Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

There are those who rewrite history, and then there are those who claim that the Richmond trade period was the majority of "their" idea.
Of course they do. Masterminds.
Dimma to the Gold Coast, Freo with three picks preparing for a homegrown talent to want to go home were the triggers that gave us the opportunity to capitalize. And the word filtering out now is Shai had checked out the last 6-8 weeks. He wanted out. So did Dan. So did Liam. So did Jack. And we tried to save all of them.
Apparently Blair planted the seed years ago and gave them the word it was their time to leave. It was all planned :LOL:
This wasn't a strategic mastercalss, it was getting fair value for what we had. Our draft hand was predetermined a long way out
It certainly was.
Depending on where they went. Some would pay overs. Some wouldn’t.
Now to see what we’ll do with any pick trading. Will we be prepared to get pick 2? What will be the price? Then the other picks, how many will go into 2025

Jezz Charlie Clarke that brings back a few old memories. Easiest the toughest street fighter and not professional boxer I've ever seen. Total animal with a big heart. Sadly another gone young. A total legend in certain circles especially around Western Victoria

There are those who rewrite history, and then there are those who claim that the Richmond trade period was the majority of "their" idea.

Dimma to the Gold Coast, Freo with three picks preparing for a homegrown talent to want to go home were the triggers that gave us the opportunity to capitalize. And the word filtering out now is Shai had checked out the last 6-8 weeks. He wanted out. So did Dan. So did Liam. So did Jack. And we tried to save all of them.

This wasn't a strategic mastercalss, it was getting fair value for what we had. Our draft hand was predetermined a long way out.
Baker - “I just walked into his office and Blair talked me through it.”

Players and club were both ready.

Blair was planning a haul. In his industry you can’t afford to simply wait for things to drop into your lap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
We’ve had a youth policy in the VFL for a while. Unlike other teams we haven’t bolstered our list with failed AFL retreads and big bodied journeymen just to win games.
Ollie Grant has been recruiting youngsters form Coates League, suburban and country leagues which has resulted in a number elevating to AFL lists. Players like D’Ambrosio, Soligo, Durham, and maybe Davidson this year.
I really like the philosophy of this.
with that in mind, I believe one of the 20,21,24 picks will be moved on for a 40+ pick and a future second to get Davo!

Reactions: 1 user
with that in mind, I believe one of the 20,21,24 picks will be moved on for a 40+ pick and a future second to get Davo!
Agree. Or a slider who suits our needs. There should be plenty, drafts usually end up in strange places after the first few picks. Teams outsmart themselves or jump at shadows every year.

We should be aiming to have a couple of firsts and a couple of seconds next year. At least.

Reactions: 2 users
We’ve had a youth policy in the VFL for a while. Unlike other teams we haven’t bolstered our list with failed AFL retreads and big bodied journeymen just to win games.
Ollie Grant has been recruiting youngsters form Coates League, suburban and country leagues which has resulted in a number elevating to AFL lists. Players like D’Ambrosio, Soligo, Durham, and maybe Davidson this year.
Yeah, I've had that convo with a couple of parents of players at Coburg. The juniors gravitate to Coburg, Frankston and us as we are "pathways" clubs that encourage the younger players and provide a chance to get on an AFL list.

Be interesting to see what happens with the VFL. It appears that both the SA clubs and Freo are advocating to either join the VFL or for a formal AFL reserves. West Coast apparently the only ambivalent AFL team. I was told expressly that there were a couple of big planning sessions late in the season with all clubs where this got raised and pushed by some clubs.

Plenty of examples of trades that have happened at the draft that we would be looking to emulate/

Pick 10, for Pick 11 and 31
Pick 17 for Pick 18 and a F2
Pick 35 for Pick 38 and a F3
Pick 38 for pick 40 and a F3

Pick 18 for Pick 27, a F2 and a F3

Pick 12 for Pick 14 and a F2
Pick 45 for pick 47 and a F3

Pick 25 for Pick 27 and a F3
Picks 27 and 59 for Pick 30 and a F3

Pick 22 and a F4 for pick 23 and a F2
Pick 25 and a F4 for Pick 27 and a F3
Picks 30 and 50 for Pick 35 and a F2

I won't go back further but plenty of examples there of the slide back, gaining future picks. We don't have a F3 at the moment, perhaps we could trade back 24 (which will be 28) a few times and gain 2/3 F3 picks for next year. Sure the slide back isn't worth as much with points dropping, but its possible we could do that, or maybe it could be 2nds that are thrown in instead.

I think this is something thats not said enough. Our VFL list builds are very good, all setup the way a reserves comp should be, in trying to identify players that might be able to take that jump up.

Bring in a lot of young players with upside, and support them with a handful of mature players that may change season by season due to the salary cap restrictions. I suspect those older players that we lost will be off earning more money elsewhere. Players like Garner could be paid more elsewhere but thats why he has an off field role at the club too.

Yeah, I've had that convo with a couple of parents of players at Coburg. The juniors gravitate to Coburg, Frankston and us as we are "pathways" clubs that encourage the younger players and provide a chance to get on an AFL list.

Be interesting to see what happens with the VFL. It appears that both the SA clubs and Freo are advocating to either join the VFL or for a formal AFL reserves. West Coast apparently the only ambivalent AFL team. I was told expressly that there were a couple of big planning sessions late in the season with all clubs where this got raised and pushed by some clubs.

Not quite HK.

Freo are the team that are happy with current arrangement with Peel/WAFL. The others want to join but AFL have said no.

Not quite HK.

Freo are the team that are happy with current arrangement with Peel/WAFL. The others want to join but AFL have said no.
Cool. Thanks. I knew one of the WA teams wanted in. Got it wrong way around.

So the VFL stays as is for next year ? No Adelaide or PA ?

Cool. Thanks. I knew one of the WA teams wanted in. Got it wrong way around.

So the VFL stays as is for next year ? No Adelaide or PA ?

Correct! The SANFL loosened some of the restrictions on the AFL clubs to help with the disenchantment they have.