Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

It happened yesterday. Ump called 50. Nobody reacted, then he obviously changed his mind and pretended he hadn't and just set the mark where the free was. One of the commentators noticed it.
Exactly Snake. Can’t remember which umpire called 50 then another said I think no 50 , something to that affect. There was definitely another voice. I think Eleni was overruled???

So if we are correct on the above then why doesn’t it happen more?

Goodness sakes there are 3 of them.

Sometimes an umpire overrules another umpires decision some 50 metres way!

Reactions: 2 users
How did the AFL come up with the data stating the game is 6000 umpires short and its because of abuse? Did they conduct statewide exit interviews, or run a poll of ex-umpires, send out a questionnaire? Where is this info... has it been publicly released? ....or did they just do what they normally do and overreact based on a couple of snapshots that received media attention. If they conducted a proper investigation into why the game has lost umpires they may not like the results, as it would probably point to disenchantment with the ridiculous week by week alteration of rule 'interpretations' making it impossible for umpires to adjudicate consistently....and to look like gooses in the process. Who wants to go out in public every week in front of squillions of people and look like an idiot?
NLF I said exactly the same thing in my post yesterday.

6000 ? Really? This figure just plucked out of the air to justify their rule change?

There is no real issue that I have seen the past 3 years watching my son play. The issue is with the supporters/parents. Not the players. They may disagree with decisions but get on with it when the umpire balls it up or a free is given.

This rule(s) changes and interpretation of these rule(s) is what will cause frustration and abuse ( never acceptable ) voicing and will alienate the fans. We are the game. Not the AFL.

Reactions: 4 users
How did the AFL come up with the data stating the game is 6000 umpires short and its because of abuse? Did they conduct statewide exit interviews, or run a poll of ex-umpires, send out a questionnaire? Where is this info... has it been publicly released? ....or did they just do what they normally do and overreact based on a couple of snapshots that received media attention. If they conducted a proper investigation into why the game has lost umpires they may not like the results, as it would probably point to disenchantment with the ridiculous week by week alteration of rule 'interpretations' making it impossible for umpires to adjudicate consistently....and to look like gooses in the process. Who wants to go out in public every week in front of squillions of people and look like an idiot?
I really believe that umpire numbers crashed from 2019 ,the last full proper season and that not playing 2020,2021 has many not coming back as they have enjoyed their new found freedom,
Many will even exaggerate or twist their reasons for now not umpiring,but the fact remains that if 2020,2021 was normal,they still would be umpiring.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly Snake. Can’t remember which umpire called 50 then another said I think no 50 , something to that affect. There was definitely another voice. I think Eleni was overruled???

So if we are correct on the above then why doesn’t it happen more?

Goodness sakes there are 3 of them.

Sometimes an umpire overrules another umpires decision some 50 metres way!
I’m sure there’s somebody talking to the umps through their earpiece and giving them directions

Reactions: 1 users
Umpire numbers are dwindling but the abuse is not the core reason.

Twenty years ago I was the recruitment officer and Boundary coach for an umpiring league. (I was still a central umpire).

In the four years I was in that dual position I recruited a quite few central Umpires and at least 50 boundary Umpires.

While boundary umpires didn't solve our central Umpire needs, over the four seasons and beyond those boundary Umpires began to cross over to central umpires at

the rate of about 6 to 8 per year and within 3 years of the crossover to central Umpiring many had developed into our most outstanding umpires.

Jake Mollison was one of these Umpires. (I know, he hates Richmond sorry about that)

By the end of the fourth season we had more boundary Umpires on our list than we had positions for.

Politics came into play and our committee complained to me about the behavior of the young Umpires after training (58 ) and I should control them.

The behavior was just young kids just mucking around with mates on the oval after training.

Within two seasons still whinging about why the kids were not under control I was removed and two Army umpires were appointed and the numbers plummeted and

by the next season they had 20 boundaries on their list.

Within 3 seasons the central Umpire shortage began and is still an issue today.

While Recruiting I targeted teenage footballers, athletes, hockey players, soccer and cricket players selling them and their parents on the concept it was the best

paying gig for juniors (triple per hr than Maca's) it helped you get fit , it helped you develop your confidence and you got to hang out with your mates.

I didn't sell their parents a false tale as about 80% of those boundaries went on to become tradies, get degrees at uni or own their own/ or manage businesses .

From my own experience in the field, the lack of understanding on what motivates young people to take up umpiring and not understanding the support needed to

retain these young people is the biggest hurdle preventing the umpire recruitment today.

When I would ask a young boundary if they would like to give central a go only about 20% cited players being abusive as a reason not to, the rest were happy to give

it a go.

It was the older footballers who were about to retire who would give that as the main reason not to take up umpiring after retirement.

It may have been that or their wives who were "football widows on Saturdays for 8 months of the year for the previous 15 years didn't want to be Umpire widows for

the next 10 years.

So from my experience the lack of umpires is not the abuse it is far more complex and Scotts heavy handed actions as head of Umpiring will not make any appreciable

difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Here is a left field idea. How about the AFL let the umpires seem like human beings instead of omnipotent infallible gods? I remember the days when players would have a go at umpire and the umpire would more often than not have a witty comeback, then you’d see both have a laugh about it. What if maybe, just maybe , the AFL comes out from time to time and say” yeah, look, that decision was wrong, but at the time…..”, or even more, have actual umpires explain some decisions. Humanise them. Instead of having them train on how to puff their chests out or stick their butts out , give them some lessons from comedians on how to use comebacks, like how they deal with hecklers. Don’t get me wrong, if a player abuses an ump like saying stuff like “ you’re a *smile* *smile*” etc then by all means penalise them with frees against, 50’s, reports or even suspension. But don’t penalise them if they are questioning a decision. If people see players and umpires bantering on the field, I doubt there would be as much hatred and abuse towards umpires.
Humanise them rather than make them robots that can do no wrong and can’t be questioned.

Reactions: 9 users
Why can't some of these footy shows have an umpire segment like 'What's your decision' on World of Sport had? Does the AFL need to shield them that much?

Why can't some of these footy shows have an umpire segment like 'What's your decision' on World of Sport had? Does the AFL need to shield them that much?
The AFL would consider such a show as abuse/harassment of umpires
Questioning umpire decisions in No No under Chairman Brad Scott

Here is a left field idea. How about the AFL let the umpires seem like human beings instead of omnipotent infallible gods? I remember the days when players would have a go at umpire and the umpire would more often than not have a witty comeback, then you’d see both have a laugh about it. What if maybe, just maybe , the AFL comes out from time to time and say” yeah, look, that decision was wrong, but at the time…..”, or even more, have actual umpires explain some decisions. Humanise them. Instead of having them train on how to puff their chests out or stick their butts out , give them some lessons from comedians on how to use comebacks, like how they deal with hecklers. Don’t get me wrong, if a player abuses an ump like saying stuff like “ you’re a *smile* *smile*” etc then by all means penalise them with frees against, 50’s, reports or even suspension. But don’t penalise them if they are questioning a decision. If people see players and umpires bantering on the field, I doubt there would be as much hatred and abuse towards umpires.
Humanise them rather than make them robots that can do no wrong and can’t be questioned.

Going back a few years the Umpires used to go into the social rooms after games, have a few beers a chat, a laugh & so on, many a time we'd have a laugh & razz each other abut a decision or a dropped mark etc. Often when you'd ask about a particular "wrong" decision they'd say yeah well I got that one wrong but it was squared up later you got an iffy one the next quarter or so.
Unfortunately that no longer seems to happen as much. More's the pity.

Reactions: 1 users
The AFL would consider such a show as abuse/harassment of umpires
Questioning umpire decisions in No No under Chairman Brad Scott
I heard one of them tell a player that it was about respect, like he was somehow better than the player. The player should have told him that respect is earned.

They'll need a 24 hour dedicated channel.

And that is just for our games.

• Haha
Eddie Maguire has a solution for the current umpire farce
He has called for the scrapping of boundary and goal umpires and replacing them with 8 field umpires
The blue x representing the umps positioning A719802E-A563-4755-AB1E-A315DB02906A.jpeg
:bash

Going back a few years the Umpires used to go into the social rooms after games, have a few beers a chat, a laugh & so on, many a time we'd have a laugh & razz each other abut a decision or a dropped mark etc. Often when you'd ask about a particular "wrong" decision they'd say yeah well I got that one wrong but it was squared up later you got an iffy one the next quarter or so.
Unfortunately that no longer seems to happen as much. More's the pity.

This is actually a very good point.

Players and supporters felt like they knew the umpires back then. Not on a best mates basis, but knew them all the same.

Now they are a protected species, not to be criticised in any way shape or form. And the game is poorer for it.

My favourite umpire will always be Glenn James. Great decision maker who always seemed to have a great rapport with the players. Mind you, the rules were much simpler back in those days. Oh for the good old days…..

Brad Scott did nothing to make me feel at ease with this rule or how this game is umpired.

How he could say the decisions were right are beyond most football loving supporters.

You have umpires across let’s say this round picking and choosing when to apply this ‘dissent rule’.

To me and most of the supporters I’ve spoken too the rules recently introduced are not ‘in the spirit of the game’. The countless introductions to rules are so open to interpretation is at the heart of the AFL’s problems. To me saying that there is a shortage of 6000 umpires and ITS because of the ABUSE they cop is a cop out to what is the real problem. If supporters and even commentators are not sure why a free has been given, why it wasn’t then how the hell are we going to get consistent umpiring decisions?? They look confused, unsure themselves out there.

I will acknowledge that in junior levels or lower levels umpires do cop unwanted calls from supporters about decisions but not by 6000 numbers. I reckon that’s just a smokescreen to getting this rule implemented.

Yet Brad Scott comments on Trent Cotchin yet doesn’t comment on his brothers side of serial duckers ( which is a dangerous act/behaviour) , checkers and divers.

Doubling down on umpire dissent is good and fine as I don’t condone behaviour which is aggressive, threatening, abusive behaviour towards umpires but raising ‘your hands up’ or ‘pointing to the screen ‘ or ‘politely querying ‘ a decision is ‘demonstrative’ is just beyond me.

The AFL needs to firstly :

Make umpires full time. I would pay them a handsome salary reflective of their experience. I know you make have umpires who might be lawyers, accountants , whatever on good money. Pay them above the money they are earning doing their full time job to become full time umpires.

From the junior levels pays those umpiring the game on Saturday or Sundays say double, triple what they are currently paid.

Full time umpires. Full time job. Full time feedback, review, assessment and improving their craft.
Make umpires known to the fan. Humanise them. What we are seeing and hearing at games is ‘fans’ angry , upset, confused at the decisions they make which are making things worse.
The game can afford some of these suggestions through the billion they will get from their next broadcast rights to help grassroots football, the junior umpires, the AFL umpires and most importantly the FANS. Because without us the game we grew up playing, loving, supporting with suffer.

If they are only concerned with the broadcasters, the TV viewers , they will ultimately lose the fans.

Covid isn’t the reason crowd numbers are low.

Make it easier to go, book and sit at the game. It’s a mess. It’s hard.

The rush to bring in the AFLW game and the number of clubs wasn’t necessary but look I understand as I can see the affect this has had on young girls taking up the sport and the numbers of participation. The season just finished and it looks like they will be starting in August again. It shows the AFL again not thinking through things from the start but rushing to show inclusiveness. Most of these girls have jobs, families, school so to make this even more marketable and more of an attractive spectacle as with the umpires make them full time not just a past time.

Hopefully the new CEO who comes in can do more by listening to the fans. Review these rule changes implemented the past four years by Hocking without proper consultation, rushed and bring the game back to the FANS.

I am but one voice.

I use to watch other games, other teams but I find myself falling out of love with the game.

I have found myself not attending games and at times not being able to watch OUR games because I am so confused and disheartened with the continual rule changes.
Summed up my thoughts exactly!

This is actually a very good point.

Players and supporters felt like they knew the umpires back then. Not on a best mates basis, but knew them all the same.

Now they are a protected species, not to be criticised in any way shape or form. And the game is poorer for it.

My favourite umpire will always be Glenn James. Great decision maker who always seemed to have a great rapport with the players. Mind you, the rules were much simpler back in those days. Oh for the good old days…..
Off the top of my head from the 80’s and maybe the 90’s.Glenn James, Bill Deller, Ian Robinson, Rohan Sawers, Peter Carey, Bryan Sheehan
That was from 30-40 years ago. These days apart from chamberlain, I would struggle to actually identify an umpire. In 30-40 years time I doubt anyone would remember the past few batches of umpires

Off the top of my head from the 80’s and maybe the 90’s.Glenn James, Bill Deller, Ian Robinson, Rohan Sawers, Peter Carey, Bryan Sheehan
That was from 30-40 years ago. These days apart from chamberlain, I would struggle to actually identify an umpire. In 30-40 years time I doubt anyone would remember the past few batches of umpires
Sawers would always screw us.
Goldspink was another
Who can forget Bannister

Umpire numbers are dwindling but the abuse is not the core reason.

Twenty years ago I was the recruitment officer and Boundary coach for an umpiring league. (I was still a central umpire).

In the four years I was in that dual position I recruited a quite few central Umpires and at least 50 boundary Umpires.

While boundary umpires didn't solve our central Umpire needs, over the four seasons and beyond those boundary Umpires began to cross over to central umpires at

the rate of about 6 to 8 per year and within 3 years of the crossover to central Umpiring many had developed into our most outstanding umpires.

Jake Mollison was one of these Umpires. (I know, he hates Richmond sorry about that)

By the end of the fourth season we had more boundary Umpires on our list than we had positions for.

Politics came into play and our committee complained to me about the behavior of the young Umpires after training (58 ) and I should control them.

The behavior was just young kids just mucking around with mates on the oval after training.

Within two seasons still whinging about why the kids were not under control I was removed and two Army umpires were appointed and the numbers plummeted and

by the next season they had 20 boundaries on their list.

Within 3 seasons the central Umpire shortage began and is still an issue today.

While Recruiting I targeted teenage footballers, athletes, hockey players, soccer and cricket players selling them and their parents on the concept it was the best

paying gig for juniors (triple per hr than Maca's) it helped you get fit , it helped you develop your confidence and you got to hang out with your mates.

I didn't sell their parents a false tale as about 80% of those boundaries went on to become tradies, get degrees at uni or own their own/ or manage businesses .

From my own experience in the field, the lack of understanding on what motivates young people to take up umpiring and not understanding the support needed to

retain these young people is the biggest hurdle preventing the umpire recruitment today.

When I would ask a young boundary if they would like to give central a go only about 20% cited players being abusive as a reason not to, the rest were happy to give

it a go.

It was the older footballers who were about to retire who would give that as the main reason not to take up umpiring after retirement.

It may have been that or their wives who were "football widows on Saturdays for 8 months of the year for the previous 15 years didn't want to be Umpire widows for

the next 10 years.

So from my experience the lack of umpires is not the abuse it is far more complex and Scotts heavy handed actions as head of Umpiring will not make any appreciable

difference.
But all the commentators and journos and ex players who only ever see elite football will just keep parottimg the HQ narrative.