Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Why would Brisbane trade for break even?

The whole idea is they need more points.
So why should we lose on it ? They want they can pay for points. The last I witnessed was they won a premiership and we won a spoon so why should we make them fatter?

So why should we lose on it ? They want they can pay for points. The last I witnessed was they won a premiership and we won a spoon so why should we make them fatter?
Because it gets us another first round pick.

Also we have so many picks & we wont end up using all of them anyway so why not improve our draft hand

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I think more likely they will try and trade up a few spots ahead of the Saints who if they keep with 2 picks, I reckon 1 will be Kako.

How about when we get 6, maybe 9 and a F2 for Pick 6? Would we do that? I reckon we might. We drop 3 picks and gain an extra 2nd next year.

Accumulating points in the 2nd and 3rd round, will likely again pay dividends, allowing us to trade those later picks up into 1st rounders next year.
What if Melbn bid?

Apparently they're posturing to bid / trade.
Otherwise i'd agree with you.
Think we could get the same player at 9

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with all that. But and a big but. It all depends who they can trade out.
Supposedly Devon Robertson. Not sure of his value. Any other fringies worth a few points?
They’ve got some work ahead of themselves
They'd be needing way more than fringie player values for what they're needing to cover. Most clubs either don't have any points to be giving away or desperately want to have at least one good lick at this years draft so won't be doing any trading. Gee Whizz, Mould Coast n Tiges probably the only clubs that could help them get enough points in for what they need, or do they play tip rats n try to scrounge scrap points for garbage players from anywhere. Gunna be a hell of a lot more expensive than just the two end of first rounders Brisvegas will have to offer.

Also we have so many picks & we wont end up using all of them anyway so why not improve our draft hand
We could always use our extra mid range picks to trade up into next years draft instead. Might be plenty of clubs wanting to grab someone this year n happy to step down a bit from next years more uncertain pickings. No desperate need to give the reigning premiers a massively discounted handout which will make them even stronger again.
If ya wanna be the champs ya gotta be able to beat the current champ and under strict VFL / AFL tradition that starts with white anting n hamstringing the bastard before you even get in the ring. Pull the bastards back down from underneath.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

No that's silly as we are catering to them. Hartley isn't stupid do that deal. WE haven't done any trades yet so nobody knows how many picks we have. Doing a deal like that means we've given away at least 3 Jack Graham's away for free. or a pick 16-17 to make the Lions stronger. We need to do trades for Rioli, Baker and Bolton and these late picks maybe sweeteners in getting them done to get us better picks. The aim of the draft is to make lower clubs stronger and not the top teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We could always use our extra mid range picks to trade up into next years draft instead. Might be plenty of clubs wanting to grab someone this year n happy to step down a bit from next years more uncertain pickings. No desperate need to give the reigning premiers a massively discounted handout which will make them even stronger again.
If ya wanna be the champs ya gotta be able to beat the current champ and under strict VFL / AFL tradition that starts with white anting n hamstringing the bastard before you even get in the ring. Pull the bastards back down from underneath.
Thanks for some commonsense.

No that's silly as we are catering to them. Hartley isn't stupid do that deal. WE haven't done any trades yet so nobody knows how many picks we have. Doing a deal like that means we've given away at least 3 Jack Graham's away for free. or a pick 16-17 to make the Lions stronger. We need to do trades for Rioli, Baker and Bolton and these late picks maybe sweeteners in getting them done to get us better picks. The aim of the draft is to make lower clubs stronger and not the top teams.
That was the whole point of getting all those late picks to trade to a club who needs the points for academy picks & getting us another 1st rounder.

3 Jack Grahams , they could be 3 kids who never play a game

Plus we are going to have 8 picks in the top 25 , what are we going to do with all of them ?

Reactions: 3 users
With respect, that's not the strategy.

The idea is that the AFL's points allocation does not represent actual value.

We can trade a bunch of picks that we weren't going to use (I.e. Have no value to us) but that have a points value to bid on a father-son. But we get in a lower pick, which might not have the equivalent points value, but has more actual value to us, because it improves the quality of the picks we are going to use.

E.g. The picks 45, 51, 61 and 70 effectively have no value for us, because we probably won't use them. But they have a points value of 800 or so, about the same as pick 22.

So if we package them up with 34 or something, and trade for Brisbane's pick 20, Brisbane get a massive increase in points for bidding, and we effectively upgrade pick 34 to pick 20 for free.

It's a win win.

The actual numbers can be ironed out, but in this sort of deal we have to lose out on points, but we don't lose in reality.

Reactions: 13 users
Is there anything stopping us bidding on Ashcroft at 1 and then have Brisbane come begging to us for points?

Obviously you run the risk of them having done a deal for points with another club but their options are pretty limited in that regard.

There's certainly no rush to do a deal with them yet. Best to survey the landscape at the end of trade period and go from there.

Now they are chasing Freemantle's pick #11 to get the Houston deal done.

That was the whole point of getting all those late picks to trade to a club who needs the points for academy picks & getting us another 1st rounder.

3 Jack Grahams , they could be 3 kids who never play a game

Plus we are going to have 8 picks in the top 25 , what are we going to do with all of them ?
No i used that as an example and our first rounder could also be a dud based on recent history. I'm solely looking at it as what's a fair deal. You've done your maths wrong as we are getting pick 20 already in the original post i made, but are 1053 points over. They need to give us an extra first rounder.

Do you understand these numbers?

• Dislike

We can trade a bunch of picks that we weren't going to use (I.e. Have no value to us) but that have a points value to bid on a father-son. But we get in a lower pick, which might not have the equivalent points value, but has more actual value to us, because it improves the quality of the picks we are going to use.

E.g. The picks 45, 51, 61 and 70 effectively have no value for us, because we probably won't use them. But they have a points value of 800 or so, about the same as pick 22.

So if we package them up with 34 or something, and trade for Brisbane's pick 20, Brisbane get a massive increase in points for bidding, and we effectively upgrade pick 34 to pick 20 for free.

It's a win win.

The actual numbers can be ironed out, but in this sort of deal we have to lose out on points, but we don't lose in reality.
Points above pick 51 i agree on, but the others such as 32,42, 43 and 51 are still possible sweeteners in the trades for Rioli, Baker and Bolton. Why should we help Brisbane get Marshal and Ashcroft. I'd rather they got 20% BONUS points compo if we select Ascroft than donate them 1051 possible points.

Is there anything stopping us bidding on Ashcroft at 1 and then have Brisbane come begging to us for points?

Obviously you run the risk of them having done a deal for points with another club but their options are pretty limited in that regard.

There's certainly no rush to do a deal with them yet. Best to survey the landscape at the end of trade period and go from there.
Read this article mate

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

It's a win win.

Why should we package them up with 34? If we don't use 34 it can be used as a sweetener in another trade or we can trade it on draft night for a future pick. The guarantee not to bid on Ashcroft at 1 is the reason why they should accept an even points trade.

Reactions: 2 users
Now they are chasing Freemantle's pick #11 to get the Houston deal done.
Let them.

If they do that, they miss out on Bolton.

Do you really think Freo will sabotage this? Because I don't, it's all posturing and I would like to think Blair isn't dumb enough to fall for the bluff.

I would rather keep Bolton than taking 10+18.

Don't blink.

Reactions: 5 users

It's a win win.

We would be better placed to use the later picks in deals with the players wanting to leave, or even to help us move higher up/ into 2025.

Giving away points makes no sense, and even less when it is to the reigning premiers.

Everyone agrees we shouldn't just let them be in 2024 and pass on the picks, but handing them over for little or no return, just isn't good practise.