Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Would think Richmond might look to make a play for Essendon's pick 9 with their list manager's comments today that they are unlikely to be able to trade up so need to trade it out as there is an expectancy of an early bid on Kako.

Essendon also need points as their only other pick is 31 = 606 points.

Pick 9 is worth 1469 points.

Richmond has pick 24 = 785 points and the picks from 32 onwards are worth over 2,100 points.

Not out of the realms of possibility that Richmond could look to try and get Essendon's pick 9 as well as Brisbane's pick 20. Especially with Richmond's other trades that are yet to drop and potentially other secondary picks that might be used as sweeteners by the Suns or Freo.
This is usually done near the end of trade day. If we some how end up getting Bumbers and Bris 1st picks the media will implode

Yeh grab pick 9 with enough junk picks to equal 5 or 6 and tell freo we’ll take Allan if they don’t play fair. On trade it to them if they do for an inflated price
Yes id be targeting essondons pick not brisbane give em a future 2nd rd and late picks for points in this draft

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure where this stands but the Wilson kid? Is he likely to be signed in some draft?

Geez lots are overreacting to the early trade posturing. Talk about panic sheesh.

No, you don’t take your merch off the table just because the buyer is strutting like a peacock at your asking price.

You sit back and you wait. You calmly remind the buyer that the merch is already accounted for with the owner who is quite happy to keep it if need be.

You identify whether the buyer is inherently desperate and / or stupid. In negotiation these are usually one and the same.

Gold Coast is desperate for relevance in this competition. Just like Fremantle. The perfect buyers. Moreover, their head coach is a bull. He wants the merchandise. That imperative trickles down.

Desperation confirmed. Now we wait for GC to up the ante. We don’t expect to acquire 6 and 13. That is just the starting position. It tells GC we are not going to accept 6 in isolation. It tells them the deal will probably land on 6 and an early 20s.

This will happen at the end of the week / early next week. The wait is just for show. To demonstrate strength. For members, for media. Image. Prestige. Decorum. All relatively meaningless.

Most deals can be charted, and understood, from the respective opening positions.
Both deals already accepted way before this week.
This 2 weeks is just a circus to get players managers names into the media to grow their business.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard from a Essendon mate that they have offered us their pick 9 and Hobbs for the suns pick 6 on the assumption we get it and one of our later picks.

I am not advocating it, just passing on what I was told.

I suspect it was it could be speculation rather than fact
Hobbs has declared he will stay at Essendon for his contracted season of 2025.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand why anyone worries about how long the trade period is.
Who cares? The only reason it is even an issue is because the media nuffies want to talk incessantly through it.
We know the deals will all be done next week

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I don’t understand why anyone worries about how long the trade period is.
Who cares? The only reason it is even an issue is because the media nuffies want to talk incessantly through it.
We know the deals will all be done next week
I don't think anyone worries about it. I think folks (me included) just think it's unnecessarily long given that the period is
just used for posturing and chest beating by the list and player managers. We could get the same results most likely by
shortening the window.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think anyone worries about it. I think folks (me included) just think it's unnecessarily long given that the period is
just used for posturing and chest beating by the list and player managers. We could get the same results most likely by
shortening the window.
But what harm does having trade week this long do? or who would be harmed if it was trade fortnight? or trade month?

i reckon there are probably a deal or 2 made each year or 2 that wouldnt happen if the trade period was 3 days- there is always a player that gets thrown up late who needs a medical or a meeting before a trade can be made. the only reason to shorten the trade period is to stop people listening and reading all the rubbish pumped out by the media and less reputable fan forums.

shortening the window.
Yeah I know what you mean but you see posts here and elsewhere on social media about it and some seem very exercised by it being so long.
Funny thing is that we could start it next week and it wouldn’t really make any difference because discussions would still happen this week. It just wouldn’t be called trade period !!

But what harm does having trade week this long do? or who would be harmed if it was trade fortnight? or trade month?

i reckon there are probably a deal or 2 made each year or 2 that wouldnt happen if the trade period was 3 days- there is always a player that gets thrown up late who needs a medical or a meeting before a trade can be made. the only reason to shorten the trade period is to stop people listening and reading all the rubbish pumped out by the media and less reputable fan forums.
No ones saying it’s harmful, just silly/frustrating/unnecessary for it to be so long. And if it were a 3 day event the participants would just work quicker to get a trade done, as it stands they just play the waiting game because they have the time to do so. And anyway, we all know they are facilitating trades before the trade period commences.

Kinda like Sintiger said below your post - these things have been in discussion already for weeks.
This is just theatre and doesn't really need to go on this long (publically).

The limitation is to actually get the paperwork in - that should be limited so that all the posturing etc is over and paperwork submitted in a much faster way.
The other aspect to this is the players. They find out faster whether they're moving interstate, or maybe that now player x has been traded they'll now get re-signed.
The only one who benefits from this long drawn out BS is the media.

We grabbed Brisbane Lions 1st round pick (20) in exchange for a bevy of 2nd/3rd round picks

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
Gave up 32, 42, 43 & 45 = 1804 points

Received pick 20 = 912 points

Head scratching as to why we paid so much, no other team came close to having the points we could offer.

On face value we well and truly overpaid

Reactions: 7 users
Gave up 32, 42, 43 & 45 = 1804 points

Received pick 20 = 912 points

Head scratching as to why we paid so much, no other team came close to having the points we could offer.

On face value we well and truly overpaid

Actually 32, 42, 43 & 45 = 1,704 points.

Pretty much as expected. If we didn't have pick 1 would have costed more for pick 20 in this draft.

Reactions: 1 user