Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Freo know that already, I reckon. They've just been posturing until now. Once we get everything else done they will say 'ok, 10 and 11', but Blair will go all Sonny Weaver Jr and tell them we live in a different world to just 30 seconds ago.
That's a loooong way from 10,11,18 for all 3 that we supposedly had to accept !

But I like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Baker is 27 next season. Not a mid, not a key position player & his form this season wasn't great. Role player albeit a talented one.
I'd think 18-21 or whatever this draft throws up would be a reasonable return tbh.

The Fremantle offer puts pressure on West Coast if nothing else to give us a better deal, if they really want him.

Let's see what happens..
As always we massively overrate our own players. Bakes is a tough little bastard with great spirit, can play anywhere, reasonable skills, can kick a goal and that is worth a lot.

He's not elite - at his peak now but will be in decline.

Reactions: 3 users
The fans are getting toey. Had a look at a couple of threads, the 'he's a star and 10 and 11 is a steal' crew are winning the day.
10 11 will most likely slide to 12 13 or even 13 14. Freo need to throw another pick on top of that

Reactions: 1 users
You have a number of list lodgements still to come. Contracts expiry Oct 31
How many draft positions do you think Brisbane have?
5 have been delisted or retired. Another 4 are out of contract and haven’t been re-signed. 2 are looking to be traded.
Contracts expire October 31. Depending on who or if they recontract any player. Or trade any out. Anywhere between 5 to 11 list vacancies.

They have plenty of options.There are 2 list lodgement periods before the National draft on November 20.PSD and rookie drafts and final List Lodgement.

There is also the DFA periods, there is also the Draft trade pick only period.
So far they have 7 picks worth any points. 5 confirmed vacancies so far. They can condense picks for a single pick, they can still delist after Oct 31, they can still trade players out.
List vacancies for draft numbers are meaningless until it gets to National Draft Day.
For example how many draft picks did we have to start Trade Week with? After trading out a heap we’ve still got 7 picks.

There’s still a fair way to go yet
Thanks, I was not sure thats why I asked the question. And this is the point I was trying to get at "List vacancies for draft numbers are meaningless until it gets to National Draft Day."

Yes. Why would Brisbane do a deal with us for points if we were going to bid and cost them more points? Can't see it.
Because the alternative was not to do a deal with us and have less points to match, and then we still bid or not bid as we see fit.
Not dealing with us because we would not guarantee not bidding would only cost the Lions points.

Because the alternative was not to do a deal with us and have less points to match, and then we still bid or not bid as we see fit.
Not dealing with us because we would not guarantee not bidding would only cost the Lions points.

Sure, but they still have to get those points from somewhere. Why not from us? And that's what they did.

If the Rioli deal is completed today/tomorrow I wonder if 6 might become part of the Baker deal? We upgrade 6>3 and get their R2 this year. Being the 3rd pick of the 2nd night we might be able to convert that into a F1 and 3 guarantees us two of Lalor, FOS & Smith/Langford. Not saying I necessarily want this, but I reckon it might be a possibility.

I know 10/11 > 3 has been mooted for Baker, but that relies on Freo cutting a deal with us with time to spare ahead of the deadline, which I’m not sure they’ll want to do if it advantages the Eagles.

Agreeing to not bid is an additional 386 points for the lions. If we agreed not to bid we effectively gave them 2090 points and received 912. Massive leg up - there must be some other agreement to come.

As always we massively overrate our own players. Bakes is a tough little bastard with great spirit, can play anywhere, reasonable skills, can kick a goal and that is worth a lot.

He's not elite - at his peak now but will be in decline.
You don't have to worry about how we rate or don't rate him. You only have to worry about what the market says.

And to that end, 14 as a precedence has been set by another club. To move back from that - particularly 4 spots - is accepting unders.

Reactions: 11 users
Agreeing to not bid is an additional 386 points for the lions. If we agreed not to bid we effectively gave them 2090 points and received 912. Massive leg up - there must be some other agreement to come.

We weren't trading for points though H. We were trading for picks. Or a pick in this case.

Points were irrelevant for us in this scenario.

• Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
You don't have to worry about how we rate or don't rate him. You only have to worry about what the market says.

And to that end, 14 as a precedence has been set by another club. To move back from that - particularly 4 spots - is accepting unders.

True, whether we overrate him or not doesnt matter to the deal done.

Pick 14 is gone now - it ain't coming back. It was traded for not Baker, and was not traded for Barass either - at one point in time it was suggested it could be a trade for Bakes. Didn't happen, so I don't get the logic that bakes is now worth pick 14, no more no less.

What am I missing here?

We weren't trading for points though H. We were trading for picks. Or a pick in this case.

Points were irrelevant for us in this scenario.
But they were relevant for Brisbane. Without going over old ground....again.... pick 32 is very valuable on it's own without the points attached. We still could have given them 1939 points (including the non bidding points value) without sacrificing pick 32. That's still a 1,000 point increase for them. Having pick 32 in our back pocket now would be quite handy for this trade period or even taking to the draft.

Reactions: 4 users
But they were relevant for Brisbane. Without going over old ground....again.... pick 32 is very valuable on it's own without the points attached. We still could have given them 1939 points (including the non bidding points value) without sacrificing pick 32. That's still a 1,000 point increase for them.

Yeah didn't love the trade either. But it's not going to make this trade/draft period a success or failure.

It will be small fry in the scheme of what we're tackling.

But they were relevant for Brisbane. Without going over old ground....again.... pick 32 is very valuable on it's own without the points attached. We still could have given them 1939 points (including the non bidding points value) without sacrificing pick 32. That's still a 1,000 point increase for them.
You haven't read any of the stack of responses to this line obviously. Did you see the premium Melb paid? Its a bit like a rubber band, the higher the high pick being traded for, the higher the points premium. Points ain't points.

Anyway I've had my say on it :))

Reactions: 5 users
True, whether we overrate him or not doesnt matter to the deal done.

Pick 14 is gone now - it ain't coming back. It was traded for not Baker, and was not traded for Barass either - at one point in time it was suggested it could be a trade for Bakes. Didn't happen, so I don't get the logic that bakes is now worth pick 14, no more no less.

What am I missing here?
Huh ? The only reason it wasn't traded to us was because Clarke stuffed Hawthorn around - obviously wanted more for Barrass - but who cares. That's otherwise got nothing to do with the separate deal for Baker ?

14 was going to be used for Baker ie the market value for Baker which, incidentally, even most Richmond haters in the media also thought was fair value.

We need WCE to find that value again or Freo to stump ump more for both B&B to match it as well.

You haven't read any of the stack of responses to this line obviously. Did you see the premium Melb paid? Its a bit like a rubber band, the higher the high pick being traded for, the higher the points premium. Points ain't points.

Anyway I've had my say on it :))
I've been reading them no worries. Melbourne didn't have the points we had, plus they didn't have the non bid at 1 option, plus they paid a premium for pick 9, not 20. There's no way they would have sold the farm for pick 20 like they did for 9.

Just hoping Blair has some other agreement with Bris in place otherwise it was too much to pay IMO.

Anyway I've had my say on it also.

Reactions: 3 users