Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

There's a link between RFC and Armstrong somewhere in all the scuttlebutt, Dell. I reckon we'd be a chance take him at #10 if he's there and we've got the pick. But I think you're right about the Saints possibly menacing Armstrong at #7. So maybe Taylor has to take him at #5.

If Thursfield trades #2 to us he knows Taylor is not taking Tauru at #5. That's a huge piece of the puzzle.

BTW I think it would be hilarious if Thursfield traded down to #6 and then took Smillie.
Get in there and sort all these potatoes out Robertson ! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
After watching several power drafts would not give up more than 10 and 18 for pick 2, North would still probably get the player they want and we would have the options jags FOL or Lalor, that being the only advantage. Given such an even draft we would not lose much by not changing at all.
I would only do it
For 11 and 20
No to 6 & 10

Reactions: 4 users
I would only do it
For 11 and 20
No to 6 & 10
I'm probably in the same boat.

North doesn't have a lot of obvious suitors for pick #2.

GWS, for example, would have to burn an awful lot draft capital to trade up that far.

Theoretically, Melbourne and St Kilda could do it, but they're already so well placed to bring in 2x elite talents.

I'd call North's bluff. They'd be crazy to pick Tauru at #2, but it's highly beneficial to our pick #6 prospects if they do.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon North is unlikely to get full value for #2.

That's clearly to our advantage.

I'm probably in the same boat.

North doesn't have a lot of obvious suitors for pick #2.

GWS, for example, would have to burn an awful lot draft capital to trade up that far.

Theoretically, Melbourne and St Kilda could do it, but they're already so well placed to bring in 2x elite talents.

I'd call North's bluff. They'd be crazy to pick Tauru at #2, but it's highly beneficial to our pick #6 prospects if they do.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon North is unlikely to get full value for #2.

That's clearly to our advantage.
Correct. Reckon 6 and 23 does it.

If Thursfield trades #2 to us he knows Taylor is not taking Tauru at #5.
Surprised Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
  • Love
I wouldn’t be letting go of pick #6 without a hell of a fight.
You have to look at it from North’s perspective. They have targeted a player and if a deal doesn’t all but guarantee that player they will simply hold onto the pick that does.

I’m not saying do it, just that offering them a pick that doesn’t get the result they want is not going to get us pick 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The pick swap window is now open from October 17th until November 8th

The delisted free agency window runs from November 1st until November 8th

Reactions: 1 user
You have to look at it from North’a perspective. They have targeted a player and if a deal doesn’t all but guarantee that player they will simply hold onto the pick that does.

I’m not saying do it, just that offering them a pick that doesn’t get the result they want is not going to get us pick 2.
It's more complex than that (isn't it always :))).

Assuming the player they've targeted is Tauru (per the consensus), would picking him at #2 be an overreach?

Twomey's first 8 selections in his latest phantom are midfielders. So, probably yes, it's an overreach.

But, Melbourne at #5 is potentially also in the market for a tall. If North does get our #6, there is no guarantee they get Tauru.

If I'm in North's shoes, I have to split pick #2 if I'm aiming for a tall.

They might have their hearts set on Tauru, but there is still Shanahan, Faull, Armstrong, Trainor and the Whitlocks, at least one of which will be available at #11.

Then imagine they can still collect, say, Joe Berry or Jesse Dattoli at #18.

The choice is then a guarantee of Tauru at #2 ...

Or a guaranteed high-rated tall (that still could be Tauru!) at #11 plus a Joe Berry-type at #18.

If I was North, I'd take option two all day long.

It's more complex than that (isn't it always :))).

Assuming the player they've targeted is Tauru (per the consensus), would picking him at #2 be an overreach?

Twomey's first 8 selections in his latest phantom are midfielders. So, probably yes, it's an overreach.

But, Melbourne at #5 is potentially also in the market for a tall. If North does get our #6, there is no guarantee they get Tauru.

If I'm in North's shoes, I have to split pick #2 if I'm aiming for a tall.

They might have their hearts set on Tauru, but there is still Shanahan, Faull, Armstrong, Trainor and the Whitlocks, at least one of which will be available at #11.

Then imagine they can still collect, say, Joe Berry or Jesse Dattoli at #18.

The choice is then a guarantee of Tauru at #2 ...

Or a guaranteed high-rated tall (that still could be Tauru!) at #11 plus a Joe Berry-type at #18.

If I was North, I'd take option two all day long.
Depends on whether they want a tall or Tauru

I think you have to factor in what went out the door as well. Yes our picks are great and we did the best we could given the circumstances, but the fact remains that we lost 3 of our best players in the process.
No doubt we lost 3 quality players but the point is we were on a decent slide and keeping these 3 would have made absolutely no difference to our premiership chances in the next 3-4 years. Perhaps we won an extra game or 2. We have turned that into 8 first round picks which gives us the opportunity to possibly find 6 A graders and 2 Elites that will be our next group of premiership players. Of course we have to pick the right ones but we have given ourselves every opportunity to turn the ship right around in one big haul. That is A+ for mine.

Reactions: 8 users

Like an expansion team: Tigers make history on day of sadness, rebirth​

ByJake Niall​

To lose three players, in their primes, during one post-season after a host of decorated veterans have retired, is unusual, but not unprecedented.
But to emerge with eight draft choices inside the top 25 - five of them created by the crisis of losing those key players – is unparalleled in the AFL’s modern model of a draft system.

2025 shapes as a tough year for the Tigers after the departure of several key players, but their draft hand should give fans optimism for the future.

2025 shapes as a tough year for the Tigers after the departure of several key players, but their draft hand should give fans optimism for the future.Credit:Getty Images

On the measure of immediate prospects, Richmond will once again be Struggletown, the name given to the former industrial, working class suburb that gave birth to the Tigers. They will do well to win more than half a dozen games next year or to make finals any earlier than 2027.
On the measure of longer-term prosperity, however, Richmond has absolutely cleaned up.

Their draft haul is comparable to the largesse that was handed to expansion clubs, Gold Coast and GWS, when they entered the competition, with the critical difference that they will be adding these talented draftees to an established, powerful club rather than a fledgling operation.
And while they have a list that has lost Trent Cotchin and most of their triple premiership core, they will be adding those teenagers – callow midfielders, key positions and flankers – to pretty reasonable remnants, such as Tom Lynch, Nick Vlastuin, Nathan Broad, Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Jayden Short and Noah Balta, the latter having just signed a seven-year contract extension.

If Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper didn’t sign up for a rebuild of this magnitude, they can now dream that, like Luke Breust, James Sicily and Jack Gunston at Hawthorn, they will see finals again once these youngsters have been together for three full seasons.

So, if Richmond fans lost heart during 2024 – watching the final stages of a crumbling dynasty, as Dusty Martin and Brendon Gale exited and then premiership heroes Daniel Rioli, Liam Baker and Shai Bolton headed home (Perth) or found new digs on the Gold Coast alongside Damien Hardwick – they should begin 2025 with revived spirits.
The path forward is clear. As the club’s head of list management Blair Hartley noted, they have various options for using those prized draft choices, which comprise picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23 and 24.
Hartley said the Tigers “wouldn’t rule out anything” in terms of trading picks on the night of the draft, or spreading their bets by trading some of this hand into 2025.

Richmond’s general manager of football Blair Hartley will have a prominent role at the national draft.

Richmond’s general manager of football Blair Hartley will have a prominent role at the national draft.Credit:AFL Photos via Getty Images

“Patience is required, but we’re really excited by what’s to come,” he said, adding that this regeneration process at Richmond “will take time, but people understand that.”

As Hawthorn has shown, the Tigers will soon become attractive to free agents and mature players who fit their needs once their youngsters make the great leap forward in development.
In the space of 12 months, Hawthorn went from being derided as irrelevant to a team that attracted Josh Battle and Tom Barrass (who finally got to the Hawks at the buzzer).
Hartley, one of the AFL’s most well-regarded football operators, is not given to outward displays of emotion, and if he played poker his hand wouldn’t be easily discerned from his expression.

But at the conclusion of his media conference, Hartley did show the emotion that had been welling up, pressing against the dam in recent weeks as he and the Tigers dealt with the awful cancer that afflicted their popular recruiting manager Chris Toce.

Hartley ended by paying tribute to “the Toce family” – a reference to the tragic passing of their recruiting boss, who had died on the same day, October 16, that will be remembered as a rebirth of sorts for Richmond.

Toce, who had filled the same role at St Kilda and worked at Collingwood in recruiting, had been coming in to the office to assist Hartley in preparing for what will be the most consequential draft at Richmond since? Take your pick, so to speak, between the 2009 draft when Dustin Martin arrived, the 2007 draft that yielded Cotchin and Alex Rance or the 2006 version that netted Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards.
The man who helmed the draft in those seminal seasons, Francis Jackson, had increased his presence with the Tigers to assist Hartley in recent weeks, Toce having remained active in the assessing of talent, coding games right up until a matter of a few weeks ago.

He would, as the Tigers said, have a major mark on the draft of 2024. That draft class – whether it comprises eight or six or seven youngsters from around the country – will define the next phase of the storied Richmond Football Club.
How refreshing. Actual journalism. Not much of that around these days.

Reactions: 22 users
We have the picks, some are tradable so now we have to hope we use our picks and any free agency wisely. Next season will be a tough rebuild but will be good to see new Tigers developing

No doubt we lost 3 quality players but the point is we were on a decent slide and keeping these 3 would have made absolutely no difference to our premiership chances in the next 3-4 years. Perhaps we won an extra game or 2. We have turned that into 8 first round picks which gives us the opportunity to possibly find 6 A graders and 2 Elites that will be our next group of premiership players. Of course we h
Regarding what we got:

Rioli 6 and 23
Bolton and Baker 10, 11 and 18.

So 4 first rounders, one 2nd rounder. (to go along with 1 and 24 that we already had). we also got 20 from brisbane

So we traded Bolton, Baker and Rioli for picks 6, 10, 11,18 and 23. ie we have 5 solid picks to replace 3 very good players