Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

and if someone else was offering much better than what you think we should have traded, what then? Thats then the market rate, do we scoff at it and hope that we can on trade those later picks to someone else? Thats a risky game in itself. We could have been left with some picks at the back end of the draft that become worthless.

Maybe instead of thinking that someone called Tiger urinate is the greatest of all time, maybe believe that Blair isn't as bad as you seem to think he is, because if thats the case and we all thought that Gale, Peggy and Balmy have been great, but if what you say is true, then we have been misled, as these 3 geniuses couldn't see what a did we had as list manager as they have just let him play list manager for over 10 years, and gone in and bailed him out when he inevitably messed up going by what you have suggested in this threa.

Geez those guys must be duds too to allow that to happen on their watch.

The narrative appears to be we should have waited for a better deal, but West Coast were asleep cos they waited for a better deal.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
read carefully and i'm not being sensitve as the blokes being childish and TROLLING the thread. Let's stick to the trade debate and not get side tracked bc people have different opinions.

Trolling the thread? Wow from what I'd say is the King Troll.

You have bashed Blair in here repeatedly, not only for this trade with Brisbane, but for others, even claiming that we only got the trades done in 2016 because of Balme, its plainly disrespectful of you to say some of the things that you have of Blair. You may call it trolling, but if Blair is as bad as you said, then that means that Peggy, Gale, Balme and Livingstone are all complicit because they have allowed Blair to continue in the role for a significant period of time.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR maybe what you say isn't truth and is a poor opinion of what is going on.

Reactions: 5 users
The narrative appears to be we should have waited for a better deal, but West Coast were asleep cos they waited for a better deal.

Thats the narrative but its also being sold as a no risk narrative which isn't true. Other teams could have come in with deals, I've already shown melbourne could have matched our deal with their later picks, if they also plan on bringing picks from next year into this one, then they may not have list spots and again could trade away their later picks before there isn't anyone to trade them to.

Saints also in a similar boat, GWS the same and have been shown to be aggressive at the trade table.

Waiting was an option, but may have left us with a bunch of later picks that we couldn't do anything with and just "lost" them to the draft as we wouldn't have the list spots. Pi55 is going on and on without knowing what the market is paying for picks. We've already seen the premium paid for pick 14 based on the quality of this draft (that was a 2nd rounder), funnily enough, we paid a 2nd rounder in points to buy Pick 20. Maybe thats the going mark to get up the board.

Reactions: 1 user
Trolling the thread? Wow from what I'd say is the King Troll.

You have bashed Blair in here repeatedly, not only for this trade with Brisbane, but for others, even claiming that we only got the trades done in 2016 because of Balme, its plainly disrespectful of you to say some of the things that you have of Blair. You may call it trolling, but if Blair is as bad as you said, then that means that Peggy, Gale, Balme and Livingstone are all complicit because they have allowed Blair to continue in the role for a significant period of time.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR maybe what you say isn't truth and is a poor opinion of what is going on.
Blair's record with big trades before and after Balme is the proof in the pudding and that's not hard to observe if you are prepared to do a bit of research. Again you are trolling bc you're being lazy and sloppy to do a bit of basic research.

Actually we don't even know if we approached them or if they approached us, but the latter most likely. Just guessing as they were desperate for points.

Cmon wee had the points so they come to us as we controlled the trade. If they waited then they would've missed out. We spooked too early and should've let Brisbane crawl to us.

You are 100% correct, or at least you would be if no other club in the league wanted pick 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Actually we don't even know if we approached them or if they approached us, but the latter most likely. Just guessing as they were desperate for points.
Irrelevant who approaches who once negotiations start. Either party can then bargain or walk away.

As posh says other clubs had the points and late picks. None of you blokes want to acknowledge that though eh?

Imagine the absolute melts from you lot about Blair if we'd been stuck with junk late picks after the end of trade period and nothing to show for them.

Reactions: 6 users
Just listening to the media. Usually they do this to lay the groundwork for an actual deal.

We want 10 and 11. They want 10 and 18. It'll be somewhere in between, hence the 10, 11 and 30 for Shai and 20. I'd much prefer the 7 pick upgrade in the teens and take the 10 pick downgrade in the 20's.
You are assuming the media have independently scrutinised the two positions and come up with a fair and independent appraisal of the true value of Shai, to both the buyer and the seller.

I understand that u and I come from markedly different positions as to his value and whether in fact he should be traded.

Putting our differences to one side, I don't believe we should take any notice of media opinion because it isn't independent with the media with one or two exceptions, having uniformly put down Shai's performance this year, and had absolutely no regard to the impact he is likely to have at Fremantle.

Believe he will go for 10 and 11 (or possibly with Baker for 10, 11 and 18), or failing those two possibilities, he will be back at Punt rd next year.

Irrelevant who approaches who once negotiations start. Either party can then bargain or walk away.

As posh says other clubs had the points and late picks. None of you blokes want to acknowledge that though eh?

Imagine the absolute melts from you lot about Blair if we'd been stuck with junk late picks after the end of trade period and nothing to show for them.
So we are back to start and i say Blair got bent over. His big trades were with getting Bolton , Rioli and Baker done and my argument or disappointment is that we didn't need to do *smile* with Brisbane as our late picks couyld've been used in those deals. Again i keep reading the IF word which means everything is speculative.

As mentioned who approaches who is largely irrelevant once negotiations start.

It's not a hard concept.
no that's too simple as you can say wait please as we have other business to look at first. Negotiation only starts if you allow it. lol

This is one of those times where it is definitely the destination and not the journey to get there that is more important.

Ultimately, it is the talent we bring in this coming draft that matters and is really the only thing that matters. Everything else is just noise.

Reactions: 2 users
This is one of those times where it is definitely the destination and not the journey to get there that is more important.

Ultimately, it is the talent we bring in this coming draft that matters and is really the only thing that matters. Everything else is just noise.
Ultimately what matters is whether there is a better than 50% probability that the player you are selling will result in the drafting of a player or players likely to make the same or a greater contribution to the winning of your next flag, (than the departing player).
Assuming we get what we are asking for the trade of Daniel for 6 and 13, looks entirely justified,- the trade of Shai is not so clear.

Blair's record with big trades before and after Balme is the proof in the pudding and that's not hard to observe if you are prepared to do a bit of research. Again you are trolling bc you're being lazy and sloppy to do a bit of basic research.

So you are saying they kept Blair around despite doing a poor job and need his manager to come in and help him with the bare core of his job?

• Haha
no that's too simple as you can say wait please as we have other business to look at first. Negotiation only starts if you allow it. lol

Tell that to West Coast. How did waiting work out for them with pick 14 and Barrass?

FMD some people are dumb as rocks on here.

You are assuming the media have independently scrutinised the two positions and come up with a fair and independent appraisal of the true value of Shai, to both the buyer and the seller.

I understand that u and I come from markedly different positions as to his value and whether in fact he should be traded.

Putting our differences to one side, I don't believe we should take any notice of media opinion because it isn't independent with the media with one or two exceptions, having uniformly put down Shai's performance this year, and had absolutely no regard to the impact he is likely to have at Fremantle.

Believe he will go for 10 and 11 (or possibly with Baker for 10, 11 and 18), or failing those two possibilities, he will be back at Punt rd next year.

We don't come from alternative positions on Shai. Personally I hate the idea of trading him, but he wants to leave, so we need to assess whats best for the club. Shai isn't Rioli, IMO Rioli if the trade was refused, would 100% buckle down and put in 100%. I think Shai would be close to that, but does have the risk attached, that he might not. I don't believe that risk is there with Rioli.

So it comes down to value. IMO no-one in the industry values Shai as highly as Tiger supporters do and thats because we watch him every week, which means we are unlikely to get what we think is fair value. Personally I think 10 and 11 are probably unders, but I don't think thats what we'll get, and in 12 months time FReo supporters will be talking about how they fleeced us.

Just trying to be realistic with possible trades.

So we are back to start and i say Blair got bent over. His big trades were with getting Bolton , Rioli and Baker done and my argument or disappointment is that we didn't need to do *smile* with Brisbane as our late picks couyld've been used in those deals. Again i keep reading the IF word which means everything is speculative.

and if Blair had already asked those clubs and they said they weren't interested in those picks?

You have no idea what discussions have gone on and neither do I, but it seems like you are the only one claiming to know better than our list manager who would have had all those discussions.

Bear in mind this is a full time job for Blair, I'd better any scenario we think of on here, has already been thought of and discussed with clubs.

Reactions: 4 users