Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

The Free Agency and trade period should be held a week after the Grand Final. The draft 2 weeks after the Grandf Final. Then shut up shop for the summer and let the women take the limelight.

This has been the first time in a long time we – as Richmond fans – are heavily invested in the Trade Period and Draft, but honestly, right now I am over it like a smally fart.

It’s made worse by all those flogs in the media trying to undermine the value of our players that want out. The really must be frightened over the prospect of us rebuilding quickly.

The more this drags on, the more I hope Richmond hold their nerve and don’t accept the pressure pile on by the Richmond haters. 10 and 11 for Bolton. 6 and 13 for Rioli. A top 10 pick for Baker. Anything less and they stay.
I understand all that Ian but one of the reasons that has always been given for the later draft date is that these kids are almost all finishing school and have exams . The AFL has never wanted to have draft time in the middle of exams which I think is right.

Remember the majority of players nominating for the draft won’t actually get drafted and will need to have another option.

Reactions: 6 users
It's taken me 5 days to catch up to the latest page.

Things are hot in the PRE kitchen.

On the draft swap, it feels like maybe we got too many late round draft picks and as such everyone else knew they were worthless to us (if we kept them) despite having a point score until the trade period ends.

Feels like if we stuffed up, it wasn't now, it was last year - but with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe we thought there would be more demand for those picks last year.

There is probably also a time factor thing if we thought all our attention was going to be on waiting until the last minute/seconds for Bolton, Rioli, Baker deals to apply massive pressure from their player managers to the receiving clubs we didn't want to still be messing around with pick trades.

Waiting for the last seconds is going to be like watching "24" with the clock ticking down each day and everyone doing their na na here.

Wait

Wait

Wait

Wait

and

Wait some more

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hoping Blair can smash it in the next few days and make up for the poor trade with Brisbane.

Reactions: 4 users
All depends on where your thought processes lie Antsy. I can easily see 7 draft picks still needed this year even if we kept all 3 of Bakes Sausage n Shai.
We've currently got 3 good picks n a handful of rubbish to follow with. I'd have preferred 2 good picks n 4 decent ones to follow.
It's purely through losing our 3 players that we'll maybe get a good draft hand, but I think we'll still end up pulling up skinny on the number of players we'll be replacing this year.
Fair points Maso. Lets's wait and see.

Brisbane currently has 2472 points which covers a pick 1 with the 20% discount.
Then a bid for Marshall at say 20 (900 points but 20% discount) so if they trade both Robertson and Sharp they'll be fine

Sharp to Melbn for 49
Robo to WC but they only have 63. Do lions accept this or will wc get a suitable pick, maybe our 51 or saints 47?
Or will WC go cold if they get Bakes and Graham?

If the trade doesnt work the lions can take a deficit in next year and still get marshall
And we won't bid, part of the agreement and I can't see North bidding. West Coast would be earliest. 2234 minus 20%, approx 1800. They've worked it beautifully Brisbane.

Reactions: 1 user
And we won't bid, part of the agreement and I can't see North bidding. West Coast would be earliest. 2234 minus 20%, approx 1800. They've worked it beautifully Brisbane.
why won't we bid? Unless Blair has some other arrangement with Brisbane I can't understand why we have assisted them so much in getting Ashcroft and Marshall. There must be something else otherwise it makes completely no sense.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Quoted for emphasis, a few people need to read this.
So what's the emphasis? We were competing with Smelbourne? Someone was breaching the draft rules? We need pick 20 for some other trade?

• Haha
why won't we bid? Unless Blair has some other arrangement with Brisbane I can't understand why we have assisted them so much in getting Ashcroft and Marshall. There must be something else otherwise it makes completely no sense.
Nutty but maybe they demanded 32 because Blair insisted we would bid if we wanted to. Blair is a man of integrity perhaps?

Reactions: 3 users
You forgot the months of handwringing that will follow about how poorly we drafted

And the years of Zips saying we shoulda picked Billy Blogs instead of Wally Walker cause his schitt. And we shoulda make all our picks in the rookie draft, cause we're schitt at main draft picks. :))

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
And the years of Zips saying we shoulda picked Billy Blogs instead of Wally Walker cause his schitt. And we shoulda make all our picks in the rookie draft, cause we're schitt at main draft picks. :))
Wally Walker was solid for us - Zips is off the mark there.

• Haha
I am probably wrong as I am going of a distant memory, but if our latter picks got offered instead of 32 wouldn't they have been useless to Brisbane as don't you have to have the equivalent number of list spots available before you can use a pick to match a farther son or academy player, Example if you plan on using 7 junk picks to match a bid don't you need to have seven vacant spots on your list for those picks to be valid?

Was the case for a few years but the AFL flip flopped as usual and changed back to the old rules. A club can now use picks in excess of vacant list spots

Reactions: 4 users
Brisvegas barely have enough points gathered to match a bid on Ashcroft at the moment if we call him at 1. Not sure They're in any position to do a deal with pick 32 unless they'r getting around 1200 / 1300 points for it. They'd need to cover the nearly 600 they'd need to replace for Ashcroft n the other 700 for a crack at Marshall. Perhaps they'll wipe out most of next years first rounder to get Marshall, or completely forego him this year. Or perhaps they're still searching to trade a player for the extra points they still need.

Brisbane will wait for where a bid is made on Marshall. If a bid doesn't come until the second round then they use 2025 2nd round picks or later keeping their 2025 first pick.

So they have secured sufficient picks to pay for Ashcroft and will then deal to cover Marshall once the bid comes.

Maybe we have an agreement to assist once the exact details are known. Have to wait until the whole draft/trade period is over

Reactions: 1 users
Nutty but maybe they demanded 32 because Blair insisted we would bid if we wanted to. Blair is a man of integrity perhaps?
what does he do if we hold the first 2 or even 3 picks in the draft? He would have to bid on Ashcroft to avoid potential sanctions from the afl

Brisbane currently has 2472 points which covers a pick 1 with the 20% discount.
Then a bid for Marshall at say 20 (900 points but 20% discount) so if they trade both Robertson and Sharp they'll be fine

Sharp to Melbn for 49
Robo to WC but they only have 63. Do lions accept this or will wc get a suitable pick, maybe our 51 or saints 47?
Or will WC go cold if they get Bakes and Graham?

If the trade doesnt work the lions can take a deficit in next year and still get marshall
That was the whole point TM and I were making. They won’t have the points unless they go into deficit which most clubs are loath to do.

Hmmm. So saints picks 7 and 8 for WC pick 3
Then picks 7 and 8 to us?
Just a thought bubble on a Sunday.

Its a fluid environment.

I think Melbourne getting 9 the thought originally was they were going to trade up. however, I believe they wanted 9 to get Armstrong.

I also think NM will find it hard to split pick 2. If North cant offload 2 then I think they take Tauru at 2.
If NM do take Tauru @2 then with pick 1, 3 & 6 we will get 3 great mids.