Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

With 8 top class kids arriving, we really need to make sure the club's leaders are strong to avoid them becoming their own clique. We need that Richmond man ethos to continue.

Can we get Grigg, Chimp and Jackson back to the club. Shame that Lambert has left us.
lost Lambert, gained Morris... whom by all accounts is an absolute weapon of a coach

Reactions: 7 users
Are we making a play for 2?

Hopefully. I think the Carlton trade for 3, provides some of the basis around premiums that some of us talked about before the trade period. I was expecting premiums to be fairly significant bidding into the 6-20 region which is what we've seen, but I'd mentioned before the trade period, because of the fairly balanced approach amongst the top draftees, I didn't expect a huge premium to be paid to move into the top 5, which we saw with the Carlton bid. I think they got a great deal with WCE and I probably expected a bit more premium, but trading down wasn't really going to be about getting an exceptional deal, it was more going to be aligning clubs interests.

For this, I'd throw 6 and 18 out at North and see what they think. The theory is if they want Tauru and think he'll still be there at 6, then they gain an extra pick in the 1st round. We have that many picks, that we can probably afford to give 1 away as a premium to move up the draft. It may not be quite enough, to get there but maybe we can swap future 2nd's as part of the deal to grease the wheels somewhat. With the way North finished the year, I reckon they'd think they should move into the 10-13 region so might be enough to get it over the line. Not a huge premium but aligning interests of clubs.

Reactions: 1 user
All this talk about Carlton and FOS. How would they know what we or Norf are looking at doing ? Especially if Norf split.

They've only moved up so aggressively to get someone that they 100% know they'll get.

I don't think it's FOS.

Reactions: 2 users
So many folks still don’t get it.

Hartley has been luring list managers into his basement like zed from pulp fiction.

He has absolutely blitzed it.

Every trade has been executed with the final vision in mind - 7-8 picks in the top 25 in a top-skewed draft.

That was his mission and he succeeded. Wildly.

Folks are being too sentimental whilst simultaneously not factoring in the human element.

Bolton was done with us. Done. Nothing left to prove or give. Ditto Rioli.

Players no longer in sync with the club’s new path. So you trade them at peak value to someone else because they are no longer part of our next premiership puzzle.

It is just consummate list management. Elite.

Anyone who isn’t happy / excited with our group heading into 2025 is just miserable full stop.

Zed, it's Maynard. Think the spider has caught a couple of flies....

Great scene!

Freo offered 10,11 & 18 for Bolton/Baker.

West Coast gave us 14 for Baker
Bolton gave us 10,11 lose 14 & F3, drop 4 places to 18.

Freo's deal was a little bit better but Baker is happy he got his chosen destination & our relationships with both clubs is in a solid place. I'm ok with that.

Reactions: 7 users
I think the vast majority of people get it. There might be some disagreement around how good some individual deals are, but overall, everyone understands whats going on and why.

Agree Blair is doing a great job. Still the best in the business.

I think the Shai deal is an easy sell for both clubs:

It is a massive boost for the Dockers, who will be desperate to rebound next year after missing the finals in 2024, while Richmond has one of the biggest draft hauls in history - picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20 and 24.

A two-time premiership player, Bolton was an All-Australian in 2022, and led Richmond's goalkicking this year.

Amazing trade period which really sets us up for success in 3-4 years - if we do it right.
yes but when you lose your B&F, your best X factor player, and your toughest mr fix it man, then you expect to have an amazing trade period right. you just lost 3 of your top 10 best players, of course you expect a good trade period to occur. the thing is now picking the right players in the draft so that at least 3 of those become the above 3 palyers you have just lost.

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully. I think the Carlton trade for 3, provides some of the basis around premiums that some of us talked about before the trade period. I was expecting premiums to be fairly significant bidding into the 6-20 region which is what we've seen, but I'd mentioned before the trade period, because of the fairly balanced approach amongst the top draftees, I didn't expect a huge premium to be paid to move into the top 5, which we saw with the Carlton bid. I think they got a great deal with WCE and I probably expected a bit more premium, but trading down wasn't really going to be about getting an exceptional deal, it was more going to be aligning clubs interests.

For this, I'd throw 6 and 18 out at North and see what they think. The theory is if they want Tauru and think he'll still be there at 6, then they gain an extra pick in the 1st round. We have that many picks, that we can probably afford to give 1 away as a premium to move up the draft. It may not be quite enough, to get there but maybe we can swap future 2nd's as part of the deal to grease the wheels somewhat. With the way North finished the year, I reckon they'd think they should move into the 10-13 region so might be enough to get it over the line. Not a huge premium but aligning interests of clubs.
I expect this conversation to gain momentum as we get closer to the draft.

All this talk about Carlton and FOS. How would they know what we or Norf are looking at doing ? Especially if Norf split.

They've only moved up so aggressively to get someone that they 100% know they'll get.

I don't think it's FOS.
Correct. All they know it will be one of FOS, Lalor and Jagga. But gut feel is they are keen Smilie.

Correct. All they know it will be one of FOS, Lalor and Jagga. But gut feel is they are keen Smilie.
Think Draper (or Langford) might be more likely. Unless they see Smillie being a replacement for Cripps in years to come.

Draper fits a more immediate need plus they can pair him with 2 other SA's - the Camporeale's.

Reactions: 3 users
Freo offered 10,11 & 18 for Bolton/Baker.

West Coast gave us 14 for Baker
Bolton gave us 10,11 lose 14 & F3, drop 4 places to 18.

Freo's deal was a little bit better but Baker is happy he got his chosen destination & our relationships with both clubs is in a solid place. I'm ok with that.

In other words, Blair wasn't a push over but still maintained good relationships with other parties. Win win. Good work Blair.

Reactions: 2 users
Did Freo really offer 10, 11 and 18 for Bolton and Baker. All I heard is Freo approached Baker to tempt him across but he was committed to WCE.