Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

The only reason I can see for not selecting 8 players is the logistics of getting game time into all of them at once, rotating 8 first year players into a team will be a challenge but not an impossible one.

Even if we take 8 kids with the picks under 25 not all of them will be ready to play the majority of 2025. The talls we take may not play serious game time in the seniors for 2 or 3 years

Reactions: 2 users
Understood the season wasn't good. However the C+ rating was for Richmond's performance during the trade period, not sure from the above whether that was transparent. Obviously for those who saw - the Age may have gone back and changed it to B- afterwards. Still BS in my opinion.
Off at a tangent. Just reflecting on what brought us to our trade period.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if we take 8 kids with the picks under 25 not all of them will be ready to play the majority of 2025. The talls we take may not play serious game time in the seniors for 2 or 3 years

On the flipside though, I reckon Fawcett will play a bit of senior footy next year as support for Lynch. The thing with keys is they need to work on strength and he was forced to do that with the other injuries he had, so physically he's probably ready to go.

You are right that not all the draftees will be ready to go, and those that are, probably won't play every game, its just not really possible for them physically to do it, but we have others on our list too that I think will get plenty more game time next year.

Kaleb Smith - Rioli's trade opens up a running back spot for him
McAuliife - Reckon he gets a lot more time in the midfield next year
Fawcett - As mentioned above
Steely Green - I'll admit I wasn't on the Green bus for a while, but he looked great in the seniors at the end of the year
Continued growth in Brown, Campbell, Banks, Rioli, hopefully Gibbo and Clarke are back

I'm excited to see growth of these other players too, that are less than 50 games currently and seeing how many of those, along with the new draftees can step up

Reactions: 9 users
Mick Ablett who is pretty good in the player talent space on SEN this morning reckons Blair Hartley is an absolute genius to end up with the draft hand we have and it was deliberate by Blair to have this many picks this year, (referring to trading we did last year for future 2025 picks), in what in his opinion is the strongest draft in 6-8 years. Not great to lose players but if you had to do it it was absolutely the right time.
Talent so good and deep he would take all picks to the draft and wouldn't trade into 2025 unless they got some unbelievable offer.
He also personally wouldn't bundle picks for pick 2.
Say's if we get draft right he could see us bouncing back in 2 to 3 years.
I'm gonna have to listen to it again on podcast. I heard Duz to the Huns again somewhere...

I'm gonna have to listen to it again on podcast. I heard Duz to the Huns again somewhere...
That was Schwartz segment so I wouldn't worry about that segment, it was a joke put to him because he previously said that Dusty would get to GC and the other panelist laughed that there was still time :)
Just go to the Mick Ablett segment

LOL, I'd bet the clubs aren't discussing that, Blair would just turn around and walk out and head to the draft. We have the list spots so no issue there, if we didn't we could trade into the 2025 draft, so we have no risk and there isn't a defined superstar at 2, sure he will be expected to be a better player, but not to that extent.
Yeah, I love the, we'll throw a F4 back at them to get the deal done 😂

• Haha
If we do trade into pick 2, who do people have in that 2 ? Bloody hard to pick.

Seems the field is being narrowed to just FOS, Jags and Lalor, but geez even that's hard to split. And that's without maybe 1 or 2 others still having some claims.

Pick 1 and 2. What's people's combo ?
Forgetting Lalors injury concerns , I’m Lalor and Fos , Smith if Lalors body doesn’t check out , think they are the clear 3.

Looking a bit more at Lalor think he’s a better version of Raynor, not as much Dusty , looks like the best on talent to me now .

Reactions: 1 users
It's a long way to the top. But looking back on our early drafts before the dynasty, it only took a few really good picks to make the difference. Let's hope this draft crop reaps the same result. Not sure I want to wait more than 2 years though... I'm getting impatient already

Understood the season wasn't good. However the C+ rating was for Richmond's performance during the trade period, not sure from the above whether that was transparent. Obviously for those who saw - the Age may have gone back and changed it to B- afterwards. Still BS in my opinion.
The rating is based on whether our list is better than before the trading period. Yes we have lots of early picks, but we also lost two very good contracted players. It would be difficult to rate our trade period higher than a B

He was carrying a hand injury of significance and got injured again in the first quarter. Massivly affected him.
He is still no good. He provides little to no pressure as a small forward. Thats his issue. There is a reason why Carlton sold him for a set of steak knives.

cmon TS we lost two jets and a very good player for 10,11,18 and possibly 6 and 23. you're just looking at the picks mate and not the quality lost as we never know with picks . The thing is most on here at the start of the draft wanted more and now Blair has delivered less and they're happy. I Think he's gone slightly under even, but the Rioli deal is the clincher. I think he's down by pick 32 and a f3 overall in this draft as his player trades were easy deals to be done.
I agree geez not pushing my own barrell but i actually had people lets say disgruntled with me for suggesting very similar to the actual outcomes.
Its called greed and most were being greedy. For a hbf 6 and 23 was fair not overs not unders.

I actually had us getting originally 9 and 16 for Bolton. Yes unders. Mainly because it was widely spoken about over here that Fremantle were determined to keep pick 11. Nearly everyone was saying 9 and 10. In the end it was 10,11,18 For Bolton and 14. It took a pick downgrade to get pick 11 out of them. Being greedy for once boy i would have loved us to keep pick 14.

Like you I was pissed off with the bundled pick trade and it affected other trades imo. Far too lobsided imo. 32 should never have been on the table.
It was our first trade and not a good start.

Baker well most pundits were Valuing Baker somewhere between 15 and i think 18 or 20. We got pick 14 it was the only pick available in that range.
So we got a slight over.
Personally i think Clarke really bungled this. Imo his only offer should have been pick 26 and a future pick possibly F2 or F3.

Like you have said i dont think he has failed he has done what was basically expected. I think we could have done just a little bit better but at least we have a draft haul and the haul is about the mark.

On Bolton i think he is underestimated by just about everyone. Such a shame we could not get a top 5 pick for him.

Well done Blair good job over all about what was expected.

Forgetting Lalors injury concerns , I’m Lalor and Fos , Smith if Lalors body doesn’t check out , think they are the clear 3.

Looking a bit more at Lalor think he’s a better version of Raynor, not as much Dusty , looks like the best on talent to me now .
For some reason Lalor gives me the Stringer vibes.

• Wow
It's a long way to the top. But looking back on our early drafts before the dynasty, it only took a few really good picks to make the difference. Let's hope this draft crop reaps the same result. Not sure I want to wait more than 2 years though... I'm getting impatient already

I agree geez not pushing my own barrell but i actually had people lets say disgruntled with me for suggesting very similar to the actual outcomes.
Its called greed and most were being greedy. For a hbf 6 and 23 was fair not overs not unders.

I actually had us getting originally 9 and 16 for Bolton. Yes unders. Mainly because it was widely spoken about over here that Fremantle were determined to keep pick 11. Nearly everyone was saying 9 and 10. In the end it was 10,11,18 For Bolton and 14. It took a pick downgrade to get pick 11 out of them. Being greedy for once boy i would have loved us to keep pick 14.

Like you I was pissed off with the bundled pick trade and it affected other trades imo. Far too lobsided imo. 32 should never have been on the table.
It was our first trade and not a good start.

Baker well most pundits were Valuing Baker somewhere between 15 and i think 18 or 20. We got pick 14 it was the only pick available in that range.
So we got a slight over.
Personally i think Clarke really bungled this. Imo his only offer should have been pick 26 and a future pick possibly F2 or F3.

Like you have said i dont think he has failed he has done what was basically expected. I think we could have done just a little bit better but at least we have a draft haul and the haul is about the mark.

On Bolton i think he is underestimated by just about everyone. Such a shame we could not get a top 5 pick for him.

Well done Blair good job over all about what was expected.
32 for 20 and you still think we got bent over.lol