Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tiger74 said:
not sure why the players liking you is a factor in list management....

Yes, he's adding value NOW. What about in 2 years though when he is likely to be gone? Then his contribution is a memory

Have our players got amnesia or something? I'm sure they'll remember and learn from what they were told and taught.

At least Cuz's contribution to our current kids will come into fruition in 2 years time compared to a 2nd round pick who would still be moving around Coburg most of the time.

TigerForce said:
Have our players got amnesia or something? I'm sure they'll remember and learn from what they were told and taught.

At least Cuz's contribution to our current kids will come into fruition in 2 years time compared to a 2nd round pick who would still be moving around Coburg most of the time.

this is everything a midfield and development coach should be doing. Your players are their to play, not coach to "influence" as Freezer put it.

I just think that Benny provides so much that we don't have at all.

Gut Running, Leadership, Swagger, Time on the ball, Great Ball use under pressure.

I still have to pinch myself that he is in a Tigers jumpers.

SCOOP said:

Gut Running, Leadership, Swagger, Time on the ball, Great Ball use under pressure.

Spot on Scoop, about time this thread was given the arse.

SCOOP said:

Scoop I said all that and more on about page 3 mate. 88% of us know the benefit BC brings and will continue to bring to the RFC. Just let the thread disappear into cyberspace.

Guess that's all that's left to do.

We'll see in 5 or 6 years whether we'd rather have had someone from the second round of the 2009 draft or whether we're still happy with the effect Cousin's influence had on our 2010/2011 lists.

Disco08 said:
Guess that's all that's left to do.

We'll see in 5 or 6 years whether we'd rather have had someone from the second round of the 2009 draft or whether we're still happy with the effect Cousin's influence had on our 2010/2011 lists.

I get your point here and is a worthwhile one, but as a club all we really need to do to improve is keep drafting and developing picks and the future will take care of its self. We'll get good ones from all different levels of the draft just like we have been doing in recent years. Benny brings a leadership dimension to the club which is absolutely priceless and will help with that development process while he is with us; we have other players who don't bring this dimension to the club whom we would be better off trading.

geoffryprettyboy said:
You're not p!ssed off with the voting results are you?

No, not at all. I think they're kind of funny actually given the results in the other thread. And like I said, just because you have a majority doesn't always prove the thinking is right, hence my comparison to the Casey/Miller landslide.

Tiger74 said:
get coaches to coach, he is there to play

T74, he can play for probably the next 2 years, then he becomes the Midfield Coach on a full time basis at Richmond. Better yet he should be the Midfield Coach now, that would be a proactive move by the Tigers, the players listen to him, he sets the example on the field, that would be a win win IMO.

Massai said:
T74, he can play for probably the next 2 years, then he becomes the Midfield Coach on a full time basis at Richmond. Better yet he should be the Midfield Coach now, that would be a proactive move by the Tigers, the players listen to him, he sets the example on the field, that would be a win win IMO.

before you even consider that (1) does he want to coach, and (2) does he want to stay in Melbourne?

people keep talking about him staying on as an assistant, but before we start banking that chip we need to know its realistic.

given his strong WA ties, his investments are over there, and his family is over there, until he says something I am running under the assumption he will return.

That being said, if he does want to stay and coach, my position on this issue changes 100%, but we don't have any indication of that intention yet (which is why I am basing the "trade for 2nd round" decision solely on the basis of his playing contribution).

Tiger74 said:
That being said, if he does want to stay and coach, my position on this issue changes 100%, but we don't have any indication of that intention yet (which is why I am basing the "trade for 2nd round" decision solely on the basis of his playing contribution).

Which is how it should be. Anything else re coaching roles is a fantasy.

In addition if he is to sign for next season it must only be for ONE year.

Tigers of Old said:
Which is how it should be. Anything else re coaching roles is a fantasy.

In addition if he is to sign for next season it must only be for ONE year.

Should be 1 year with a 1 year option. ;)

What I was saying in my post was partly backed up in the Delidio article today.

He is quoted as saying he believes the full measure of what Cousins brings to the club will be seen when he does a full pre-season with us.

Surely you are going to have to concede second thoughts Disco with your steadfast resistance to insisting Cousins would have imparted most of what he has had to offer already. :police:

It's an important point when discussing his worth trade/delist wise.

Definitely DD. I actually really like the idea of Massai's about the possibility of him taking on some type of playing-coach role already if his influence is so tangible. Under those circumstances you probably wouldn't entertain thoughts of trading him although everyone still has their price. Would you trade him for Rich or Joel Selwood for example?

I'm still not sold that he hasn't already had a big influence on these kids though. The mere fact that Deledio is saying stuff like this points to the fact that he probably has. Who's to say some of these guys can't now assume the mantle of leaders around the club?

I have been a pro Cousins advocate from the start but to suggest he has some sort of messianic influence on the playing group is ludicrous. If the youngsters rely on Cousins to teach them how to play it says little for the players and we may as well sack all our coaches.

Disco08 said:
Definitely DD. I actually really like the idea of Massai's about the possibility of him taking on some type of playing-coach role already if his influence is so tangible. Under those circumstances you probably wouldn't entertain thoughts of trading him although everyone still has their price. Would you trade him for Rich or Joel Selwood for example?

I'm still not sold that he hasn't already had a big influence on these kids though. The mere fact that Deledio is saying stuff like this points to the fact that he probably has. Who's to say some of these guys can't now assume the mantle of leaders around the club?

Personally I think the days of playing coaches are long gone. Especially in the midfield with the rotations so high now. Cousins as a midfield coach AFTER he finishes playing has been mooted a lot on here, I would be happy with that too.

I've spoken before on here about my true preference for Ben. I'd like to have him as a High Performance/Development Coach, getting quality work rates out of all our draftees and kids and mentoring them. I'm not sure Ben would be as good a lines coach as a mentor and working one on one with players to help inspire and develop them. I'm not sure he is as interested in the cold analystical side of coaching when he is not playing as he is the being around the club and training and helping the kids develop.

It will be interesting to know how he sees Melbourne in terms of where he wants to live after he finishes playing.

All good points. The idea of him coaching for us after he retires is great but is there any indication at all the he's likely to want to do this?

Would you mind answering my question BTW? :)

jb03 said:
I have been a pro Cousins advocate from the start but to suggest he has some sort of messianic influence on the playing group is ludicrous. If the youngsters rely on Cousins to teach them how to play it says little for the players and we may as well sack all our coaches.

I don't know about others but I'm not saying that, but you have to appreciate the worth of something while you have it and someone like Ben is of a calibre we have not seen in our jumper for a very long time in terms of work ethic and experience at the highest levels of success.