Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Which would have saved them a minimum of 500 points.
Our latter picks (instead of our pick 32) would have been approx 700 points surplus to getting pick 20 in the swap. Which would have meant Brisbane were 1200 points in front. Instead of 1300 points using our pick 32.
Blair told me he went to Brisbane, to get in front of… well nobody at the time. But still wanted to show some integrity by being able to bid on Ashcroft if he wanted to. And to get rid of some picks for points as he didn’t want to be left with them in his hand. ;)

Posters are allowed to critique a decision in isolation when it is obvious there were other alternatives available for the same result. Or better, keeping a higher pick and getting rid of more of the dross at the arse end of our picks.

But as usual when people can’t offer a solid reason they go all over the place, back in time, deflect and all the other nonsense without debating the actual point. As well as suggesting anyone who has the temerity to critique Blair is actually calling him a moron.
Funnily enough, the only people referring to Blair being called a moron are those defending this swap with Brisbane.

Then they come up with all their convoluted trade pick swaps for players they nothing about. Only going on what has been posted on here by others 😁

Probably the same people criticising him extending Samson Ryan’s contract for another 3 years. I might go back and have a read who the morons critics were then. ;)
Brisbane had pick #20 on the table and ours was the best offer, Willo. Of that we can be certain.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yes I know, and ours was the best offer by far. It even beat the next best offer, which was still ours.
Guess which offer they took 😊

How do you know it was the best offer by far? Do you have their phones bugged?

Reactions: 1 users
You’re missing the whole point.
Whether that’s deliberate or just being obtuse, not I’m not sure.
But it wasn’t the swap, it was the picks it was done with as we’ve been through several times.
The end result would have us getting pick 20 but keeping pick 32, by using the latter picks for the points Brisbane wanted.

By now posters know the reason for the critique in that deal. If they don’t, I suggest to those that are fairly dense to read the reaso givenagain. And take time to comprehend.

We aren't missing it. We get the point, but we are allowing the rest of the trade period to play out and see what the big picture was. The trade period isn't about 1 trade but the accumulation.

I get why people are asking why we didn't give up 51 and 61 instead of 32, but maybe there was a reason or 2.

As I've noted on here a few times, those 2 picks 51 and 61 coupled together with GC's picks after 30, is pretty much enough to match at Pick 9 for Lombard.

I get the next question, well give 51 and 61 to Brisbane and 32 to GC later if that occurs. Again there are most likely reasons for this, perhaps Brisbane wanted a pick they could further trade down, whereas GC weren't too concerned as they would already have the picks they needed?

I get the critique, but you can't fully critique why things have occurred until after allowing everything to play out. Those jumping the gun may well be the same people that jumped the gun and started slagging Dusty off when the media trotted out that he'd approached GC again about going there.

Reactions: 6 users
I rate Shai greater than Rioli based on age and match winning ability. Rioli to me is a loose checking HBF and can do damage, but so can his opponent. Keep Shai for me and offload Dimmas love child.
Rioli has two traits Shai doesn't have; consistency and grunt.
a lot of people downplay the importance of winning a B&F in a spoon year, they say 'the best of a bad lot, no big deal.' but it's quite the contrary...

Rioli performed at maximum capacity throughout the whole season despite there being very little external motivation to do so.

and Shai? well, he capitulated.
what makes you think he won't do exactly the same thing again next year?
he's got the fat contract, now he want's the easy ride. simple as that.

that's the difference between a leader and a follower,
give me the guy that never quits giving his all every day of the week...
not the guy who's gonna passively protest via poor performances next season if he doesn't get his trade.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Do you ever read or comprehend anything you're opinionating on??????

In your case Maso I've usually seen it all before so often skip to the end.

But if I got it wrong, glad you agree that it's better to get a deal done early before the rug gets pulled out from under you.

Look at West Coast - they waited, lost pick 14 from the Dawks, can't trade Barrass (for now) and now that makes it harder for us to get a good deal for Bakes from them.

But all good, lets just wait and hope we can get some awesome deals done on the last day.

Reactions: 1 user
True but in the art of negotiation the party that raises the issue first is generally at a disadvantage

Too simplistic. If they were going to be "disadvantaged" they wouldnt ask first. Any deal can be good for both parties because they each want different things.

Also, this is trade period, an artificial construct. Everyone is there to trade picks and players. It's not the same as me seeing a rare exotic car on your driveway and knocking on your door.

An ask in trade period might be "hey Richmond, you have spare picks and points we need, let us help you to upgrade those points you don't really need to a nice pick 20." "Sure, let's talk about that".

Who asked first becomes irrelevant once negotiations are in earnest. Do a deal or walk away, the logic remains.

Last edited:
It looks seems some posters aren’t aware of the value that can be had from them. Then argue the value of them with others. 😊

Only useless if you don’t know how to use them to upgrade picks.
That was the whole point in us accumulating them.

And we upgraded them to get pick 20.

Oh, it seems we understand this concept a whole lot better than you do.

I also feel Blair is overrated, if he is so brilliant at his job, why is our list in such terrible shape. And to give him all the credit for building the list that got us 3 flags is factually incorrect. This trade period will test him, and if he isn’t as good as everyone around here thinks he is, we’ll be totally screwed for the next decade.

And If Carlton end up getting pick 3 off west coast, I’ll *smile* spew up, when we actually have trade capital that want to go back to WA.

Pick 3 should already be ours ffs
Currently what do we have to offer for pick 3?
Oh yeah pick 1.
Great deal.

Reactions: 2 users
And we upgraded them to get pick 20.

Oh, it seems we understand this concept a whole lot better than you do.

It seems strange to those that are bashing the pick that we had to pay a premium for it.

Carlton also traded for a pick in this years first round and paid a 2nd rounder to essentially pay the premium to get that pick. We also paid a 2nd rounder to get that pick. There seems to be a general consensus that there is a premium to be paid for getting Pick 20, Carlton set the same market as what we paid.

Lets see if any others are traded and what the premium paid was to obtain those picks.

FWIW this years draft is probably a bit different. Usually the highest premium is paid for top 5 picks, this year I'm not sure that will be the case, sure a premium will be paid, but its likely if someone is trading down this year its not due to the value of the offer, but more that there are mutual interests.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It seems strange to those that are bashing the pick that we had to pay a premium for it.

Carlton also traded for a pick in this years first round and paid a 2nd rounder to essentially pay the premium to get that pick. We also paid a 2nd rounder to get that pick. There seems to be a general consensus that there is a premium to be paid for getting Pick 20, Carlton set the same market as what we paid.

Lets see if any others are traded and what the premium paid was to obtain those picks.

FWIW this years draft is probably a bit different. Usually the highest premium is paid for top 5 picks, this year I'm not sure that will be the case, sure a premium will be paid, but its likely if someone is trading down this year its not due to the value of the offer, but more that there are mutual interests.

Observable market behaviour is a good indicator of what is going on behind the scenes, particularly in a totally closed system like Trade Week(s).