Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GoodOne said:
Well you didnt think we'd get a 2nd round pick if he was on the injury list again with a twanged hammy and shooting drugs to ease the pain did you?

That's why it's a ridiculous question from Oldie.

Cuz was rejected by most clubs except us. So what do we stupidly do ? Play him, notice he adds leadership and skills to the kids, a club notices that Cuz WAS actually better than what every other club thought so they offer us a 2nd round pick we know nothing of, we trade him and get a kid who COULD take forever to develop into a star (as Disco08 puts it) while we see Cuz building up another club's kids and possibly retire and become skills coach with them.

Yeah brilliant idea.............NOT.

TigerForce said:
so they offer us a 2nd round pick we know nothing of

We know everything we need to know about it. It's a 2nd round pick.

It's not a ridiculous question at all. It's simply a question of philosophy. Do you do whatever possible to maximise your chances of finding quality players in the draft (while we're in the middle of a rebuild) or do you waive that in the hope that Cousins can impart a significant amount more to the playing group beyond what they've already learnt from him? I suppose there's also the position that we need Cousins because he's crucial to the challenge for the flag we're going to make in the next couple of years (which he certainly could be if we were in that position) but I think that's an unlikely scenario.

Disco08 said:
1st priority
....do you waive that in the hope that Cousins can impart a significant amount more to the playing group beyond what they've already learnt from him?
And there's more learning to come. Having Cuz in just half-a-season isn't enough.
Disco08 said:
2nd priority
Do you do whatever possible to maximise your chances of finding quality players in the draft (while we're in the middle of a rebuild).....
We don't look like finals contenders for about 5 years so I'd call it a 'start of a rebuild' (Wallace went backwards) and a 2nd round pick NOW is worth any other pick NOW.
(e.g. Nahas)

Bring in the new coach, mix with current players (old & new) and see how the future possibilities start to pan out in 3 years time.

TigerForce said:
And there's more learning to come.

In your opinion. There's no way you can be certain that what's been learnt already can't be carried on to similar effect by our other players.

TigerForce said:
We don't look like finals contenders for about 5 years so a 2nd round pick NOW is worth any other pick NOW.
(e.g. Nahas)

A 2nd round pick gives you access to a greater pool of talent than a 3rd round pick, etc. Yes good players can be found with lower picks but if you're spending money on recruiting surely you want to give your recruiters the best possible chance of identifying and securing the players they think can take us forward.

Disco08 said:
A 2nd round pick gives you access to a greater pool of talent than a 3rd round pick, etc. Yes good players can be found with lower picks but if you're spending money on recruiting surely you want to give your recruiters the best possible chance of identifying and securing the players they think can take us forward.

Sounds like you're a fan of the tank Disco...?!

I suppose I'm just a pathetic supporter who just hasn't seen in the last decade substantial improvement from the majority of our players.

Sure players improve as they gain, weight, fitness and experience but beyond a few individuals boot-strapping themselves I haven't seen anything which particularly smacks of general improvement. It actually seems as a team each year we go backwards vis-a-vis the rest of the competition and every year the first few games show us up.

For a change we've been gifted with a champion who seems to be making a small but significant difference. Cousins, to me, offers real hope that we will get more than just stats but team based improvement. Something I haven't seen for a long, long time. I don't want to give up the hope that this improvement will gain even more momentum.

Apologies Liverpool if you've said this as well. ;D

Why do we have to trade Cousins at all?

All this crap about a 2nd round pick or a 3rd round pick if we hang onto him too long... *smile* me....why don't we let him play out his days at Richmond?
Is there anything wrong with having someone actually finish their career with us and (maybe) going on to help us off-field??

Whats with the persistence in people to offload him for because he has "value" or won't be in our Premiership team, etc.

How does anyone know that?

Ask Crawford or Hawthorn fans whether they thought they would win the flag last year......you never know what a new coach and a big pre-season witht he likes of Cousins involved may do to some players who are fringe players or on people's lists to trade....and of cousre how quick the young players come on.

Heck...who would have thought St.Kilda would be in the position they are in considering they had a cra first half of last year, Milne and Dal Santo got dropped, and they had hacks like Gilbert, Jones, Blake, and Gardiner running around in the VFL half the time.

Brettstigers said:
I suppose I'm just a pathetic supporter who just hasn't seen in the last decade substantial improvement from the majority of our players.
Sure players improve as they gain, weight, fitness and experience but beyond a few individuals boot-strapping themselves I haven't seen anything which particularly smacks of general improvement. It actually seems as a team each year we go backwards vis-a-vis the rest of the competition and every year the first few games show us up.
For a change we've been gifted with a champion who seems to be making a small but significant difference. Cousins, to me, offers real hope that we will get more than just stats but team based improvement. Something I haven't seen for a long, long time. I don't want to give up the hope that this improvement will gain even more momentum.
Apologies Liverpool if you've said this as well. ;D

Apology accepted mate! ;D

I don't want to sound too negative, but where's this difference Cousins is supposedly making? Aren't we just as crap as we've ever been for the last 10 years?

Disco08 said:
In your opinion. There's no way you can be certain that what's been learnt already can't be carried on to similar effect by our other players.
That's why I'm looking forward to watch some pre-season training. This will be worth watching since Wallace started 5 years ago.

Disco08 said:
I don't want to sound too negative, but where's this difference Cousins is supposedly making? Aren't we just as crap as we've ever been for the last 10 years?
Chimp, Lids, Tambo, Titch, Jack are performing better than I ever saw so looks like Jade has increased Cuz's responsibility within the club and from what I've seen in the past few games (win or loss), we're playing more competitive football compared to Wallace's basketball game plans.

Even if Cuz's input is small after just 17 games, it'll increase further after a pre-season and into next season.

Yeah but is that Cousin's influence or is it the players in general responding to a better gameplan and a coach that's not a complete muppet? And yes the team's form has been a little better but we've only managed a draw with another cellar dweller and a narrow win over an undermanned middle of the road team. We were in much better form this time last year.

Disco08 said:

I think Cousins influence is more obvious in the last few weeks even more because he is surrounded by the younger kids.
Its a bit hard for him to have much of an impact when surrounded by Bowden, Richo, Tuck, etc who are already set in their ways.

If you take out last weeks game and the first half against the Kangaroos....the results may look similar to the last 10 years.
But the way I look at it is that we are playing the kids and Cousins has had a benefit to them, whether that be leading by example on the field or, such as his leadership and talking to the troops at the break.

We'll cop some more thrashings as the young kids grow into their bodies and gain experience....but thats why someone like Cousins is important on and off the field.
You might not see the 100% benefits this season or even next season....but there is no way you can tell me that the players won't learn and implement certain things Cousins has spoken to them about or they have witnessed from watching him at training or preparing for a game.

How do you know it is Cousins influence and not Rawlings, or Newman's or anybody elses Livers? A lot of the claims on this thread are as hypothetical as the poll itself.

rosy23 said:
How do you know it is Cousins influence and not Rawlings, or Newman's or anybody elses Livers?

Because neither Rawlings nor Newman have that 'aura" of experience at the top....a Brownlow Medallist...Premiership player....spiritual captain of that Premiership team...and you only had to see him talking to the playing group during the break against Essendon to see that he is a leader.
Players listen to him because he's been there, done that and leads by example.

Why the hell would someone like a N.Brown (for example) even listen to Newman or Rawlings?
What the hell have they done?

Liverpool said:
.Premiership player....

As were Kane Johnson and Clay Sampson. It's clutching at straws to think auras and spirits are the answer. All hypothetical and airy fairy.  People are making up claims to suit their own purpose rather than discussing facts.  A question that can probbaly be answered is are we performing better as a team this year with Ben than we were last year without him?  I'm not in either camp on this thread, and I believe the cold hard facts are every player has a price, but some of the pro-Ben claims are outlandish.

rosy23 said:
As were Kane Johnson and Clay Sampson. It's clutching at straws to think auras and spirits are the answer. All hypothetical and airy fairy. People are making up claims to suit their own purpose rather than discussing facts. A question that can probbaly be answered is are we performing better as a team this year with Ben than we were last year without him?

So it is Bens falut?

And if You answer anything but "yes it is" then why would you even ask that question?