the other side have players off side.
The ref has a look and agrees and tells those players to get back.
Hows that ? . No dramas.
Players can question the ref..he gives an explanation. ..
they move on. No 50 meters. No 600 less umpires.
Yeah right. AFL.garbage.
What a difference.
NSW AND QLD VIEWERS must laugh at us..rightly so.

PS Just to repeat for those of you who are rusted on AFL...
Storm are great to watch.
Panthers are fantastic.
The NRL is a man's sport, they have cut out the cheap shot, the dangerous tackle but the game is hard and fast.
If a player does anything untowards on the ground, there suspension's are unbelievable. Dangerous tackle 8 weeks,
They aren't scared to make decisions

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Noone else notice this week every time we heard from Dimma 'we are teaching our players to get more free kicks'
No wonder we aren't winning games.
The club has lost focus and sees exactly what we see. A competition full of very poor officials paid to umpire games with a huge bias attached towards certain clubs.
I can' say in about 3 and even throw in the Footscary game the umpires have helped in the outcome.
The Carlton game, the 5 in the backs paid to 1 player, when were they going to realise he falls forward in tackles?
The StKilda the game off the ball free kick, There are 3 clowns on the ground, not 1 saw Bulter make contact to Pickett first?
The Footscary game, the disgraceful & embarrassing 2 x 50 metre penalties that sucked the energy out of Footscary.
And then we come to Last week, as soon as we hit the lead afterthe Baker snap, they virtually played the 19th man for Adelaide.
Put your house on Footscary over 40pts today.
The game has been ruined.

Zips super league
Richmond
Collingwood
Carlton
WC
Adelaide
Geelong
Essendon
Brisbane
Sydney
Stkilda merge with hawthorn
North merge with Footscary

Whats this *smile* there is a 6000 shortage of umpires.
Every time I check local footy scores someone umpired the games.
It's *smile* start paying 200 for a senior Amateur game and there will be 100 lining up.
People won't lose a satedey afternoon for 60 bucks.
In my local league there's 2 field umpires and half the time zero boundary umpires. They've adapted and if the ball goes oob, just have a ball up. It works.
This 50m penalty for reacting to a free kick against will work eventually. It will take years for umpire numbers to improve. In local football obviously the crowd abuse is a factor.
Anyone watch local football in Victoria? How many field umpires?

I think the game is average to watch anyway and the stupid adjudications are the unfortunate icing on the cake. A lot of games look and feel very very similar. A hell of a lot of scrummaging inside the forward line,skilless panicking chucking it around, and the truly talented players with very little space to do their thing. A lot of extremely fit men bolting from one end of the ground constantly for 2 hours. Looks like organised professional British bulldog a lot of the time.

• Haha
  • Love
In my local league there's 2 field umpires and half the time zero boundary umpires. They've adapted and if the ball goes oob, just have a ball up. It works.
This 50m penalty for reacting to a free kick against will work eventually. It will take years for umpire numbers to improve. In local football obviously the crowd abuse is a factor.
Anyone watch local football in Victoria? How many field umpires?
Start paying them properly and they will turn up.
If i was getting $200 -250 for some *smile* heads to give it to me, who gives a flying toss.
Some of our umpires get over 150k in the AFL.
Stop being soft.
Umpires should all be trained in 'Harden the *^* up'.

Is Brad Scott going to fine his brother for all of his ridiculous antics in the box when his team gets a free kick against them?

Reactions: 1 users
I think the game is average to watch anyway and the stupid adjudications are the unfortunate icing on the cake. A lot of games look and feel very very similar. A hell of a lot of scrummaging inside the forward line,skilless panicking chucking it around, and the truly talented players with very little space to do their thing. A lot of extremely fit men bolting from one end of the ground constantly for 2 hours. Looks like organised professional British bulldog a lot of the time.
Roos and Malthouse coached teams were hard to watch. Football was low scoring, ultra defensive in the early 00s. None of the Whatelely rule changes designed to save the game have made a shred of difference. 50m penalty for talking to umps is working. But its going to take years for the impact to be felt. To reverse a problem in people wanting to umpire

Its funny, I watched the game late last night on Kayo and you can fast forward using +15 second button which I was using. Amazing how many times I hit the +15 second button and the ball is in the same position (or moved marginally). Also how much time is wasted at ball ups and ball ins.

watching the stream of Sth Freo V WC reserves.

its like a different code.

im keeping a tally of what i think are subjective, technical, mostly stupid frees.

at quarter time, it looks like this

Ruck Infringment: 0
DOB: 0
Not 15: 0
dangerous Tackle: 0
sliding in below knees: 0
Blocking in a marking contest: 0
unrealistic attempt: 0
dissent: 0
score reviews: 0

of the 10 free kicks paid,

3 were deemed Throws
3 were deemed Holding the Ball
3 were deemed In the Back

and i missed one

This is theoretically the same code, playing by the same rules.

But it really doesnt look like it.

*smile* you Hocking. *smile* you Gil. *smile* you Scott

but the media must also take a decent chunk of responsibility for *smile* up Our Game.

the umps arent miked, the commentators are simply calling the footy without the suckhole bullcrap, theres no score reviews.

Reactions: 6 users
watching the stream of Sth Freo V WC reserves.

its like a different code.

im keeping a tally of what i think are subjective, technical, mostly stupid frees.

at quarter time, it looks like this

Ruck Infringment: 0
DOB: 0
Not 15: 0
dangerous Tackle: 0
sliding in below knees: 0
Blocking in a marking contest: 0
unrealistic attempt: 0
dissent: 0

of the 10 free kicks paid,

3 were deemed Throws
3 were deemed Holding the Ball
3 were deemed In the Back

and i missed one

This is theoretically the same code, playing by the same rules.

But it really doesnt look like it.

*smile* you Hocking. *smile* you Gil. *smile* you Scott
Been saying for years that on a general level, footy at a lesser grade is far more enjoyable, or should I say, easier to watch and digest.

You don’t have to put up with all the bs.

Reactions: 3 users
Been saying for years that on a general level, footy at a lesser grade is far more enjoyable, or should I say, easier to watch and digest.

You don’t have to put up with all the bs.

yeah ive always watched lots of grassroots, but prioritised the big league.

those days are behind i think

Unrealistic attempt. Add that rule to the *smile* pile. FFS we cannot be discouraging players from flying for marks. Should only be paid if its comedically obviously mistimed. It shouldn't be hard.

Adelaide player just flew for a mark in a big pack, UA, if he had taken it, it would have been a Roachy/ Sean Smith special. It wasn't mistimed, it was just a spectacular courageous attempt at a mark with a very high degree of difficulty. Anyone who knows footy can see the difference, the ump couldn't though.