Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i belive we should be offering ben a 2 year deal with a an assistant coaching role at the end.

rockstar_tiger said:
And it would be silly to use Round 1 vs Carlton as an example of Ben's influence not being that great on big matches. He didn't feel anywhere near as part of the club back then, and was never going to walk in here, last player on our list, and tell everyone what to do. The classic Richmond culture sees us crumble in big games and Ben Cousins could be a massive benefit teaching our kids how to prepare for finals football. This benefit, in my eyes, is greater than the benefit of another 2nd rounder pushing for selection.

How about in 6 years time when the 18 year old we could have picked at 25 turns out to be a 24 year old around the calibre of say, Sam Mitchell or Leigh Montagna?

Disco08 said:
How about in 6 years time when the 18 year old we could have picked at 25 turns out to be a 24 year old around the calibre of say, Sam Mitchell or Leigh Montagna?

How about when he turns out to be a dud or does his knee and never recovers?

I'm sure they did, and Ben would have answered them and given interesting advice.

But this is a whole new level.

Also Jade Rawlings recently said when he got here, he had that superstar thing about him, and it did take a few months for that to wear off and in turn for the boys to feel more comfortable with him.

I also read early in the season he sat in a box with 4-5 kids with headphones in his ear all game, and didn't say a word to anyone, and no one said a word to him. It would have been intimidating early on and unnatural to expect too much leadership.

Right now we see him as a champion footballer, but when we got him all the talk was on drugs and the terrible things he'd done.

I'm not saying he didn't have an influence when he arrived, rather that his leadership in recent weeks has reached a whole new level and it is at this level that he can influence the habits of our team. He might even reach another level if we keep him for longer, especially if we make finals within the next 2 years.

Disco08 said:
His reputation was well known when he arrived. I'm sure those that wanted to learn would have been asking questions from day one.

Really? You think the young kids wouldn't have had a feeling out period? That Cousins would walk into the club and start giving out tidbits from day dot? I think like anyone starting a new job for the first three months you pretty much try not to step on anyone's toes. For Cousins that would have been up to Round 1. Then he does the hammy so he cannot really be giving out massive amounts of knowledge when he is still trying to prove himslef. Now that he has begun to string a few games together he is just starting to feel comfortable about his place in the club and on the weekend he has started to really become a on field leader.

rockstar_tiger said:
I'm sure they did, and Ben would have answered them and given interesting advice.

But this is a whole new level.

Also Jade Rawlings recently said when he got here, he had that superstar thing about him, and it did take a few months for that to wear off and in turn for the boys to feel more comfortable with him.

I also read early in the season he sat in a box with 4-5 kids with headphones in his ear all game, and didn't say a word to anyone, and no one said a word to him. It would have been intimidating early on and unnatural to expect too much leadership.

Right now we see him as a champion footballer, but when we got him all the talk was on drugs and the terrible things he'd done.

I'm not saying he didn't have an influence when he arrived, rather that his leadership in recent weeks has reached a whole new level and it is at this level that he can influence the habits of our team. He might even reach another level if we keep him for longer, especially if we make finals within the next 2 years.

Right on all accounts rockstar. I have stated a number of times that most say it takes 12 months for a player to get settled at a new club. Disco has obviously missed that in my posts.

It was a recent Jackson quote where he said he asked Cuz "What *smile* you the most" in relation to being tagged so that Jacko could work at becoming a better tagger.

Cuz is valuable off the field in a way a 2nd year recruit can never be.

So can we attribute any of the development of the kids this year to Cuz or is he only just starting to have an influence now?

WesternTiger said:
How about when he turns out to be a dud or does his knee and never recovers?

I understand that's part of the risk WT. Did you read the post of rockstar's I quoted before asking the question?

WesternTiger said:
Right on all accounts rockstar. I have stated a number of times that most say it takes 12 months for a player to get settled at a new club. Disco has obviously missed that in my posts.

Sorry, I'll try and pay better attention in future.

No doubt about it, Cousins is having a much bigger impact on the players than at the start of the year, on and off the field. Cotchin has spoken twice on record and plenty off record about how much he brings to the group on and off the field and as a result hopes he stays around for another couple of years.

If the kid that many of us consider to be a future sure fire captain of our club due to his already apparent leadership potential is stating such, I think we should be taking that on board.

Cousins was VERY distant when he first came to the club and gunshy, just as the players were of him to a lesser degree. All for understandable reasons.

I'm surprised to see a few references to Benny's affect on West Coast after he left, or rather the lack of it, sighting it as a example of how his leadership examples didn't last. I have no idea how people come to that conclusion.

Ha, ha. Come on Disco put the article back mate!

It really did shoot most of your arguments down didn't it?!

For those who didn't see it before Disco removed the post here are the links:

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=37079.0

And in case Disco removes it from PRE:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/the-art-of-ben-cousins/2009/06/12/1244664851199.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

WesternTiger said:
Ha, ha. Come on Disco put the article back mate!

It really did shoot most of your arguments down didn't it?!

Pretty ordinary. I removed the article and sent you a PM requesting you post articles on the Journos board and link to them if you want to use them in discussions on here.  Articles aren't to be posted on Dyer Tribe.

WesternTiger said:
For those who didn't see it before Disco removed the post here are the links:

And in case Disco removes it from PRE:

Good to know you have such a low opinion of me WT. *smile* much?

rosy23 said:
Pretty ordinary. I removed the article and sent you a PM requesting you post articles on the Journos board and link to them if you want to use them in discussions on here. Articles aren't to be posted on Dyer Tribe.

What is ordinary? The fact that I am having a debate with one of the mods and an article I post that counters most of his arguments disappears with an minute of me posting it? Please Rosy!

rockstar_tiger said:

If that story is true… lets put in this way. How would you feel if a new staff member even on his first day wore headphones at a work function?

I’m not saying Cuz isn’t giving us leadership, but I struggle to grasp what it sop invaluable about it that makes him untradeable

WesternTiger said:
What is ordinary? The fact that I am having a debate with one of the mods and an article I post that counters most of his arguments disappears with an minute of me posting it? Please Rosy!

No....Please You actually. You were wrong in your assumption on who removed the article and why. You've been around here long enough to know articles go on the Journos board. No flowers needed for Disco. I'm sure an apology would suffice. :hihi

Geez I have been one of Cousins must ardent admirers and supported him coming to the club from day dot but to knock back a second rounder for a 31 year old (hypothetically) is nonsense. The trade should be done in a heart beat.

And can people please stop using the argument that there is no gurantee that picks will turn out to be good players and that player A taken 5 spots later than player B is better than player B so downtrading is fine etc etc etc. You need to play the percentages - the higher the pick the greater chance the player has of becoming a good one. And the more the better. Simple really. The way some posters ramble on we may as well trade all our early picks and have picks 90, 91, 92 93, 94, 95 as there is just as much 'chance' of getting lucky as with top 10 picks.

Cant believe so many people venting their anger at ToO.
Good poll and I would say Yes please, Ben probably only has 12 mths left in the game at most.
Potential there for a long term player why not.
Especially when we really have about 10 players at most that may attract trade for draft in pick two rounds and all of them are under 23.