Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Rioli has two traits Shai doesn't have; consistency and grunt.
a lot of people downplay the importance of winning a B&F in a spoon year, they say 'the best of a bad lot, no big deal.' but it's quite the contrary...

Rioli performed at maximum capacity throughout the whole season despite there being very little external motivation to do so.

and Shai? well, he capitulated.
what makes you think he won't do exactly the same thing again next year?
he's got the fat contract, now he want's the easy ride. simple as that.

that's the difference between a leader and a follower,
give me the guy that never quits giving his all every day of the week...
not the guy who's gonna passively protest via poor performances next season if he doesn't get his trade.
Nonsense.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I am probably wrong as I am going of a distant memory, but if our latter picks got offered instead of 32 wouldn't they have been useless to Brisbane as don't you have to have the equivalent number of list spots available before you can use a pick to match a farther son or academy player, Example if you plan on using 7 junk picks to match a bid don't you need to have seven vacant spots on your list for those picks to be valid?

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
While I was critical of Blair giving up pick 32 as part of the Brisbane deal, we were competing with Melbourne for that pick 20.

Our deal gave them over 100 points extra but would only work with pick 32 involved as using out 2 later picks would have breached the AFL rules regarding draft picks

and available list spaces. I now understand he had no choice if we were to gain that pick 20 which I believe may be part of trade to gain another high 1st round pick.

You may not win all the battles but if you win the war that is the most important result.

Keep fighting on Blair.

Reactions: 13 users
Loved winning flags and not really being to invested in the trade / draft period.
Just hope we nail this.
Should set us up again for another tilt.

Reactions: 4 users
While I was critical of Blair giving up pick 32 as part of the Brisbane deal, we were competing with Melbourne for that pick 20.

Our deal gave them over 100 points extra but would only work with pick 32 involved as using out 2 later picks would have breached the AFL rules regarding draft picks

and available list spaces. I now understand he had no choice if we were to gain that pick 20 which I believe may be part of trade to gain another high 1st round pick.

You may not win all the battles but if you win the war that is the most important result.

Keep fighting on Blair.
So he’s not an incompetent pushover that couldn’t grasp how to make best use of all of our pics that was caught asleep at the wheel with his pants around his ankles?

(Not saying this was your take)*

FFS I can’t keep up.

Reactions: 3 users
I am probably wrong as I am going of a distant memory, but if our latter picks got offered instead of 32 wouldn't they have been useless to Brisbane as don't you have to have the equivalent number of list spots available before you can use a pick to match a farther son or academy player, Example if you plan on using 7 junk picks to match a bid don't you need to have seven vacant spots on your list for those picks to be valid?

Great point, I’d forgotten about that. You can’t enter the draft with more picks than available list spots.

(Although I’m pretty sure that no longer applies once the draft has started).

No doubt this would have had an impact on negotiations. The deal for 20 looks even more like good trading.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Great point, I’d forgotten about that. You can’t enter the draft with more picks than available list spots.

No doubt this would have had an impact on negotiations. The deal for 20 looks even more like good trading.
No we didn't have to give 32 and instead we should've given them a pick of 51 or above. It 's still four picks to them we would've given and we would've had 20 and 32 still in our hands. This would’ve left us with the 32 to use in other trades or to keep in a strong draft and Brisbane would’ve still been able to use their late pick in their point grabbing venture as it’s still four picks they received from us. They still would’ve been slightly ahead on the deal. I still maintain it was a terrible trade and no matter how people try and sugar coat it we were reamed or very generous in helping the reigning premiers on their way to two First rounders. I've said my bit on it and my stance remains on this. It would've been a good trade had we kept 32.

Last edited:

I'm sure willo, Maso, tiger-urine and the rest will be in here any time now to apologise to Blair and everyone else they disparaged over this deal.

No we didn't have to give 32 and instead we should've given them a pick of 51 or above. It 's still four picks to them we would've given and we would've had 20 and 32 still in our hands. This would’ve left us with the 32 to use in other trades or to keep in a strong draft and Brisbane would’ve still been able to use their late pick in their point grabbing venture as it’s still four picks they received from us. They still would’ve been slightly ahead on the deal. I still maintain it was a terrible trade and no matter how people try and sugar coat it we were reamed or very generous in helping the reigning premiers on their way to two First rounders. I've said my bit on it and my stance remains on this. It would've been a good trade had we kept 32.

"Im not interested in facts or trade rules, I'm going to stick to my original bad take regardless"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
You beauty the 3 day trade period starts today .

But wait there’s more , then we have 6 weeks of “ who we drafting “

Good times 😁

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I'm sure willo, Maso, tiger-urine and the rest will be in here any time now to apologise to Blair and everyone else they disparaged over this deal.
So Brisvegas all of a sudden have 9, count em nine vacancies in their premiership list to enable them to use all 9 of their collected up draft picks to get Ashcroft????? Nah nah nah nanana NAH, hey f---.

• Love
Yes, hanging onto pick 32 and and not doing that terrible deal with Brisbane would have made all the difference Maso.

Oh but then we wouldn't even have pick 20 either.
All depends on where your thought processes lie Antsy. I can easily see 7 draft picks still needed this year even if we kept all 3 of Bakes Sausage n Shai.
We've currently got 3 good picks n a handful of rubbish to follow with. I'd have preferred 2 good picks n 4 decent ones to follow.
It's purely through losing our 3 players that we'll maybe get a good draft hand, but I think we'll still end up pulling up skinny on the number of players we'll be replacing this year.

What a time to be alive .
Raining Gene Kelly GIF by Turner Classic Movies

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Melbourne would have more points in that deal and would have ended up with pick 20

Reactions: 1 users
Melbourne would have more points in that deal and would have ended up with pick 20
Possibly, but we will never know what their intentions in helping Brisbane out were and if they wanted something better than 20. It’s all hindsight stuff. You're assuming Melbourne were going to surrender 28 and i highly doubt it as it would've been a shocking trade as well. Our next four picks after 32 were way better than theirs after 28. I have my doubts they would've entertained dealing with Brisbane. I was more answering to how there was going to be an excessive amount of picks leftover, but the reality it was the same number. Wi think Melbourne are holding picks to see if they need them as they are hoping to offload Oliver and may need them as sweeteners.

Melbourne https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#40,49,54,65,|20,

Us https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#42,43,45,51,|20,

Last edited:

Keep fighting on Blair.

Quoted for emphasis, a few people need to read this.

Reactions: 3 users
You beauty the 3 day trade period starts today .

But wait there’s more , then we have 6 weeks of “ who we drafting “

Good times 😁

The Free Agency and trade period should be held a week after the Grand Final. The draft 2 weeks after the Grandf Final. Then shut up shop for the summer and let the women take the limelight.

This has been the first time in a long time we – as Richmond fans – are heavily invested in the Trade Period and Draft, but honestly, right now I am over it like a smally fart.

It’s made worse by all those flogs in the media trying to undermine the value of our players that want out. The really must be frightened over the prospect of us rebuilding quickly.

The more this drags on, the more I hope Richmond hold their nerve and don’t accept the pressure pile on by the Richmond haters. 10 and 11 for Bolton. 6 and 13 for Rioli. A top 10 pick for Baker. Anything less and they stay.

Reactions: 7 users