Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tigers of Old said:
If you can think of other ways to get more high draft picks to the club I am all for it.

How about putting an idea forward.

I've mentioned it before in other threads. Let's TRADE our unwanted players to other clubs BEFORE DELISTING. We have nothing to lose !! We've always easily delisted players before finding out what worth they could've been to other clubs (Port showed interest in Schulz for christ's sake !!)

Draft picks don't have to be high ones. Our recruiters must put some brains into their heads and find quality players from underground and not just from the mainstream that other clubs know of.

Don't give away a valuable asset like Cuz especially when our players are publicly admitting how valuable he is for their development. In fact if he all of a sudden permanently injured himself or retired and decided to stay with us as an off-field coach, it would be a win-win situation for your want and my want as he would continue adding experience to the players (and maybe coaches) and would give us an extra pick in the draft.

Your question in this thread was valuating Cuz's experience with an untried kid's experience. Big difference there especially as we build for the next 3 years. If our players and coaches can't gain much more from him, then it's time to trade him (if any club wants him) or delist him.

So far, our players have just STARTED mentioning this. Next pre-season training will be something to watch believe me.

TigerForce said:
I've mentioned it before in other threads. Let's TRADE our unwanted players to other clubs BEFORE DELISTING. We have nothing to lose !! We've always easily delisted players before finding out what worth they could've been to other clubs (Port showed interest in Schulz for christ's sake !!)

If we don't want them, and we have a very average list, why would a better team want them?

Tiger74 said:
If we don't want them, and we have a very average list, why would a better team want them?

What's a 'better' team when it comes to trading?

Give it a go. Why did Port want Schulz? Why did Saints pick Fiora? Why did Port pick Rodan?

3 average players for us. It's all about speaking like a salesperson which we still haven't learnt.

TigerForce said:
What's a 'better' team when it comes to trading?

Give it a go. Why did Port want Schulz? Why did Saints pick Fiora? Why did Port pick Rodan?

3 average players for us. It's all about speaking like a salesperson which we still haven't learnt.

Schulz had some (not much but some) currency then. Rodan we were reluctant to delist (was either him or Krak, we picked Krak). No idea what was going on with Fiora.

As for better teams, most lists outside North and maybe the Dees (they have some nice kids though) are better than us.

Do you serious expect clubs to give up picks for Hughes or Schulz when they cannot even get a game in OUR seniors. At least Fiora could do that.

I hope at the end of the season we trade this hack Cousins.
Who does he think he is teaching our players gut running which results in them throwing up on the field and getting their jumper dirty.
Whereas before if they got a stitch they would put up their hand and walk to the interchange bench. Why is he stressing them out?
Enough is enough! Im sick of his win at all costs attitude. The sooner hes gone for a second round pick the better off we will be.
Hes No good I tell ya. :p

Tiger74 said:
Schulz had some (not much but some) currency then. Rodan we were reluctant to delist (was either him or Krak, we picked Krak). No idea what was going on with Fiora.

As for better teams, most lists outside North and maybe the Dees (they have some nice kids though) are better than us.

Do you serious expect clubs to give up picks for Hughes or Schulz when they cannot even get a game in OUR seniors. At least Fiora could do that.

Schulz never had currency with us. Hughes and Schulz have played with us.

Other clubs might see other values in our average players in which we don't. I always thought that Schulz could've been instilled at FF in every game and if we had better development, he could've become a reliable FF for us.

Like I said, Fiora & Rodan were regular seniors with Saints and Port but who cares how they perform at other clubs.

Our job is to just 'garage sale' these players for a pick no matter what round it is (Port showing interest in Meyer is another example).

Port showed interest in Meyer because he was free. Do you honestly believe they would have traded for him?

My main gripe with supporters and trades is how much we over-rate our own. We call Hughes a dud for 22 straight weeks, but then reckon the Dogs or Port will give us a second round draft pick.

I'm happy to shop before I delist, but with GC17 coming in, draft picks will be at a premium, and I doubt many of the players we have will have much currency.

Tiger74 said:
Port showed interest in Meyer because he was free. Do you honestly believe they would have traded for him?

My main gripe with supporters and trades is how much we over-rate our own. We call Hughes a dud for 22 straight weeks, but then reckon the Dogs or Port will give us a second round draft pick.

I'm happy to shop before I delist, but with GC17 coming in, draft picks will be at a premium, and I doubt many of the players we have will have much currency.

The bottom line is our players are happy with Cuz. No club wanted him before the 2008 draft so why would any club trade a 2nd round pick to us now? What are we the 'testing' team for other clubs? Just because they see Cuz adding value to our team, he all of a sudden becomes good for them?

I know it's all hypothetical but if this debate continues deeper and deeper (as it has), we all start to speak as if this would be a realistic chance of it happening. That's why it's ridiculous because it simply won't happen.

TigerForce said:
The bottom line is our players are happy with Cuz. No club wanted him before the 2008 draft so why would any club trade a 2nd round pick to us now? What are we the 'testing' team for other clubs? Just because they see Cuz adding value to our team, he all of a sudden becomes good for them?

I know it's all hypothetical but if this debate continues deeper and deeper (as it has), we all start to speak as if this would be a realistic chance of it happening. That's why it's ridiculous because it simply won't happen.

Personally I don't give a stuff if the players are happy with Cousins, thats about the last thing I would think of before delisting/trading/re-signing a player.

In terms of the hypothetical, I disagree with your notion completely expect for one point. I don't expect any clubs to make an offer for him. The Pies, Saints, and Dogs have made too many noises about how he is no good for their club (wish I had a buck for every time Eddie called him a raging drug addict), so it would be a massive about face for them to change their mind. Also think these three are the main three who could benefit from him, so if they ain't up for it its irrelevant.

On the excercise though, if someone did offer a second round pick, I still maintain we would be silly to dismiss it out of hand. I would accept a second round pick for Tuck too (but I think that is even less likely to be offered this year), so its not about Cousins the person or any other issues.

Tiger74 said:
Personally I don't give a stuff if the players are happy with Cousins, thats about the last thing I would think of before delisting/trading/re-signing a player.
The players are happy with Cuz because of what he's teaching them, not because of his presence.

Would any club be stupid enough to lose that chance?

Tiger74 said:
On the excercise though, if someone did offer a second round pick, I still maintain we would be silly to dismiss it out of hand. I would accept a second round pick for Tuck too (but I think that is even less likely to be offered this year), so its not about Cousins the person or any other issues.

I'd accept a 2nd round pick for a player that we don't really need anymore not for one who's adding value to the team overall.

Don't worry Oldie will realise the error of his ways when he sobers up. Been in Thailand for too long and now he's back here where we have real beer he has fallen out of his tree.

Don't worry he'll be back in Thailand soon. We'll all be safe again.

Thanks for the hangover too Oldie. ;D

TigerForce said:
The players are happy with Cuz because of what he's teaching them, not because of his presence.

Would any club be stupid enough to lose that chance?

I'd accept a 2nd round pick for a player that we don't really need anymore not for one who's adding value to the team overall.

not sure why the players liking you is a factor in list management....

Yes, he's adding value NOW. What about in 2 years though when he is likely to be gone? Then his contribution is a memory

Tiger74 said:
Then his contribution is a memory

Not if the players playing with him now have learnt to play at the next level, due in part to the influence he is having NOW.

Dyer Disciple said:
For example, Benny would assist in the following areas;

- His presence/aura supports subconciously in the back of the kids mind what you aspire to profile/success/reputation wise (personal demons n/a here)

- Cousins is a walking example of leadership............. It teaches the Cotchins and Jacksons and Lids how to go from setting great examples to being great leaders of men if they want to or have a natural inclination to do so.

Football clubs are dynamic places full of cliques, egos, self esteem problems and mental demons.

These points stand out for me in the range of intangibles.

Since his first press conference it has been apparent that (unlike senior players like Johnson) Cousins "gets it". He understands and accepts the deal with the devil that a player makes for this level of success. Unlike others who talk about the "fickle" fans and intrusive media he just gets on with his job.

I have been as despairing as any supporter about changing the culture at Richmond. This guy has done more to change that than any individual since Northey (who I also believe caused the biggest loss of that culture with his departure).

Freezer said:
Not if the players playing with him now have learnt to play at the next level, due in part to the influence he is having NOW.

get coaches to coach, he is there to play