Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Not sure what the pile on, on Carter is all about ?
No pile on. Just his statement that Blair planned this draft years out.
Considering players themselves didn’t know whether they were going, the draft return we got back was always going to be speculative
Shai has asked many times to leave, and Blair convinced him to stay, this time he didn't.
Already contracted long term. Why? If he was always heading back to WA
Rioli asked to leave, he would have been kept, if the deal was not overs, and it was, so he was shown the door.
Graham has been looking around for years, and Baker has been on short term contracts and had telegraphed his intentions of going home

The opportunity arose to move players with currency, not all of our own planning, but we capitalised on it as best as we could .
And that statement is one we all agree on. As Scoop stated, Blair played with the cards he was dealt. Carter laughed at that..reckoned Blair had it all planned years out
When contracted players move on, it is never black and white, Blair did in incredible job, Rioli especially would have stayed, but the deal was too good to refuse, that is why Pick 6 was always ours, and never put on the market.
No one disagrees with that. Mostly.

Reactions: 1 users
What you previously posted

No *smile*. But you made out that Bolton, Baker and Rioli wanted out and Blair gave them a gentle nudge..to force to out.
Absolute rubbish.

You better read back what you posted

What, by “gently nudging” 3 of our better players out the door. What a crock. H

Yeah, he persuaded him to leave. So know you agree with what Scoop said..he played the cards he was dealt.
There was no guarantee what picks he was going to get for any of the players he “gently nudged” out.

Revisionist hindsight

Slow down before your ego will makes your head explode

Your quote: “Hartley has been working for years to pave a road to this draft injection.”
We didn’t know Soldo was going to ask for a trade until last year. Unless Blair “gently nudged” him out the door as well.
There were never any guarantees what picks we’d be able to trade for or swap until the 2023 draft and trade period or what we could swap into 2024.

So it shows your statements have little fact. We wouldn’t have traded for Taranto and Hopper. We would have used those picks instead.

And referring to feral nonsense, you demonstrate being an authority on that from personal experience.
Not that I want to get involved in this conversation, nor do I presume to know what Carter is saying (as I've already indicated some of it was not accurate)...
At a very high level, Blair would have been told by our recruiting team 2+ years ago this was looking to be a good draft. So I think yes, there's a good chance he was planning a heavy involvement in it (as was probably 17 other clubs), I agree I don't think this was a marionette show being manipulated by Blair down to encouraging players to seek trades.

I think there was potential to tell Soldo he was going to be back in the pecking order to give time to allow Samson to grow (i don't see it, but anyway)...folks do those things to get players to move. No evidence and pure supposition. That's as close as I reckon anyone could get without Ivvy or Blair telling us otherwise.

You know my position on Blair's performance, but that's based on him actually making things happen. That is a hard enough job in itself - look at Matt Clarke for example. I think him reacting to players leaving and getting good value for us is the success. Normally when a player wants out, we've had the bottom hand. He's done well in that environment. Not sure why we need to create stories to support things.

Your bias against Blair, who has delivered an objectively good haul of picks, is extremely weird.

The plan going into the period was clearly to accumulate picks.

Done.

When the period was over, Blair literally said he would be flexible now that the hard work had been done.

Find a way to pick 2? Sure, if the deal suits.

Keep the picks? Yep, that’s also a win.

Do you understand this process? I don’t think you do.

Instead you peddle feral nonsense.
Funny how his plans changed when he gave up 2FR and 2 SR IN 2022????? He couldn't see where the list was at and now we are starting the rebuild 2 years later whilst his trades of 22 have 5 years left on their 7 year deals. Blair is overrated and is now the accidental hero bc players left and gave him picks as well as him and Clarke running the team into the ground has given him poll position in the draft.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
No pile on. Just his statement that Blair planned this draft years out.
Considering players themselves didn’t know whether they were going, the draft return we got back was always going to be speculative

Already contracted long term. Why? If he was always heading back to WA

And that statement is one we all agree on. As Scoop stated, Blair played with the cards he was dealt. Carter laughed at that..reckoned Blair had it all planned years out

No one disagrees with that. Mostly.

I said Blair had picks banked in the second and third round, not that he had it planned years out.

But more importantly, who cares anyway? What hill are you dying on?

That Blair is only an excellent list manager, not a superb one?

Lol dude you need to get out more

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Funny how his plans changed when he gave up 2FR and 2 SR IN 2021????? He couldn't see where the list was at and now we are starting the rebuild 2 years later whilst his trades of 21 have 5 years left on their 7 year deals. Blair is overrated and is now the accidental hero bc players left and gavbe him picks as well as him and Clarke running the team into the ground has given him poll position in the draft.
Dude to be honest I just see your posts and my eyes glaze over.

Nothing personal, I’m sure you’re getting the odd good point in.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep I remember discussion last year how our strategy was clearly aimed at maximising picks in this years draft because it was so good and because of Tasmania entering. The players leaving kicked it up several notches. Blair has clearly been more far-sighted than most of his contempories.
rubbish as Yze was looking at making finals. So Blair was aware contracted Rioli and Bolton wanted out and Baker wanted to move on? Nonsense on stilts as Blair thought we had a premiership window ajar.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
What you previously posted

No *smile*. But you made out that Bolton, Baker and Rioli wanted out and Blair gave them a gentle nudge..to force to out.
Absolute rubbish.

You better read back what you posted

What, by “gently nudging” 3 of our better players out the door. What a crock. H

Yeah, he persuaded him to leave. So know you agree with what Scoop said..he played the cards he was dealt.
There was no guarantee what picks he was going to get for any of the players he “gently nudged” out.

Revisionist hindsight

Slow down before your ego will makes your head explode

Your quote: “Hartley has been working for years to pave a road to this draft injection.”
We didn’t know Soldo was going to ask for a trade until last year. Unless Blair “gently nudged” him out the door as well.
There were never any guarantees what picks we’d be able to trade for or swap until the 2023 draft and trade period or what we could swap into 2024.

So it shows your statements have little fact. We wouldn’t have traded for Taranto and Hopper. We would have used those picks instead.

And referring to feral nonsense, you demonstrate being an authority on that from personal experience.
Triggered, good more please.

I said Blair had picks banked in the second and third round, not that he had it planned years out.
You don’t even know what you post. :ROFLMAO:
But more importantly, who cares anyway? What hill are you dying on?
Only your ego when you think you know all.
That Blair is only an excellent list manager, not a superb one?
Opinion isn’t fact. A superb list manager wouldn’t have our list in tatters, so we had to overpay with the likes of Hopper. No key forwards, I ruckman, oh yes so superb we had to nudge our best players out to get draft picks :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
You don’t even know what you post. :ROFLMAO:

Only your ego when you think you know all. What a childish response. *smile* wit

Opinion isn’t fact. A superb list manager wouldn’t have our list in tatters, so we had to overpay with the likes of Hopper. No key forwards, I ruckman, oh yes so superb we had to nudge our best players out to get draft picks :ROFLMAO:

You need to grow up dude and get your head out of your arse.
lol

So Scoop, an occasionally decent poster compared to the rabble infecting this infamous board at the minute, has posited that Blair Hartley could only work “with the hand he was dealt”. That is, in his eyes, four players who wanted out. Therefore, he was only reacting. Making the best of a bad situation. Not a messiah, just a naughty boy.

Let us consider, then, the two following scenarios:

1) Players want out. Approach Blair. He wants to keep them all, they are contracted, but out of the goodness of his heart he chooses to help them. Fortunately Fremantle, one of only two teams in Bolton’s home state, ended up with three first-rounders to leverage a suitable trade. Most fortuitously GC had the picks to satisfy a Rioli trade. West Coast thankfully bent over backwards to facilitate Baker, breaking up pick 3 to do so. What’s that now? We have all those picks? How lucky we are. Never part of the plan. If Blair had his way we’d keep all four players and happily finish stone cold last for the next decade.

2) The playing season goes south in May. On top of the injury crisis, it is patently obvious that the list is in free fall, as evidenced by our eventual poor finish. The board is rightfully concerned and inquires as to our future direction. Board, executive and football department agree. No more short cuts. We are out of contention. The first phase of any rebuild is draft capital. Blair as list manager is tasked with accumulating as much as possible before compromised drafts kick in. Otherwise the rebuild will take too long and we’d be in danger of a failed launch. So we look at the assets. Bolton. Talented but not in the next window. Who is the most likely suitor? Fremantle. Multiple first rounders and plays in with the “go home” narrative. So we tap him on the shoulder. He agrees. Baker approaches Blair with the idea of heading home. Blair won’t stand in his way - that’s another first rounder, probably from west coast. Who else? Who else but the reigning best and fairest winner. We could’ve convinced him to stay and he would’ve gotten another JDM. But Blair knew GC would pay a premium. We let him walk. Pick 6 in particular is good business. And on to the draft for a brand new midfield, kickstarting a rebuild in the most efficient, effective way imaginable.

Dunno about some dullards on here, but I’m going with option 2. Nothing personal. Just a healthy confidence that Blair Hartley and the club at large, a club coming off three flags, is kinda professional enough to plan ahead and put the club before any individual.

No key forwards, I ruckman, oh yes so superb we had to nudge our best players out to get draft picks :ROFLMAO:
And here it is.

You are saying we didn’t need to “trade out our best players”.

But we did, William Shatner. We did. For reasons explained to within an inch of their lives on this very thread.

You would have us consigned to the bottom four dungeon for a loooong time with this perspective.

But it’s ok, not everyone here gets it.

Revisionist history. Our last flag was 4 years ago. It’s not like we’ll be threatening for a few more years. Maybe 3 before we play finals again if we’re lucky.
So 7 or 8 years. Fantastic list management. We wait until one of best long term contracted players indicates he wants to go home. Or he doesn’t and Blair nudges him…
Then another 2 get nudges and one FA is nudged but we raise our contract offer to try to make out we want to keep him, even though he was expected to get us a more decent compo return. But he goes anyway. Well played Blair. ;)
Yeah, that’s what happened. That’s why Blair kept Cotch when he couldn’t walk and JR and Prestia, the fitness freak who hardly misses a game due to his resilient body.
It all makes sense now…
Hardly… put the Big Ego’s post in the jokes section

And here it is.

You are saying we didn’t need to “trade out our best players”.

But we did, William Shatner. We did. For reasons explained to within an inch of their lives on this very thread.

You would have us consigned to the bottom four dungeon for a loooong time with this perspective.

But it’s ok, not everyone here gets it.
You missed the point when you were too busy stroking your ego