Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The chances are a lot better if try than if you don't.

Tigerbob said:
I think some people are underestimating Cousins impact now, and what he offers in the future for our club. The difference at the club is massive, being around at the start of the year, and being there now.

Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine. I understand how some could look at Ben Cousins and the situation in black and white, but I see it much more than that. I have not seen a better leader at our club in my lifetime, so for me, my opinion would be how can you give away something like that? I am 26, so you are talking at least 15 years of watching footy intensively I have not seen a better leader in the yellow and black.

Impossible to give away!

Footy is a lot more than players running around kicking the footy through the big sticks, and a football club is a complex place. It takes a lot of special ingredients to forge a successful culture and have that settle throughout a club, and I think the main ingredient is leadership. Ben Cousins in my opinion, and it's only my opinion, is helping change the culture of our football club. Many have tried to, he is succeeding.

For those reasons that I know the club lacks, he is an untradable commodity for mine.

His age is insignificant, his qualities are one of a kind.

You talk about West Coast now, well he left on weird terms and I know the club has distanced themselves from him and I am sure he let a lot of those young guys as well as older players down. do not underestimate the impact of that.

We are very fortunate to have him, and even more fortunate he is remaining clean and having an impact for our club. West Coast's loss (no fault of theirs) is our gain. We would be stupid to let that go.

Bob, if you were offered Otten, Beams, Ward, Tippett or Pears for Cousins, would you do any of those deals?

Phantom said:
As most would know, I generally have pretty firm rules on twilight players.
But there are always exceptions.

One of the most important elements of leadership is the influence that a Leader can have on others, in terms of extra-effort, efficiency & satisfaction.

If I look at other twilighters at Tigerland - Richo, Bowden, Brown, et al - I cannot necessarily say that they have that extra influence on others.
With Cousins, his influence is quite clear.

Cousins, in his current pattern, should continue his onfield leadership role at Tigerland, with a view to continuing it off the field when he retires.

This man has intangible qualities that we cannot afford to lose.

PS. Can't believe how much my view on Cousins has changed over the year.

Good on you Phantom for having the guts to point on how much your view has changed.

Some still seem to be looking at reasons to bemoan the fact that he is at Punt Road. Comparing his efficiency to those who get the ball a quarter as much? Don't understand.

To me, Cousins is doing to our midfield exactly what Dermot Brereton did for Sav Rocca in 1995. Sav kicked 93 that year with Dermie providing invaluable cover. I exepct Cousins to do the same thing with Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling, Collins, Jackson and one of Martin/Trengrove/Morabito for the next two years. Is it not suprsing that some of these boys are taking massive steps forward this year with the arrival of Cousins? I cannot simply ignore that fact.

GoodOne said:
He's playing well no doubt but to say he's in his prime? He has a long way to go to reach his peak consistent performance of the past and I doubt he will ever get there again.

The point is you sound like you would trade him at 35 or 40. Why? Because you'd believe his time is limited and it would be adantageous to trade. I feel his time is limited at his current age (he will be 32 next year) especially with his tissue injury issues. So in effect we are in agreeance, just with a different tiemframe of our belief of how long he will last.

Once again it would never happen as no-one would offer a 2nd rounder for Cousins at his age. So on that basis its great that Cousins has been able to overcome injury this year and have a positive influence on the younger players. His work ethic and professionalism when it comes to preparation is second to none.

As I said earlier in this thread GoodOne...why are posters so hell-bent on trading players as soon as they are deemed to have 'value'?
(And I don't think I need to go on any further regarding his leadership qualities and experience he brings to the group that no other player at Richmond can bring to the table)

I can't see why Cousins couldn't see out his playing days at Richmond and then, if both parties are willing and able, maybe even have him as a future midfield coach?
Its something to think about also.

But trading Cousins...or even contemplating it...is bordering on ridiculous.

Disco08 said:

Bob, if you were offered Otten, Beams, Ward, Tippett or Pears for Cousins, would you do any of those deals?

If I was offered all of the above for Cousins I suppose I would make the deal.

But would you take any of Brad Howard, Clayton Collard, Chris Schidmt, Danny Stanley, Cleve Hughes or Wayde Mills? You can throw names out the window.

If Chris Judd says that Ben Cousins played a major role in his developement who are we to think that our Cubs cannot learn from him?

Disco08 said:

No.

Cousins brings us more in my opinion as I have stated in my earlier post.

Also replace those names with what SCOOP has said and it will be the worst move for the club.

Too many intangibles for mine, Cousins stays.

Liverpool said:
As I said earlier in this thread GoodOne...why are posters so hell-bent on trading players as soon as they are deemed to have 'value'?
(And I don't think I need to go on any further regarding his leadership qualities and experience he brings to the group that no other player at Richmond can bring to the table)

I can't see why Cousins couldn't see out his playing days at Richmond and then, if both parties are willing and able, maybe even have him as a future midfield coach?
Its something to think about also.

But trading Cousins...or even contemplating it...is bordering on ridiculous.

1) Cousins hasn't "just" come good - he is nearing the end of his career

2) Given his strong WA ties, what makes you think he wants to stay in Victoria post career?

3) Has he given any indication on having an interest in coaching?

For 2&3, I suspect this is more supporter hopes than backed by anything Cousins has said. As such, its an odd basis to make a decision to keep him.

Disco08 said:
Why not dave?

What if we were offered something around pick 19-25 for him?

He's been outstanding Disco.We offer him a 1 year deal and go with it.If it turns out good, give him another year.If it turns sour,which i don't think will happen,well haven't lost much at all have we.

SCOOP said:
 Comparing his efficiency to those who get the ball a quarter as much?  Don't understand.  

Like some do with Jacko when he has a heap of possessions and a reasonable disposal efficiency?  ;)

The Cousins as a future coach argument is a good one. Assuming he's actually interested in coaching and staying in Melbourne when his playing days are over I'd see it as a good reason not to trade him.

Let's assume he's not interested though, if someone offered you pick 20 would you trade him Livers?

SCOOP said:
If I was offered all of the above for Cousins I suppose I would make the deal.

But would you take any of Brad Howard, Clayton Collard, Chris Schidmt, Danny Stanley, Cleve Hughes or Wayde Mills? You can throw names out the window.

If Chris Judd says that Ben Cousins played a major role in his developement who are we to think that our Cubs cannot learn from him?

Geez, I'd trade any of those guys for Cuz in a heartbeat. I understand there's a risk element but the second round is certainly throwing out some beauties the last few years.

I'm sure our kids are learning from him too. In fact they should have learnt pretty much everything he has to teach in a year.

tigerdave said:
He's been outstanding Disco.We offer him a 1 year deal and go with it.If it turns out good, give him another year.If it turns sour,which i don't think will happen,well haven't lost much at all have we.

If we turn down pick 25 for him and the player we had in mind at that time turns out to be very good we'll have lost quite a bit by not making the deal.

As Tooheys said, this isn't about how good Cousins has been. No one's arguing that point.

Disco08 said:

If you could guarantee that our second round pick would be as good as some of those players MIGHT turn out to be then of course you would seriously consider it.

But you can't. The draft is a glorified raffle and Cuz is worth more to the team than the slight chance that we might actually win the raffle for once!

Trading good established veterans for earlyish picks? Other clubs do that don't they KFCC?

agincourt said:
If you could guarantee that our second round pick would be as good as some of those players MIGHT turn out to be then of course you would seriously consider it.

But you can't. The draft is a glorified raffle and Cuz is worth more to the team than the slight chance that we might actually win the raffle for once!

Of course you can't, but the more picks you have when there are still good players on the board the more likely you are to find guys who will be part of the club's future.

Disco08 said:
I'm sure our kids are learning from him too. In fact they should have learnt pretty much everything he has to teach in a year.

As I posted earlier Disco generally it takes 12 months for a player to get settled at a new club. To be comfortable with the playing group. Ben would have a lot more to offer. That fact that it was the first time he had addressed the players on the field on Sunday speaks volumes IMO.

Trade Benny, you've gotta be kidding yourselves surely.

His onfield leadership is outstanding, his off field training and lead by example likewise. His experience and football knowledge that he can pass on to the young players, its priceless stuff, you can't buy that knowledge off the street.

Brownlow Medialist, Grand Final winner, a man who knows how to win and how to get to the very top.

He's clearly had problems off the field and over the Perth, but it appears that is behind him now.

PEOPLE WANT TO TRADE that sort of person FOR WHAT, some kid that may or may not come anywhere near what Benny has done in his career and his first year at Richmond.

Christ, remember how many members gave the Club an absolute Rocket over their decision not to recruit Cousins in the pre season draft. The members overturned that decision, yet not even 12 months later people are saying Ben Cousins should be traded for a maybe 2nd round draft pick.

I don't believe the Club would be so stupid to trade Ben Cousins. What the Club should do is what the Pies have done with Malthouse and Buckley, keep Cousins playing in 2010 and perhaps 2011 (if his body holds up), then employ him full time at the club in a coaching role.

All Tooheys did was ask a hypothetical question. Some of you are going on like he'd suggested selling the club to Arab rug salesmen.

Disco08 said:
All Tooheys did was ask a hypothetical question. Some of you are going on like he'd suggested selling the club to Arab rug salesmen.

Hypothetical question, its a question that should NEVER have been asked in my book.

Disco08 said:
Trading good established veterans for earlyish picks? Other clubs do that don't they KFCC?

Of course you can't, but the more picks you have when there are still good players on the board the more likely you are to find guys who will be part of the club's future.
Totally unique situation in my eyes

Tiger74 said:
1) Cousins hasn't "just" come good - he is nearing the end of his career
2) Given his strong WA ties, what makes you think he wants to stay in Victoria post career?
3) Has he given any indication on having an interest in coaching?
For 2&3, I suspect this is more supporter hopes than backed by anything Cousins has said. As such, its an odd basis to make a decision to keep him.

If he is nearing the end of his career.....why not let him see out his career at Richmond?
I didn't see Hawthorn trading Crawford when they drafted a host of young kids like Franklin, Ellis, Dowler, Thorp, etc....they kept him on so others could learn and see what it takes to become an elite player at AFL level.
It probably helped fast-track their development....and having Cousins around for another couple of seasons at least should also fast track and develop our kids, who haven't had the luxury of a Crawford/Cousins figure at the club for a long, long, time.

I didn't say he will stay in Victoria or he wants to coach....but if he has a good work ethic and has a passion and if we keep him on until the end of his playing days then he might have an inclination to stay and maybe help the next batch of Richmond players come through.
No harm in testing the waters and see...and if both parties are happy with it, then do it.

And its not that odd....look at Malthouse....he's leaving the coaching gig in a couple of years but is staying on that the club to take over a new role.
Why couldn't Cousins, after his playing days, have some sort of mentor/coaching/development role at Richmond if all parties are in agreeance?

rosy23 said:
Like some do with Jacko when he has a heap of possessions and a reasonable disposal efficiency? ;)

And there it is folks the 500th time Rosy has mentioned White and Jackson in a non related thread!!! ;D

Are you charging them for the PR work is it done pro-bono? ;D

Rosy, surely you don't want to put Daniel Jacksons skill level up againist Ben Cousins? I admire your support but both are very limited tryers but the thread is not about them.

IMO whatever we get from Cousins this year will be bettered in 2010. If his body breaks down I am happy for the club to move him along but at this stage he should be our starting centermen in 2010.