Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

craig said:
Id just forget about drafting Aboriginal players full stop unless they are champing at the bit to come to Melbourne and really want to be there,l and express and show a keen desire to play for the Tigers.

Don't be such a quitter Craig.

Phantom said:
A good example is Austin Wonaeamirri.
Last season he was plagued by leg injury and he was gaining weight quickly.
Most would have thought him going out the back door.
Instead, Melbourne have him turned around, focused, and performing at senior level.

As I understood it he had thrown the towel in and had to be convinced to come back as well. Let's see how he progresses over a period of time before we commend Melbourne for their ability to turn him around. Let's face it Taylor is a completely different character anyway, with some attitude issues that culminated in police arrest. I maintain that the problem isn't with our ability to nurture aboriginal players, just that the ones we've picked up are in general not good enough for AFL footy. Sort out our recruitment meothods, in particular our screening methods, and it won't be a problem.

The facts are that Indigenous players are as different to each other as caucasian players are. Some players come from working class backgrounds , they come from interstate , some are comfortable at 18 in an elite sporting environment and some are not . Each player has to some extent have to be treated as an individual. Troy Taylor is no different except his needs may be greater . It seems to me that the club has done much to help Troy and I for one don't see some endemic problem with indigenous players at RFC . Richard Tambling spent 6 years at Richmond and is anyone aware that he had issues because he is indigenous ?
We need to pick the right players whether they be indigenous or not . We seem to have no problem embracing Bachar Houli and the "difference"he brings to the club . To me Alroy Gilligan was not good enough , Relton Roberts did not commit himself and it looks like neither has Troy taylor .
We put indigenous players in some basket together like they are all the same , they are not . The only thing many of them share with each other is the colour of their skin.
The issue is not the indigenous background , its the support structure that individual needs to thrive , his personality , his commitment and his talent . Its no different to finding the right environment for any player .
I am not comfortable with labelling RFC as a club that is not suited to indigenous players , we just need to pick the right players and if they are indigenous then deal with what complications that may or may not bring.

Sintiger said:
The facts are that Indigenous players are as different to each other as caucasian players are. Some players come from working class backgrounds , they come from interstate , some are comfortable at 18 in an elite sporting environment and some are not . Each player has to some extent have to be treated as an individual. Troy Taylor is no different except his needs may be greater . It seems to me that the club has done much to help Troy and I for one don't see some endemic problem with indigenous players at RFC . Richard Tambling spent 6 years at Richmond and is anyone aware that he had issues because he is indigenous ?
We need to pick the right players whether they be indigenous or not . We seem to have no problem embracing Bachar Houli and the "difference"he brings to the club . To me Alroy Gilligan was not good enough , Relton Roberts did not commit himself and it looks like neither has Troy taylor .
We put indigenous players in some basket together like they are all the same , they are not . The only thing many of them share with each other is the colour of their skin.
The issue is not the indigenous background , its the support structure that individual needs to thrive , his personality , his commitment and his talent . Its no different to finding the right environment for any player .
I am not comfortable with labelling RFC as a club that is not suited to indigenous players , we just need to pick the right players and if they are indigenous then deal with what complications that may or may not bring.

Exactly the point I was trying to make a while back on this thread. If they want to enough.......they will...................if they don't - they won't. Troy Taylor's attitude is not the fault of the club - it is the fault of the individual. Can't we ever get back to a time when someonel is responsible for their own actions ? Sheesh......................

jimbob said:
Exactly the point I was trying to make a while back on this thread. If they want to enough.......they will...................if they don't - they won't. Troy Taylor's attitude is not the fault of the club - it is the fault of the individual. Can't we ever get back to a time when someonel is responsible for their own actions ? Sheesh......................

Great post Sinful One.

Think we mostly are Jombib. Do you know that Taylor is saying he isn't responsible? Not feeling like you fit in, if that is an issue, is not uncommon when someone, indigineous or otherwise, undertakes a major change of culture, responsibilities and support. I'm just pleased the Club appears to be leaving no stone unturned and doing all it can.

With indigenous kids I wouldn't personally attach any blame to the club. They are not easy to work with especially ones with a difficult background like Troy. Melbourne got lucky with Aaron Davey who has been a rock of support for the other indigenous boys at the club. Aaron is a urban kid (non-community) with a strong Darwin footballing family.

In general if I was looking at recruiting Indigenous kids I would look at:
A lad from a strong and supportive family.
A good academic background.
A kid who has had some success in footballing 'down south'.

Sintiger said:

Great great post!... And your right on the money.. there have certainly been a lot of caucasian players who have brought a lot more trouble to their team than Troy Taylor has...
I really wish him good luck, and really hope it doesn't discourage Richmond (or any other team) from looking at putting time into indigenous players... I think with every year that goes by, AFL clubs will get better at, and more comfortable with taking on indigenous players from different backgrounds...

And really, anyone can have any number of problems... From the basic thing of the fact they can't play well enough to stay in the side, to drug use, gambling, low motivation, a toxic attitude to the team, doesn't fit in very well....

Good on Richmond for supporting Troy and giving him every shot at making his dream to play AFL football come true, and for continuing to support him when other issues in his life become more important than AFL.... I think AFL players sacrifice a lot anyway. But for him to travel basically to the other side of Australia at that young age, to a different culture, and then obviously have issues going on at home, you can't hold a grudge with the guy for that... Nor do I think judge future potential indigenous players on these issues....

We just need to be careful with recruiting (straight along the lines of what "Djevv" was saying) and look after these guys needs from day one to ensure we pick up on any issues, but also get better at helping the players deal with the issues arising from being so far from their families/relatives so they can feel more comfortable putting more of their life into our club...

Dizaster said:
We just need to be careful with recruiting (straight along the lines of what "Djevv" was saying) and look after these guys needs from day one to ensure we pick up on any issues, but also get better at helping the players deal with the issues arising from being so far from their families/relatives so they can feel more comfortable putting more of their life into our club...

Just because he can't handle the change from Darwin/Alice Springs/Broome to Melbourne.
Wanting the club to organise a home for him?
Next he'll expect the club to arrange board with some family in a Brighton mansion.

Djevv said:
In general if I was looking at recruiting Indigenous kids I would look at:
A lad from a strong and supportive family.
A good academic background.
A kid who has had some success in footballing 'down south'.

Well it should be said: taylor has made life significantly harder for any indigenous player who has been noticed by the justice system

Clubs will use the Taylor protocol 'he's good but no thanks'

and this isn't fair if the kid is properly committed.

Hopefully clubs will give these players opportunities vis the rooie list.

guys this is deviating a slight bit from the actual subject of troy taylor and is touching on some subjects that can be discussed on other boards within in the forum

Happy Posting :emblem

Phantom said:
Not blaming the RFC.

But clearly it is the RFC's problem.

A few of the Melbourne indigenous players live around the corner from me and often use the local oval to have a relaxed kick. They share a house that Melbourne organised for them and one of the fathers relocated to Melbourne to look after the boys.

Spoken to the father a few times, they all enjoy playing with Melbourne and wouldn't look elsewhere.
Melbourne have assisted by relocating some of the younger junior brothers of these players to play in the local junior competitions too.

That's the way Melbourne do it, everyone seems happy, and we can see that in the performances of Melbourne's indigenous players.

A good example is Austin Wonaeamirri.
Last season he was plagued by leg injury and he was gaining weight quickly.
Most would have thought him going out the back door.
Instead, Melbourne have him turned around, focused, and performing at senior level.

When the RFC can build a group such as Davey, Bennell, Jurrah, Jetta & Wonaeamirri, and have them performing as well as these, then the Tiges won't have a problem.

I'm only using Melbourne as an example I can personally connect with, but other clubs - Port, Carlton, Essendon, et al, seem to do it as well as the Dees.
Good post this.

I'm going to go back a bit on what I said about the club a few post ago re not blaming the club. I will reiterate what I said about indigenous kids being a tough gig, it is, with a high failure rate. What you are pointing out about Melbourne here, Phantom, is the extent to which you need to go to support such kids. The problem at RFC is that Taylor has no peers. No mates of similar background and age whom he can relate to. It would make it very tough for him to feel at home at the club. To retain Taylor and players like him requires thinking outside the box.

Personally if it were up to me I would try to place him in a situation like the above, even if he was with boys from another club. If the club is just thinking 'well, you treat him just like any other player', they are doomed to failure.

Ill say it again i gave a freindly warning about going off topic and where the discussion should be disscused i only deleted ones after the warning you could of said your responses and started it in the right board/thread i would of been more than happy to post the link for that thread and if you did not like they way someone responded to your responses or you were offended by it report it

Plain and simple it was going off topic i gave a freindly warning there was posts after this warning that were off topic so they were deleted

also if you dont like the way i have handle this take it up with Rosy

Happy Posting :emblem

Streak said:
Troy Taylor certainly seems to polarise opinions on here.

Actually I have never expressed an opinion one way or another about Troy Taylor. My contribution was about the stolen generation etc. For what it's worth I think he was worth a punt where we got him. The earlier picks you have to play the percentages more, the later ones you can afford to be a little speculative and gamble to get something special. It's a shame it didn't work out.

Please try and keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss indigenous issues in general there are boards specifically created for you to do that so please use them and keep the footy board for footy talk.

Further, if you disagree with moderating decisions please don't *smile* about it on the boards. If you feel you've been terribly aggrieved please contact rosy privately.

Given the way this has panned out the question on my mind is has another team been in his ear and trying to poach him. I hope richmond is playing this smart and is keeping their ear to the ground just in case these antics are an attempt to get to another club via a delisting.

If a player is willing to go along with those kind of tactics I'd say good riddance. Not made of the right stuff to wear the yellow and black anyway.

yandb said:
Given the way this has panned out the question on my mind is has another team been in his ear and trying to poach him. I hope richmond is playing this smart and is keeping their ear to the ground just in case these antics are an attempt to get to another club via a delisting.
l doubt if he has another team on his mind but if he does we can maybe do a trade even if it is for a late pick.The club has supported him in a big way & he's given nothing in return.Enough's enough.