Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Once again incorrect eventually the more desperate party will open negotiations to get a deal. Read a few books on negotiation strategies they all say the same.
Yeah I think try negotiating a lot rather than reading books about it. Being black and white about saying there’s only one way to do nearly anything is not a great approach in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It looks seems some posters aren’t aware of the value that can be had from them. Then argue the value of them with others. 😊

Only useless if you don’t know how to use them to upgrade picks.
That was the whole point in us accumulating them.
Yes in theory.

But you can’t force someone to take the pics you are offering based on their cumulative points value alone.

The other party may have their own agenda and you then decide whether what you are after is worth the price they are asking you to pay based on a variety of factors including the draft in question, what you want to do with the pic you’re receiving and what you know or think other clubs are scheming on doing.

It feels like you’re insinuating that the only possible reason that the Tiges gave up pic 32 in their upgrade to pic 20 is because they ‘didn’t know how to make best us of all If their their pics’ or ‘were too weak in their trading’.

When you don’t have the data to make that call.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You’re missing the whole point.
Whether that’s deliberate or just being obtuse, not I’m not sure.
But it wasn’t the swap, it was the picks it was done with as we’ve been through several times.
The end result would have us getting pick 20 but keeping pick 32, by using the latter picks for the points Brisbane wanted.

By now posters know the reason for the critique in that deal. If they don’t, I suggest to those that are fairly dense to read the reaso givenagain. And take time to comprehend.
The only plausible reason why this was done is that we believe we will get the two first rounders we are asking for both Shai and Dan, one of which will be used with Baker to buy pick 3, and are planning then to delist 12 players,- and then to draft 10 players, with TWO taken at or near the end of the draft.🌝

Reactions: 1 user
That may be true in a singular market, ie. 1 buyer and 1 seller, but what if there are more than 1 buyer for the same trade. How would the seller know the buyer was interested, unless they engaged. Otherwise Buyer 1 may hold off engaging, and the seller sells to buyer 2 if they put forward an acceptable trade offer.

You make it sound very simple when there are multiple cogs at play in any trade whether that is worldwide trade or AFL trade period.

Facts are Brisbane had multiple buyers to sell their asset to, had we not engaged, how would they have known we were interested?
Firstly it’s not clear Brisbane had multiple buyers. Yes they had multiple potential buyers but without knowing the strategy of each of those clubs (which we don’t). We don’t know if it’s a “fact”. Secondly as the club with the most late order picks it was clear we were a potential buyer, blind Freddy could see that let alone a professional list manager so there was no way known Brisbane would not have known we were potentially interested.

Once again incorrect eventually the more desperate party will open negotiations to get a deal. Read a few books on negotiation strategies they all say the same.

Sorry, that's just rubbish. Anyone can open a negotiation. The true skill is to find a win/win bearing in mind that you dealt with these same guys last year and will next. This isn't an open negotiation. Its a closed shop - between player managers, list managers and the players themselves. A bit of integrity and trust works wonders whatever books (written by people like Trump) might say. And outcomes aren't just measured in terms of this player for that pick. It's a whole lot bigger than that and I for one trust that Blair knows what he is doing

Reactions: 5 users
Which has been my argument from the start as it's just discussion. It's sad people get personal though . Posters were even accused of calling Blair a moron which nobody has. This is how sad it gets.
One point is, that some posters suggested other clubs were after that pick 20.
Which other clubs had the picks necessary to amalgamate 1700 points Brisbane needed for this year? So it’s a moot point saying other clubs were after it. They didn’t have the currency required.
I don’t believe there were any without using 1st or 2nd round picks. Or next years picks. Which doesn’t make any sense.
1728803210401.png
Anyway it’s done now. Let’s wait until draft night. Maybe Blair can sprinkle some magic dust on our latter picks and flog them off for something decent.
So let’s not get personal. Otherwise those looking for morons can head over to the Ryan thread or List Management threads and no doubt you’ll find plenty of morons Blair critics there to pot. 😁

Nobody called him a moron it’s just the strawman mentality that goes on when someone makes a constructive criticism of a Richmond FD member or player. Blair has actually been a fail in my opinion as he never won a final before Balme arrived and hasn’t won one since he left his major role . His record of big trades before and after Balme have been diabolical and as some posters have said he’s way overrated and why we’ve stagnated to where we are . Clarke was also trash as his picks have mainly been busts . There’s no argument against this as the results say it all.
You take out the Lids trade , Vickery trade, Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy , Lynch and getting Bolton for Vickery we simply don’t win any premierships. Blair Hartley could never entice any guns to come to us as we weren’t a destination club , yet Balme walked into the place even after finishing poorly, players came to us bc of his expertise and honourable reputation with experience in the industry.
The Blair Hartley myth of him being some great in the industry needs to stop as he was lucky our jets came in before he arrived at the club and that Balme made the right trades when we needed them. Had Balme not arrived in 16 ends we would've plateaued to nothing under Blair and Clarke as they wouldn’t have been able to get those trades done. He’s been found out with his last three major trades where he’s paid overs in all three. He also made a big mess for Balme with the Yarran trade.
As a result, Dan Richardson will now become General Manager – Football Talent, working more closely with the head of list management and recruiting, Blair Hartley, on the Club’s list management strategy. The role will oversee all player contracting, management of the Club’s TPP program, player welfare, list management and recruiting, and the development of the Club’s Next Generation Academy.
“Dan will report into Neil, but both will be a part of the Club’s executive team, giving football a more prominent voice in the day-to-day running of the business.”

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that because of Balme we landed Prestia etc.All within 2 weeks.What an incredible man.What were we employing Blair for? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Yes in theory.
No it’s fact. There’s a value index to Get the value of each pick. A bid has a value. To outbid you need a higher value pick/s
So it’s not theory.
But you can’t force someone to take the pics you are offering based on their cumulative points value alone.
No you can’t. But when you have a plethora of them and another needs them desperately, I’ll have a good guess what happens.
The other party may have their own agenda and you then decide whether what you are after is worth the price they are asking you to pay
based on a variety of factors including the draft in question, what you want to do with the pic you’re receiving and what you know or think other clubs are scheming on doing.
That’s obvious. But as I said when you have the largest amount of points that you are prepared to trade and another club is desperate for a large number of extra picks they NEED. Guess who the seller and the buyer are going to be.
It’s not like there are countless points/picks to choose from. They are finite. And I one club has them, others don’t.
It feels like you’re insinuating that the only possible reason that the Tiges gave up pic 32 in their upgrade to pic 20 is because they ‘didn’t know how to make best us of all If their their pics’ or ‘were too week in their trading’.
I never said or insinuated that at all. I’ve been over this a dozen times already and given my reasons for critiquing the pick/points used for an alternative. Maybe it’s gone over your head or you want a personal explanation
When you don’t have the data to make that call.
We all have the data. Maybe you don’t have an understanding of it.
It’s there. The points value, the picks used, the points accumulation. The latter draft picks/points we still have left.

I reserve my right to have an opinion. You don’t. Or you agree with the deal made. Fine.
Now if anyone wants to air their grievances why I have my opinion on this. Read back over the thread or I’ll just post the thread numbers in reply.

So FFS move on.

Last edited:
Looks like the shemans are going to swipe lalor out from under us if we take fos pick 1 they will trade into pick 2. I think fos and lalor would set us up we need to somehow get both

One point is, that some posters suggested other clubs were after that pick 20.
Which other clubs had the picks necessary to amalgamate 1700 points Brisbane needed for this year? So it’s a moot point saying other clubs were after it. They didn’t have the currency required.
I don’t believe there were any without using 1st or 2nd round picks. Or next years picks. Which doesn’t make any sense.
View attachment 24616
Anyway it’s done now. Let’s wait until draft night. Maybe Blair can sprinkle some magic dust on our latter picks and flog them off for something decent.
So let’s not get personal. Otherwise those looking for morons can head over to the Ryan thread or List Management threads and no doubt you’ll find plenty of morons Blair critics there to pot. 😁
We had total control of this trade period was my point before we entered the draft. It’s crazy how people just make stuff up. Brisbane needed us to trade with badly and Blair bent over. 😂