Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Might be going over old ground, but with new information.

We are about to get a trade that provides clarity over premiums paid to get top 20 picks in this draft.

Essentially we upgraded 32 to 20 and paid a premium to do it of 792 points.

Melbourne are looking to switch their F1st into the Bombers Pick 9. If we assume the 1st rounder values largely offset, then they are paying 1787 points in value in 2024 and getting the Bonbers 3rd in 2025 back (probably valued at 100-150 points).

So we paid a premium of 792 points for Pick 20, they'll be paying a premium of around 1650 for Pick 9.

Thats the market value for trading into this years draft.

Good summation Posh

I reckon we will get pick 13 for Baker.

Hawks give GC future picks (they have theirs & the blues rounds 1& 2) for pick 13
Hawks give WC 13
We give WC Baker for 13
Hawks get Barrass

Reactions: 1 user
18 is *smile* for Baker. We already had 14 on the table with WCE before Clarke stuffed up so why on earth would we take 18 ?

18 is 21. That's terrible for Baker.

Reactions: 9 users
Because I can't imagine agreeing to do a swap that doesn't include us not bidding. 100% part of the deal. Pretty confident of that.
I doubt the deal we made included any agreement not to bid. We paid a fair price for pick 20, surely any under the table deal would have moved the pick 20 trade back into our favour more.

18 is *smile* for Baker. We already had 14 on the table with WCE before Clarke stuffed up so why on earth would we take 18 ?

i guess it depends on Bolton's value- if Freo are right and he isnt worth 10 & 11 then the 3 picks for both players is probably fair, if we are right and Bolton is worth 10 & 11 then yes the 3 picks for both isnt a great deal and we should probably get a bit more.

Reactions: 2 users
Might be going over old ground, but with new information.

We are about to get a trade that provides clarity over premiums paid to get top 20 picks in this draft.

Essentially we upgraded 32 to 20 and paid a premium to do it of 792 points.

Melbourne are looking to switch their F1st into the Bombers Pick 9. If we assume the 1st rounder values largely offset, then they are paying 1787 points in value in 2024 and getting the Bonbers 3rd in 2025 back (probably valued at 100-150 points).

So we paid a premium of 792 points for Pick 20, they'll be paying a premium of around 1650 for Pick 9.

Thats the market value for trading into this years draft.
1650/792=2.08
our shafting x 2.08 = double shafting

• Haha
So Freo are valuing Baker at pick 11 and Bolton at 10+18?

I'd be valuing Bolton at 10+11 and Baker at 18. I don't see what the sticking point is with just Bolton for 10+11?

Exactly. The combined Freo offer for Shai and Bakes has unwittingly exposed the flaw in their original offer of 10 and 18 for Shai.

Blair needs to walk away with 10 and 11 for Shai.

Reactions: 2 users
Baker is 27 next season. Not a mid, not a key position player & his form this season wasn't great. Role player albeit a talented one.
I'd think 18-21 or whatever this draft throws up would be a reasonable return tbh.

The Fremantle offer puts pressure on West Coast if nothing else to give us a better deal, if they really want him.

Let's see what happens..

Reactions: 6 users
i guess it depends on Bolton's value- if Freo are right and he isnt worth 10 & 11 then the 3 picks for both players is probably fair, if we are right and Bolton is worth 10 & 11 then yes the 3 picks for both isnt a great deal and we should probably get a bit more.
Bolton is 10 and 11. Not 10 and 18. Bolton stays on that basis.

And if Baker & Bolton are packaged up it's 10, 11 and 18 and a sweetener eg F2 or something. Maybe something going back. Joe Brierty seemed open to something else this morning. They're very keen.

Otherwise, WCE get creative eg split 3 and send us 12 for Baker and Freo are on the hook for 10 and 11 for Bolton.

Everything else is ceding ground and going backwards especially where Baker is concerned. 14 was ALREADY on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

What is good value for Baker though?
I'd have him in the 15-20 range personally.

There's an element of we can only get the picks that the other team has available - i doubt anyone would do a bunch of negotiating to move up 4-5 picks for this (or for Shai).

Reactions: 1 users
What is good value for Baker though?
I'd have him in the 15-20 range personally.
It doesn't matter what we think. 14 was already in play if you believe the copious reports.

The market has already spoken so going backwards from it is weak.

Reactions: 4 users
Well there are 2 obvious solutions to this:

1. Hold the draft before the exams start. I'm pretty sure they start in late October. I suggested the draft should be the second week of October.

2. Make the draft age 19, instead of 18.
Sure, although going through a draft when you should be studying is not great exam preparation. The other solution is leave it as it is

The problem with a draft age change is that in one transition year there would be very few players available to draft

We were getting #14 and some change from WCE for Baker. And still may get #7 for him and #20.

The Wanchors wanna lift.

Essendon set to clean up on Melbourne. lol What a weird trade season

It cannot be calculated exactly because there are future picks involved but my quick calculation is that Essendon are trading out about 1800 points and getting around 3000 back.

It is pretty much irrelevant because both clubs have got what they wanted in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
Baker is 27 next season. Not a mid, not a key position player & his form this season wasn't great. Role player albeit a talented one.
I'd think 18-21 or whatever this draft throws up would be a reasonable return tbh.

The Fremantle offer puts pressure on West Coast if nothing else to give us a better deal, if they really want him.

Let's see what happens..
I think some are becoming a little
The Polka King Money GIF by NETFLIX
baker a good ordinary player that cost us a rookie pick
We’ve upsized to a top 20 pick..but hey what would I know.

• Dislike