Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Eddie Maguire has a solution for the current umpire farce
He has called for the scrapping of boundary and goal umpires and replacing them with 8 field umpires
The blue x representing the umps positioning View attachment 15166
:bash
Just needs a 3 lane roundabout in the center to really screw everyone up.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sawers would always screw us.
Goldspink was another
Who can forget Bannister
And Bloody Peter Cameron...hated us !

Thats why I lost my Sh!t back in the day at Waverly when Piggy kicked 17. I gave him a mouthful near the fence late, and he blew me a kiss.

Little pr!ck :cautious:

Not sure if this better off in the Hardwick thread or not but he spent a minute today in the Melbourne pre game journo chat talking about our ‘inability to attract free kicks’. @DavidSSS he has seen your chart or someone in the Richmond footy department has made the same one. He said effectively that the ones we don’t get is the problem and we give away just the same as other teams although and as @The Big Richo has pointed out we also have some serial offenders that give away too many vs average.

Not sure if there is a stat out there on incorrect free kicks NOT paid by team. Given you play 17 other teams (and only don’t not play yourself - apologies grammar freaks) you’d expect on average you receive the same amount as other teams - especially over a longer time period. So a good proxy for how screwed over you get is league average frees received - your average frees received in which case we’ve been reamed.

One of the journos intimated did this mean we should lead with the head more and Hardwick quickly stamped on that and said we don’t encourage that.

The journalist effectively implied if you ducked more and played for high contact that is the obvious solution.

A lot that wasn’t said was said in this one - don’t have the time stamp but was three or four minutes in.

Reactions: 5 users
Whats this *smile* there is a 6000 shortage of umpires.
Every time I check local footy scores someone umpired the games.
It's *smile* start paying 200 for a senior Amateur game and there will be 100 lining up.
People won't lose a satedey afternoon for 60 bucks.

Brad Scott is a flog.
Seriously out of all the people to front the media to explain bagging the umpires won't be accepted anymore. He wouldve been the last person I wouldve chosen. Why didn't they get Dermie & Desiel Williams to do the press conference?
When Gilligan last day? Seriously he has destroyed the game

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,
Hope Freddy Luro does not come off the bench when we hit the front Sunday.

Has a penetrating 50 metre kick that sets up easy goals at will.
Likes eating pips,throws the flesh away which is strange.

Yep.
The original rule was invented to stop players just wildly sliding in at the ball and taking out players legs who were already at the vicinity of the ground ball. As per most of the rule inventions at H.Q. it's metamorphosed into penalise the bloke who's head down arse up chasing the loose ground ball n reward the *smile* for standing in his way.
If the ball doesn't roll your way, you're not allowed to chase it along the ground any more. You have to stand n wait for someone else to have a turn at picking it up if it happens to roll in their direction.
TM reckon Dimma's comment about needing to get better at winning free kicks was both mischievous and ingenious. Essentially telling the AFL suits that perhaps the RFC will now start adopting strategies that are specifically designed at exploiting the rules in a similar way to certain other teams. Is it really in the spirit of the game to stage for kicks...? No! Do we need to redress our free kick imbalance? Absolutely.

Not sure if this better off in the Hardwick thread or not but he spent a minute today in the Melbourne pre game journo chat talking about our ‘inability to attract free kicks’. @DavidSSS he has seen your chart or someone in the Richmond footy department has made the same one. He said effectively that the ones we don’t get is the problem and we give away just the same as other teams although and as @The Big Richo has pointed out we also have some serial offenders that give away too many vs average.

Not sure if there is a stat out there on incorrect free kicks NOT paid by team. Given you play 17 other teams (and only don’t not play yourself - apologies grammar freaks) you’d expect on average you receive the same amount as other teams - especially over a longer time period. So a good proxy for how screwed over you get is league average frees received - your average frees received in which case we’ve been reamed.

One of the journos intimated did this mean we should lead with the head more and Hardwick quickly stamped on that and said we don’t encourage that.

The journalist effectively implied if you ducked more and played for high contact that is the obvious solution.

A lot that wasn’t said was said in this one - don’t have the time stamp but was three or four minutes in.
Easy solution Hardwick. Play in Bulldogs jumpers.

TM reckon Dimma's comment about needing to get better at winning free kicks was both mischievous and ingenious. Essentially telling the AFL suits that perhaps the RFC will now start adopting strategies that are specifically designed at exploiting the rules in a similar way to certain other teams. Is it really in the spirit of the game to stage for kicks...? No! Do we need to redress our free kick imbalance? Absolutely.
Yep. Dimma's been throwing out riddles to the dumb AFL for some time now.

Received a Survey from AFL today, basically wanting to know why I haven’t been to the football yet. I managed to mention rule changes, almost unrecognisable as the game I grew up with, umpire inconsistencies, 50m penalties for minor infringements, and asked them to look at Richmond’s free kick count. Also mentioned that I was not happy with digital ticketing and lack of consultation. Hope others actually send off their Surveys. AFLobviously concerned with drop off of numbers.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Received a Survey from AFL today, basically wanting to know why I haven’t been to the football yet. I managed to mention rule changes, almost unrecognisable as the game I grew up with, umpire inconsistencies, 50m penalties for minor infringements, and asked them to look at Richmond’s free kick count. Also mentioned that I was not happy with digital ticketing and lack of consultation. Hope others actually send off their Surveys. AFLobviously concerned with drop off of numbers.
Hmm, a survey a week or so after Gilligan got tapped on the shoulder.

• Love
Whats this *smile* there is a 6000 shortage of umpires.
Every time I check local footy scores someone umpired the games.
It's *smile* start paying 200 for a senior Amateur game and there will be 100 lining up.
People won't lose a satedey afternoon for 60 bucks.
If they want more umpires in the game how about making it a *smile* easier game to umpire? They might even have some fun doing it then. Just a theory.

We know how the season is going to pan out, we'll have to put up with all these inconstant, tiggy touchwood free kicks, and then come finals time the umpires will put away the whistle:mad:

Ha ha ..childish idiocy is the umpiring.
Whistle blows at every contest.
Players treated like pre schoolers.
Umpires dominate the game and determine outcomes while confusing players and spectators.

My advice to you all..walk away from AFL this year until common sense returns. Watch NRL..yes not what we know but simple and not yet ruined by nonsense rules.
Storm are very entertaining.
Penrith are sensational.
Even Brisbane v Dogs..both weak teams...is a good game. Nothing that drives you crazy. Umpiring sensible and mature.

Last edited:
The AFL want the umpires to be the stars of the show. The players are just there for them to perform against. This will presumably encourage people to take umpiring.