Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SCOOP said:
So it is his falut?  And if You answer anything but "yes it is" then why would you even ask that question?

Is what all whose falut?

rosy23 said:
How do you know it is Cousins influence and not Rawlings, or Newman's or anybody elses Livers? A lot of the claims on this thread are as hypothetical as the poll itself.
rosy23 said:
I'm not in either camp on this thread, and I believe the cold hard facts are every player has a price, but some of the pro-Ben claims are outlandish.

Outlandish ??

* Most players and Rawlings have publicly stated it and I think Gary March has also.
* Watching him mentor and speak to the boys during games and training says it all.

It's not 100% Cuz, he's not a messiah, but his influence is very important for us NOW.

NOW, NOW, NOW

Liverpool said:
We'll cop some more thrashings as the young kids grow into their bodies and gain experience....but thats why someone like Cousins is important on and off the field.
You might not see the 100% benefits this season or even next season....but there is no way you can tell me that the players won't learn and implement certain things Cousins has spoken to them about or they have witnessed from watching him at training or preparing for a game.

I agree they probably will. In fact I'm sure they've already learnt a lot from him. What I can't understand is how you can be so sure that these things are more important than giving ourselves the chance of picking a quality junior. How good a player would these intangible qualities equate to? Would you trade Cousins for Swan? Pendlebury? Rich?

rosy23 said:
Yep claims of spirits and auras qualifies imo.

So our players and coach's public comments on Cuz are just 'visions' or 'apparitions' then?

Us supporters watching games of Cuz playing cohesive football with Lids, Chimp etc.. (for the first time) in front of our face are just delusions then?

Disco08 said:
I agree they probably will. In fact I'm sure they've already learnt a lot from him. What I can't understand is how you can be so sure that these things are more important than giving ourselves the chance of picking a quality junior. How good a player would these intangible qualities equate to? Would you trade Cousins for Swan? Pendlebury? Rich?

How do you know it's a quality junior ?

It's generally accepted that the best place to pick up quality juniors is in the first couple of rounds of the national draft.

Disco08 said:
It's generally accepted that the best place to pick up quality juniors is in the first couple of rounds of the national draft.

Generalisation.

SCOOP said:

You've lost me and haven't answered my question.  Is what all Cousins fault?  I didn't claim or imply anything was his fault so I don't know what you're on about.

no way, even when he finishes playing he can add to the development of the kids, this is the most enjoyable player ive seen in a rfc jumper since rioli... stop playing around with class

Disco08 said:
Fine, so you're in the "keep him for his intangibles" camp. That's good as long as you recognise that by turning down a trade you also take take the risk of giving up a future star. As I said, there really is no right or wrong.

That's right, there's no right or wrong... the only people who are right are those who said we should pick Cousins up in the PSD last year :)

Basically, the question is similar to "would you give up an okay 8-10 year player for 2-3 years of a champion and all the qaulities he brings to the table".

Sure, the kids will remember most of what they've learnt so far.

But will they still be running that extra yard to lay blocks for each other in 6 years time? They've only been exposed to this type of football for half a season.

We need every player on our list to be doing these hard things, even if it costs us an extra 2nd rounder.

rosy23 said:
As were Kane Johnson and Clay Sampson. It's clutching at straws to think auras and spirits are the answer. All hypothetical and airy fairy. People are making up claims to suit their own purpose rather than discussing facts. A question that can probbaly be answered is are we performing better as a team this year with Ben than we were last year without him? I'm not in either camp on this thread, and I believe the cold hard facts are every player has a price, but some of the pro-Ben claims are outlandish.

:cutelaugh Johnson and Sampson....yeah, they were Premiership players.....but nowhere in the league of importance to the team and the club that Cousins was to the Eagles.
While Judd for formally the captain of the team....Cousins was undoubtedly the spiritual leader of that team.
You cannot say the same for Johnson or Sampson.

Disco08 said:

No, no, and no.

If we had some players that had similarly experiences to Cousins....or even if we had been successful in the last few years and still had veteran players playing....then I wouldn't be so adamant about Cousins importance than what I am now.

But this is maybe a once in a career opportunity for our young players to play with one of the modern champions of the game....and not just someone with natural talent...but someone who works his arse off which surely will benefit many of the players we deem as 'elite' or 'star' and maybe they even believe it themselves and then they see how Cousins plays and the likes of Lids probably now think, "*smile*, I have a fair way to go actually."
They've had no benchmark at the club to base themselves against.....now they have.

rosy23 said:
How do you know it is Cousins influence and not Rawlings, or Newman's or anybody elses Livers? A lot of the claims on this thread are as hypothetical as the poll itself.

Because if you ask anyone at the club they all point to Cousins. That's the caretaker coach, the CEO, the Football Manager, the President, the Captain and a lot of players. Trent Cotchin has been very vocal in his praise for what Cousins has done to our squad. You only have to say "Ben Cousins" to young Trent and his eyes light up and he is full of praise for him. If you take noticed on gameday's, it's evident in every huddle, at every point in the game, when he runs past say a Deledio and pats him on the bum and says keep pushing, and Deledio can see how hard he is working that he has to chunder because he pushes his body to the limits, he has been simply immense. The intangibles he brings, you cannot teach. He is a once a generation talent and we are lucky to have him.

Talking to a few players they rave about what he has brought and the difference he has made. Everytime. It's fact.

By the pre season, Ben Cousins will be the leader of this football team, not in name, but he will be the one.

No claims in what Cousins has brought has been hypothetical. That's as you say, piffle.

It is FACT.

Tigerbob said:
Because if you ask anyone at the club they all point to Cousins. That's the caretaker coach, the CEO, the Football Manager, the President, the Captain and a lot of players. Trent Cotchin has been very vocal in his praise for what Cousins has done to our squad. You only have to say "Ben Cousins" to young Trent and his eyes light up and he is full of praise for him. If you take noticed on gameday's, it's evident in every huddle, at every point in the game, when he runs past say a Deledio and pats him on the bum and says keep pushing, and Deledio can see how hard he is working that he has to chunder because he pushes his body to the limits, he has been simply immense. The intangibles he brings, you cannot teach. He is a once a generation talent and we are lucky to have him.
Talking to a few players they rave about what he has brought and the difference he has made. Everytime. It's fact.
By the pre season, Ben Cousins will be the leader of this football team, not in name, but he will be the one.
No claims in what Cousins has brought has been hypothetical. That's as you say, piffle.
It is FACT.

Spot on Toonman :clap

Plus Lids as well has been glowing off Cuz:

"I never realised how much of a team player Ben was until you witness it first hand," Deledio said.
"I haven’t seen anyone drive as much to help out another teammate as he does and to see his workrate on game-day is phenomenal."
Deledio said Cousins was at his best in the heat of battle and believes his experience will be invaluable in helping a young Richmond side improve next season under a new coach.
"Ben works extremely hard on game-day, he grows another leg," Deledio said.
"He trains really hard and works his behind off in the gym but it’s more game day when you really notice it."

...that says a lot to me as well.
You can tell from that that Lids has learnt something about sacrifice for the team when since he was drafted he has been surrounded by players who play a "selfish" brand of footy....and over the years that rubs off onto young kids and then people wonder why we have a terrible culture.

Nows a good chance for a new generation of Tigers to learn the RIGHT way to play team footy and that has to be a good thing. 8)

WesternTiger said:
Many, many other things to bag ToO about DD! ;D

Heh Heh I made a mess of that sentence I was trying to say i see no reason for the nonsense people were posting in getting worked up about ToO raising the question. I might not agree with it but some people well and truly got a bit over excited over it.

Hell it was a better question than the usual waffle he posts.... >:D