Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

That's not proven, weaker draft, won't know until after the event. A year's worth of growth left in next year's crop and this year's crop yet to prove themselves in any way at all at AFL level.
There’s never a guarantee either way. Draft “experts” will say stronger or weaker drafts. High end early picks then drops off. Or even draft and deep.
Projections are always fraught with some guesswork. Players developing early, some late.
It still comes down to an eye for talent.
Some say this draft is stronger and deeper compared to next years. Hence why clubs are scrambling for picks this year. But others are happy to trade into future picks. But they’re mainly clubs with f/s or academy picks looking to spread their picks out.

There’s never an exact science or proven methodology that guarantees a particular selection. Play the odds that the higher talent is in the early stages of a draft. That’s a general rule of thumb. But there are many exceptions to that rule.

Reactions: 3 users
Nutty but maybe they demanded 32 because Blair insisted we would bid if we wanted to. Blair is a man of integrity perhaps?
It's all about making a deal that works for both parties right?
why won't we bid? Unless Blair has some other arrangement with Brisbane I can't understand why we have assisted them so much in getting Ashcroft and Marshall. There must be something else otherwise it makes completely no sense.

Except we got pick 20 for pick 32 using late picks we won't use.

Does that make sense?

What we do with pick 20 remains to be seen of course.

Reactions: 2 users
Can we invite Tauru to visit Punt Road and make sure the press are there to get pics?
We need NM to think we are into Tauru @ 1

Reactions: 1 user
I understand all that Ian but one of the reasons that has always been given for the later draft date is that these kids are almost all finishing school and have exams . The AFL has never wanted to have draft time in the middle of exams which I think is right.

Remember the majority of players nominating for the draft won’t actually get drafted and will need to have another option.

Well there are 2 obvious solutions to this:

1. Hold the draft before the exams start. I'm pretty sure they start in late October. I suggested the draft should be the second week of October.

2. Make the draft age 19, instead of 18.

It's all about making a deal that works for both parties right?

Except wr got pick 20 for pick 32 using late picks we won't use.

Does that make sense?
One thing is for certain - pick 32 better be a Dud :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
what does he do if we hold the first 2 or even 3 picks in the draft? He would have to bid on Ashcroft to avoid potential sanctions from the afl
Why would they sanction him? If he says in his judgement there are three players better. Who would be the judge? Laura Kane?
It’s a personal opinion and judgement. No one goes to the afl to ask their opinion on who to pick.

If ever they tried to apply a sanction to what is a personal judgement! They should be taken to court. They afl could be accused of draft tampering. They can’t dictate who a club has to select.

Reactions: 2 users
There’s never a guarantee either way. Draft “experts” will say stronger or weaker drafts. High end early picks then drops off. Or even draft and deep.
Projections are always fraught with some guesswork. Players developing early, some late.
It still comes down to an eye for talent.
Some say this draft is stronger and deeper compared to next years. Hence why clubs are scrambling for picks this year. But others are happy to trade into future picks. But they’re mainly clubs with f/s or academy picks looking to spread their picks out.

There’s never an exact science or proven methodology that guarantees a particular selection. Play the odds that the higher talent is in the early stages of a draft. That’s a general rule of thumb. But there are many exceptions to that rule.

Exactly
Why would they sanction him? If he says in his judgement there are three players better. Who would be the judge? Laura Kane?
It’s a personal opinion and judgement. No one goes to the afl to ask their opinion on who to pick.

If ever they tried to apply a sanction to what is a personal judgement! They should be taken to court. They afl could be accused of draft tampering. They can’t dictate who a club has to select.

Yeah, I don't think not bidding is a problem.

Because it's Richmond. Ashcroft is highly rated and it would be amiss if he were to drop to #4, especially given we traded picks with Brisbn.

I believe the act of bidding is an optional rather than a mandatory process, even taking into account the Richmond tax.

Can't see it happening Gums.

Freo boss saying they are definitely after Baker.
Offer for Shai is 10 & 18 discussions with Blair ongoing.

• Dislike
I believe the act of bidding is an optional rather than a mandatory process, even taking into account the Richmond tax.

Can't see it happening Gums.
You think the afl would be OK if we held the first 3 picks in the draft and overlooked Ashcroft completely after having traded picks with them prior? I think they would question it as a minimum personally.

why won't we bid? Unless Blair has some other arrangement with Brisbane I can't understand why we have assisted them so much in getting Ashcroft and Marshall. There must be something else otherwise it makes completely no sense.
Because I can't imagine agreeing to do a swap that doesn't include us not bidding. 100% part of the deal. Pretty confident of that.

Freo boss saying they are definitely after Baker.
Offer for Shai is 10 & 18 discussions with Blair ongoing.
Competition is good. Hopefully WC make a good offer for both. I've been surprised they aren't chasing Shai, they have Ryan and Champion coming but still.

Baker wants WC - the team he barracked for, coached by Mini and with his mate Graham.

Freo needs to cough up 10 and 11 for Bolton

Might be going over old ground, but with new information.

We are about to get a trade that provides clarity over premiums paid to get top 20 picks in this draft.

Essentially we upgraded 32 to 20 and paid a premium to do it of 792 points.

Melbourne are looking to switch their F1st into the Bombers Pick 9. If we assume the 1st rounder values largely offset, then they are paying 1787 points in value in 2024 and getting the Bonbers 3rd in 2025 back (probably valued at 100-150 points).

So we paid a premium of 792 points for Pick 20, they'll be paying a premium of around 1650 for Pick 9.

Thats the market value for trading into this years draft.

Reactions: 8 users
You think the afl would be OK if we held the first 3 picks in the draft and overlooked Ashcroft completely after having traded picks with them prior? I think they would question it as a minimum personally.

I can't see why they would Tooth .. in fact trading picks/points away makes more sense if we weren't ever interested in bidding for Ashcroft. I don't think you can tie early picks to either bidding or not bidding actions.

Mind you it is the AFL we are talking about here so who knows.