Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Not sure why people are wringing. We were never getting 10 and 11 for Shai just like we were never getting 6 and 13 for Daniel. It was either 10 and 18 for Shai or 10,11 and 18 with 14 back. Stoked we now have 10 and 11 for a player that had clearly disengaged and is not the type we need at this stage of our build

Reactions: 8 users
Think Draper (or Langford) might be more likely. Unless they see Smillie being a replacement for Cripps in years to come.

Draper fits a more immediate need plus they can pair him with 2 other SA's - the Camporeale's.
Good call re: Draper. Their midfield is just as slow as ours.

Reactions: 1 users
A tweet from Twomey:

Spot the difference:

The Tigers' draft hand after this trade period is easily at 'expansion club era' levels.

Gold Coast picks in 2010: 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13
GWS picks in 2011: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14
Richmond picks in 2024: 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24

So 7 picks in the top 11 or 9 picks in the top 11 = 4 picks in the top 11. Hmmm.

Both the first two drafts largely unaffected by F/S and academy players too.

Four things I love about this draft hand.

1. It's freakin' awesome.

2. The club built it without begging the AFL for handouts.

3. It was clearly the culmination a multi-year strategy. Our list management team oozes professionalism.

4. By all reports, we're not paying any of Baker, Rioli or Bolton's salaries. We don't need to build a free agency warchest for the Tassie-compromised draft years, we have it already.

Honestly, couldn't be happier with how things have panned out.

Reactions: 20 users
All this talk about Carlton and FOS. How would they know what we or Norf are looking at doing ? Especially if Norf split.

They've only moved up so aggressively to get someone that they 100% know they'll get.

I don't think it's FOS.
I would say there are 2 options-
A) they want someone like Draper (Langford/Smilie)- a highly rated player who wont go top 2.
or B) they rate FOS, Lalor and Jagga highly and want 1 of them.

For all the talk of the strong depth, i think there is a good argument that those 3 stand out from the crowd.

Reactions: 3 users
Four things I love about this draft hand.

1. It's freakin' awesome.

2. The club built it without begging the AFL for handouts.

3. It was clearly the culmination a multi-year strategy. Our list management team oozes professionalism.

4. By all reports, we're not paying any of Baker, Rioli or Bolton's salaries. We don't need to build a free agency warchest for the Tassie-compromised draft years, we have it already.

Honestly, couldn't be happier with how things have panned out.
So who leaves/left the list to make room for 8 or more players? (we don't want to waste pick 1 rookie draft, or PSD.)

Reactions: 1 user
Another option for Pick 2, might be something like 2 and 25 for 6, 18 and 20.

Pay 6 and 18 for 2, with a slight slideback from 20 to the 2nd pick of the 2nd round.

With max 9 list spots on the list, and with potentially 8 picks within the 1st 24 (before bids come in), reckon we will definitely open to losing 1 to move up further into that pointy range.

Probably trade 1 of the picks at the start of the 2nd round out, and go with 6 in the 1st 24, possibly our NGA graduate and then 2 rookies.

I think Blues want FOS or Lalor.
If so it will leave one of Smith or Draper for us at six....assume Tauru and Armstrong taken at 2 and 5.
Probably leaves us Smith .

Reactions: 1 user
So who leaves/left the list to make room for 8 or more players? (we don't want to waste pick 1 rookie draft, or PSD.)

Off the top of my head:

Baker, Bolton, Graham, Grimes, Naismith, Martin, Rioli, Pickett - all gone

Cumbo, Coulthard, Dow - maybe gone

...freeing up list space is the least of our problems.

Plus, wouldn't surprise me if we trade a few picks into 2025.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Blues want FOS or Lalor.
If so it will leave one of Smith or Draper for us at six....assume Tauru and Armstrong taken at 2 and 5.
Probably leaves us Smith .
Blues list says they need a Smith or Draper type or at a reach Tauru.
Could be Draper as their recruiters would have spent some time in SA viewing the Camporeale boys.

The salary cap is now really interesting.

How much have we shaved off our wages bill by losing Martin, Grimes, Baker, Bolton, Rioli and Graham? Maybe $4.5-$5 million?

We are incredibly well set up for a dip at some free agents moving forward.

Reactions: 3 users