Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Interesting.
Would possibly give us all 3 of Lalor FOS and Smith...otherwise Langford or Lindsay or Allen.
Assuming Draper Tauru and Armstrong taken before 6.
We can still get Faull Whitlock and Hannaford and maybe Algar or Dattoli.
Would be a nice haul.
Is FOS all he is cracked up to be ? I saw highlights on YouTube where he played vic metro & he only had 7 disposals

This is the sort of deal many North supporters are saying is fair. Every supporter page is bias including ours.

6/10/11 ideally but settle for 6/10/18. Throw in a F4 it might get it done
Cartoon gave up 12 14 for pick 3 and we’re supposed to give up 6 10 11 or 6 10 18 for pick 2?
Wouldnt trade pick 6 Its 10 & 11 for 2 Lolnorf can take it or leave it

Reactions: 2 users
That's not a serious possibility.

No wonder our club is choosing not to trade up if that's the sort of nonsense being spoken about as a fair deal.

Let North overreach for Tauru at #2 and we'll nab three deadset guns at #6, #10 and #18.

I know who wins out of that.
alot of commentators are saying that the draft is strong, we need to select various positions, couple of 3 mids, key backman and forward that five players within the top 20 selections.

with picks 20,23,24, we need to get from each pick either a future first rounder or and swap for a latter pick with a future second. for example carlton has pick 38, we swap pick 20, for 38 with a future second or third, bulldogs pick 35 for pick 23 and a future second, etc. What also may happen, is clubs may want our swapped picks of 38 & 35. we again do the same trade them for this round and futures. as we did last year.

Now that I am starting to read more about this draft - it ain’t a normal draft, it’s being talked about as a super deep draft where in any normal year any one of the top 25 players could be considered top 10 in any other draft year. This crop doesn’t have a standout top 1, or 3 or even top 10. Quality runs deeper than it ever has before. Perfect timing tigs to have 8 quality picks.

So why do we want to trade up to #2 when the cost will be at least 1 less high quality player. Carlton did but their list isn’t full of holes like ours, they are contenders and clearly want a type. Just cause lolnorf are fixated on one player type, why should we let them get that player and another one as well, they only have one pick, why are we helping them? Previous years you would die for a coveted pick 1, 2 or 3 and wouldn’t think twice about trading multiple early picks to get one, that’s how we have operated in just about every other year but this year is different.

The only reason I can see for not selecting 8 players is the logistics of getting game time into all of them at once, rotating 8 first year players into a team will be a challenge but not an impossible one.

Also, why is everyone suggesting that one of our last picks be moved into a future first round pick. Again, moving a pick 24 in a super deep draft to a pick 15 - 18 in a weaker draft doesn’t make sense, you get a lesser player and lose 12 months development time with the club. I would only consider this if we were confident it was going to be a good future top 10 pick.

As you can see, unless any trading of picks really really works in our favour, I am advocating we walk away with 8 sparkling newbies in the hope maybe half of them become absolute A graders.
Agree. It is a dart board, the more darts we throw at the board the better chance we hit a bullseye. Trading up to 2 could end up being too smart by half. I mean, Dusty was pick 3 when he was drafted and that was his relative measure at the time against the other 17 year olds. He just grew and grew and grew in capability and stature more than anybody else in any draft in modern times. There are many stories like his. You just don't know.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the sort of deal many North supporters are saying is fair. Every supporter page is bias including ours.

6/10/11 ideally but settle for 6/10/18. Throw in a F4 it might get it done

LOL, I'd bet the clubs aren't discussing that, Blair would just turn around and walk out and head to the draft. We have the list spots so no issue there, if we didn't we could trade into the 2025 draft, so we have no risk and there isn't a defined superstar at 2, sure he will be expected to be a better player, but not to that extent.

Reactions: 3 users
Little doubt will be trading into next years draft , I just hope we don’t give up to much this year , any trade would have to be of huge advantage to us with most likely a top 10 in next years coming back .

Are FOS and Lalor that far in front that is worth giving up 2 first rounders for 1 ? Maybe Smith is one of the two .

Be creative Blair but don’t waste the blessed hand we have been dealt
IMO its the Fos/Jagga combo all along.Both compliment each other.Ones an accumulator/Distribiture(Jagga) who will get it too the silkier FOS more often than not.

Reactions: 1 user
We got a c+ from the Age, and were ranked 11th in the trade period. That's utter *smile*.

View attachment 24697

Our season went bad.
Started early and while it doesn’t take much to go wrong, nearly every thing did. Dusty missing..
Finished with us releasing our three best players, one of whom was leaving anyway and that couldn’t have been prevented. (Deeply conflicted. Of course he got pissed. Who wouldn’t).

It was supported by some very poor handling of our very best player, which ultimately helped deliver pick 1.

Also propelled by poor fortune on the injury front plus a level of failure in our strength and conditioning and a general malaise, which itself led to a potentially dangerous level of disenchantment.. Is he wartime?

It was all over pretty quick, but there is always a tomorrow and the tomorrow is fascinating..

Last edited:
If the Dees have a shocker in 2025, I can see them doing a Richmond. Oliver and Petracca out.

They might try, but I doubt they get the same currency.

Petracca at 30 going into the 2026 season compared to Shai at 26
Oliver would be a similar age 28) to Rioli but is damaged goods it appears.

Injuries this year have sped up the decision making that we have made, and has accelerated our rebuild to the point that our top 10's should be in place prior to the Tassie drafts (assuming we pick well), the Dees are heading face first into the Tassie drafts being their rebuild drafts. Ouch.

If we do trade into pick 2, who do people have in that 2 ? Bloody hard to pick.

Seems the field is being narrowed to just FOS, Jags and Lalor, but geez even that's hard to split. And that's without maybe 1 or 2 others still having some claims.

Pick 1 and 2. What's people's combo ?
Fos & Jagga

Reactions: 1 users
Now that I am starting to read more about this draft - it ain’t a normal draft, it’s being talked about as a super deep draft where in any normal year any one of the top 25 players could be considered top 10 in any other draft year. This crop doesn’t have a standout top 1, or 3 or even top 10. Quality runs deeper than it ever has before. Perfect timing tigs to have 8 quality picks.

So why do we want to trade up to #2 when the cost will be at least 1 less high quality player. Carlton did but their list isn’t full of holes like ours, they are contenders and clearly want a type. Just cause lolnorf are fixated on one player type, why should we let them get that player and another one as well, they only have one pick, why are we helping them? Previous years you would die for a coveted pick 1, 2 or 3 and wouldn’t think twice about trading multiple early picks to get one, that’s how we have operated in just about every other year but this year is different.

The only reason I can see for not selecting 8 players is the logistics of getting game time into all of them at once, rotating 8 first year players into a team will be a challenge but not an impossible one.

Also, why is everyone suggesting that one of our last picks be moved into a future first round pick. Again, moving a pick 24 in a super deep draft to a pick 15 - 18 in a weaker draft doesn’t make sense, you get a lesser player and lose 12 months development time with the club. I would only consider this if we were confident it was going to be a good future top 10 pick.

As you can see, unless any trading of picks really really works in our favour, I am advocating we walk away with 8 sparkling newbies in the hope maybe half of them become absolute A graders.
Sounds perfectly logical to me, but unfortunately there's always the factor of people trying to snatch what someone else is looking at first. Happy if we can simply get a full hand of the best kids we can find with our selections rather than somehow trying to out think n out maneuver everyone else just because we need to have all the shiniest toys first.

Reactions: 3 users
alot of commentators are saying that the draft is strong, we need to select various positions, couple of 3 mids, key backman and forward that five players within the top 20 selections.

with picks 20,23,24, we need to get from each pick either a future first rounder or and swap for a latter pick with a future second. for example carlton has pick 38, we swap pick 20, for 38 with a future second or third, bulldogs pick 35 for pick 23 and a future second, etc. What also may happen, is clubs may want our swapped picks of 38 & 35. we again do the same trade them for this round and futures. as we did last year.

I think we probably end up a bit better than that. The 1st pick in the 2nd round could get a number of bids, maybe Port, Freo, Saints, Hawks etc like someone that has slid, they may offer us a 2nd to drop a few spots back in the draft. We will get offers for that pick, its whether taking a single late 1st / early 2nd, is better than maybe slipping back a few times and taking the 2nds and 3rds we are offered. Whilst points aren't as valuable next year, with so many academy players next year, there will certainly be trading of late picks back into the 1st round which we could be all over again.

Remember last year, we got Freos 3rd for sliding back 2 spots in the late 2nd round, and the same from West Coast for sliding back 3 spots.

Don't reckon we'd be dropping from 20 to 38 for a single 2nd or 3rd pick.

Our season went bad.
Started early and while it doesn’t take much to go wrong, nearly every thing did. Dusty missing..
Finished with us releasing our three best players, one of whom was leaving anyway and that couldn’t have been prevented. (Deeply conflicted. Of course he got pissed. Who wouldn’t).

It was supported by some very poor handling of our very best player, which ultimately helped deliver pick 1.

Also propelled by poor fortune on the injury front plus a level of failure in our strength and conditioning and a general malaise, which itself led to a potentially dangerous level of disenchantment.. Is he wartime?

It was all over pretty quick, but there is always a tomorrow and the tomorrow is fascinating..
Understood the season wasn't good. However the C+ rating was for Richmond's performance during the trade period, not sure from the above whether that was transparent. Obviously for those who saw - the Age may have gone back and changed it to B- afterwards. Still BS in my opinion.

Reality is if Geelong or Collingwood ended up with the picks we got after trade week everyone would be falling over each other to shoot their loads and call it the greatest trade period in history.
People just need to realise that we are rebuilding. Forget the players we lost. We needed a severe rebuild. We have been able to set ourselves up to kick start it in a single trade period. With Tassie coming in it could have taken us 5-6 years to do. That is what our trade should be measured on. Not the players we lost. The fact we have allowed ourselves the chance to rebuild overnight.

Reactions: 6 users