Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

Bumped into a young fella at the bar from the Tiwi bombers who'd just kicked 6 against the Wanderers a few weeks back. Seemed like a nice bloke, could be our next recruit :spin

fastin bulbous said:
Bumped into a young fella at the bar from the Tiwi bombers who'd just kicked 6 against the Wanderers a few weeks back. Seemed like a nice bloke, could be our next recruit :spin

Without being rude, bumped into him in the "bar" and I gather he's aboriginal/Tiwi Islander, sorry pass.

tigerjoe12 said:
don't know about long list but there's definitely been a few now in recent times

krakouer
peterson
relton roberts
jon
taylor

that's a decent amount of talent. JON & taylor definitely the most dissappointing

Are we criticising the club for not being able to develop & retain indigenous boys - or our recruiting department?

Krakouer - was a good player for us - overlooked by all other clubs - including North who could have taken him father/son - is not in a Richmond jumper because he went to jail for 18 months & didn't fit where we are with our list at the moment by grooming young guys - so we didn't re-recruit him. Can understand that & wish him well
Peterson - drinking problems - not just with us - played up a fair bit - went to Hawthorn - had a crack at us in the media after his first couple of games for not doing enough for him - hit the grog again & Hawthorn gave him the flick - we did something wrong ? Don't think so.

Relton - was originally a rookie listed player I think. Was overweight & not prepared to give up the diet he was used to. Had some talent - was worth a punt where we picked him. I believe has since said he regretted not trying harder. He was also on the mature age side a bit - so how much time does the club spend on an older player who may have been set in his ways ? Was worth a punt.

JON - fine young man - who unfortunately wasn't up to it. Are we supposed to keep him on the list until retirement because he is indigenous ? He had a go at the club- didn't play up but wasn't of sufficient standard for AFL. Has he set the world on fire after a blare of trumpets sounded when he went to WC ? I don't think has cracked a game yet.Good luck to him

Tambling - another fine young man - who had a crack & who most on PRE never forgave for not being a better player than buddy Franklin.
Had a tremendous carnival prior to the draft & was highly fancied at the time. WE have received a compo pick that hopefully we will use to good effect at the right time. Good luck to him too.

Taylor - tremendous POTENTIAL. Supposedly would have gone top15-20 if he hadn't had issues. Slipped to 51 because of it. All agreed he had talent. We had a go & the boy walked out. He is young - unlike Relton - he may get another opportunity if he wants it. Was he a number 5 pick ? No - he wasn't. Was worth the selection on ability. By all accounts the club has tried to help him as much as possible & it hasn't worked.

I am not being critical of the club at all - the opportunities are there - & for those that wanted it - for different reasons they are no longer with us (Tambling,Krakouer,JON)- the rest - well - thems the breaks.

this thread may be quite different if 3-4 years time if we have 3-4 indigenous players who have settled in & are playing good footy.

I've got a blast from the past for you all:

Anyone remember Ashley Blurton who came to us from West Coast late nineties I think?

Another lost talent!

jimbob said:
Tambling - another fine young man - who had a crack & who most on PRE never forgave for not being a better player than buddy Franklin.

Rubbish. He was caned because he was a lazy footballer who never had a serious dip. Most Richmond supporters were well and truly willing to see past the Franklin comparison.

It's hard manage indigenous players. Just like many other areas over the years, Richmond just doesn't seem to know how to get it right.

Jon and tambling weren't developed correctly at all, let alone the fact that they where never good enough to be first round picks.

Taylor has no doubt pissed his career up the wall, but each case is different.

The names Mitchell and rioli are reasons why we should revamp our handling of indigenous players and not see it as taking a punt, because it will only be a punt if we keep on doing this.

theglove3 said:

Anyone remember Ashley Blurton who came to us from West Coast late nineties I think?

Another lost talent!

Hah, Ashley Blurton, there's a name I haven't heard for years and years. Whatever happened to him?

jimbob said:
Are we criticising the club for not being able to develop & retain indigenous boys - or our recruiting department?

I'm not personally, but you have to admit our record overall isn't great regardless of it's buts & maybes

theglove3 said:

Another lost talent!

I see your Ashley Blurton and raise you Marty McGrath, Lionel Proctor and Garth Taylor.

tigerjoe12 said:
don't know about long list but there's definitely been a few now in recent times

krakouer
peterson
relton roberts
jon
taylor

that's a decent amount of talent. JON & taylor definitely the most dissappointing

I know its been mentioned, but how did you miss Ritchie at the top of the list.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
how do you value a sh!t attitude as a gamble or risk and how many draft positions is that gamble/risk worth?

Hey

Could you just clarify what you mean. I don't fully understand what your asking.

Are you saying a player with great potential drops in value if there is a question mark on attitude? And how much does he drop?

In my point, I was saying no player should be drafted with a question mark over attitude. A kid can have all the talent in the world, but if he has a poor attitude, or has a poor background, or poor work ethic etc etc, I wouldn't take him. I know it is a hard one. I guess Dane Swan is a good example against this arguement at the moment. By Danes own admission, he was lazy in his early days, but of course look at him now he has matured, grown up, and worked out what is required to be a AFL player.

I guess I would rather have every kid on our list with a A1 attitude, even if slightly less rated than another player with a lesser attitude. As a building team, we just can't afford to waste draft picks. The kids we draft have to show potential, and not leave us after 12 months because he doesn't want to play. Some of the kids we draft will prove not to be good enough, so we can't waste picks. If we are to have to a list with depth in 5 years, we must get the right kids, with the best attitude.

Jack said:
I know its been mentioned, but how did you miss Ritchie at the top of the list.

unlike the others richie left us with a first & a third round pick. while he's a bit of a failure as a number four draft pick he left by choice but co-operated in a trade that helped us get some value in return

taylor, roberts, peterson & krakouer simply went home without as much as a goodbye (cept for krak, delisted as was going to jail). add gilligan to that list as well now that i think about it

& JON we took in the first round even though he was always considered speculative. is a good kid, just not a good footballer

This latest article is interesting: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-troy-taylor-unlikely-to-return-to-melbourne/story-e6frf9jf-1226042463557

He's just up there and he's doing nothing," Dudgeon said.

"I went up there (Darwin) and we had a few people speak to him, like Michael McLean and a couple of his uncles.

"He's been telling people that he's coming back, but he's still there.

"I tried to have a talk to him but he was just saying, 'I'm not going back Mum, they don't do what they're supposed to do for me.

" 'I want a house ... they haven't helped me and how many times do I have to ask them?' "

It is well known Taylor has suffered home sickness in Melbourne without his siblings and he is staying with his older brother in Darwin. But he, too, is urging Taylor to get back to Punt Rd.

"Everyone is trying to get him back, but he has to make that move," Dudgeon said. "I still think he can still come back."

Not listening to his family, demanding stuff from Richmond who have helped with his legal issues. Good riddance. Kid sounds like a real rotten egg. Will probably end up in jail soon enough.