Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

thejinx said:
So why does he keep going back? Wouldn't he be glad that he has an opportunity to get himself, and his family out of that region with the money he's getting at Richmond?

IMO - just a weak minded individual with no discipline or ability to tough things out. Do you know of any other Aboriginal players that continually desert their clubs?

Weak minded does not come into it for me, as I said before I applaud anyone who can survive growing up black in a racist town like Alice. If you just look at the surface you see nothing. It's a mad place. I have a friend from there who was on an AFL list and gave it up. I've also seen many talented (in many ways) young Aboriginal people find it extremely difficult to adjust to the structures of western culture. It's really up to you on how you want to define or look at "deserting the club" I'm sure Troy's first loyalty is to his family and who knows what issues they are facing.

Panthera Tigris said:
Pretty sure he's actually a Darwin boy Rosie (and Fastin). So the story goes, he moved to Alice later in his teen years - after spending a bit of time in the little boys slammer - to get away from undesirable influences.
Apologies all. The press I've always heard is that he's been returning to Alice. But anyway his formative years would have been there

Pretty sure he's actually a Darwin boy Rosie (and Fastin). So the story goes, he moved to Alice later in his teen years - after spending a bit of time in the little boys slammer - to get away from undesirable influences in Darwin.

Whether he grew up in Darwin itself or some locality around Darwin, or any other intimate details of his life and upbringing....buggered if I know :-\. And I reckon that goes for everyone on here whether you're a self proclaimed 'bleeding heart' with arguments supporting Troy or one of those making harsh uninformed judgements, neither of you know any more than the rest of us.

Those who know Troy personally are an excused of course ;).

fastin bulbous said:
Apologies all. The press I've always heard is that he's been returning to Alice. But anyway his formative years would have been there

Not to say he doesn't have family/friends in and around both Darwin and Alice. Like most of us probably has family/friends spread all over the place.

fastin bulbous said:
Weak minded does not come into it for me, as I said before I applaud anyone who can survive growing up black in a racist town like Alice. If you just look at the surface you see nothing. It's a mad place. I have a friend from there who was on an AFL list and gave it up. I've also seen many talented (in many ways) young Aboriginal people find it extremely difficult to adjust to the structures of western culture. It's really up to you on how you want to define or look at "deserting the club" I'm sure Troy's first loyalty is to his family and who knows what issues they are facing.

Bulbous you have got me.

Why do (some people) they feel they can ruin talent when they (should) have no right to ?

If this bloke genuinely deserves support I will give it to him, but it's hard to give it, mixed up in all sorts of unknown side issues.

ALL WE KNOW AT PRESENT IS HE IS ....................... HOMESICK !!!! ffs that doesn't quite cut the mustard, does it ?

Home sick ?? repeat it 10 times ..................... home SICK.......... :headscratch

EDITED - please don't avoid the swear filter

Maybe home sick is a different world of issues to him. I don't want to disrespect Troy by speaking for him. My view is that those two words are extremely different for Aboriginal people as opposed to perhaps you and me.

I delivered training for 8 very dedicated Aboriginal people a couple of weeks ago. 3 didn't turn up as family members had passed away. Throw that in the homesickness bag and it looks really different

fastin bulbous said:
Maybe home sick is a different world of issues to him. I don't want to disrespect Troy by speaking for him. My view is that those two words are extremely different for Aboriginal people as opposed to perhaps you and me.

Good points FB, most of us have little idea the challenges many indigenous boys face. Would like to see more shows such as 3 boys dreaming to help give us a better idea.

I don't underestimate the challenge many non-indigenous children face either but hard to judge others from completely different cultures and upbringings

Take the race out of this argument and TT is just another talented kid that wasted his opportunities
Just because he is aboriginal and grew up in an aboriginal lifestyle is no excuse for his actions both at the club and before he got there. The kid is flawed like many others black and white, he unlike many others had opportunities and was taken care of because of his football ability - he has chosen to turn his back on the opportunity AGAIN and should be let go and forgotten about, dont waste anymore time on a kid that had potential that hasn't delivered at afl level.

There are plenty of kids in our country that have bad starts in life and growing up in cultures less afluent than a lot of others, albeit in a different culture. Some of those make it with less opportunity than he has been gifted, some others don't.... But because he is indiginous he is getting the attention, special treatment and bleeding hearts?

I am not racist and couldn't care about someones race or nationality, there are kids that have been given far less in life than TT and made more of their opportunity, in fact TT has let down his people and his culture for not making more of the chances he was given.

fastin bulbous said:
(Hard job growing up without a dad, hard job growing up in Alice. I think the club is right to give him time. Has anyone one of you posters ever been to a community in the Territory? If you've even looked at a town camp in Alice, they are horrendous, hell on earth would be a good way of describing them. Alice is a shocker. Growing up there would be a rough ride. Growing up Aboriginal in most places would mess with anyone. I understand not all of us have a sympathy for these conditions and focus purely on the footy. Me, well I am definitely a bleeding heart, softy for these things. I salute anyone who can even survive with so much dysfunction, racism etc in their world. It's a massive challenge for Troy, but i'd have him on the list any day on talent alone. Once he starts to trust the club, watch out.
)

i like what you have to say mr bulbious, and fully agree with your view....(anyone who takes their name from a captain beefheart song deserves respect :clap)....
Life for some kids is easy,life for others is tough....
some are born to endless delight,others to endless night..
.some kids are born into dysfunctional surroundings and its tough for them.they deserve some understanding and support,
i know someone who has chronic depression and her family JUST say "get over it,whats your problem"..reminds me of some of the comments on here regarding troy..he is just a kid,god knows whats gone on in his life>
Im happy for the club to support him...besides he could turn out to be a killer footballer for us

fastin bulbous said:
I delivered training for 8 very dedicated Aboriginal people a couple of weeks ago. 3 didn't turn up as family members had passed away. Throw that in the homesickness bag and it looks really different

Buddy, mate, Pal .................. no problem at all with that ............. but all we have been told is HOME SICKNESS. He is leaving himself open to misunderstanding otherwise. If I am treading on sensitivities without knowing it please forgive me.

Tango said:
But because he is indiginous he is getting the attention, special treatment and bleeding hearts?

I am not racist and couldn't care about someones race or nationality, there are kids that have been given far less in life than TT and made more of their opportunity, in fact TT has let down his people and his culture for not making more of the chances he was given.

Yes, my heart bleeds for what i've seen every day out bush. But if you want to have an understanding (which maybe you don't and thats ok) you may want to have a look at where he comes from. I doubt any Indigenous player would have a dig at Troy. To say he's let "his people and culture down" shows a real lack of understanding of what his culture may be. Me, I'm stating my personal opinion and thats all.

Dear Tango,

Neither you or I can understand how hard it is to grow up in very poor surroundings with no support. Family is very important to aboriginal people, and the boredom of Alice Springs and the entrenched racism in the place would not have made it easy.

Troy is a young man growing up. Plenty of people fall by the wayside growing up, Troy is in a pressure situation. Let the kid get it sorted. He is making choices and until we delist him we have to support him.

Red Sea Tiger said:
Buddy, mate, Pal .................. no problem at all with that ............. but all we have been told is HOME SICKNESS. He is leaving himself open to misunderstanding otherwise. If I am treading on sensitivities without knowing it please forgive me.
You're right, we're here to talk aren't we?

fastin bulbous said:
You're right, we're here to talk aren't we?

Yes, absolutely.

Troy has THE opportunity to MAKE a DIFFERENCE it seems. If not, I hold no grudge and wish him well but if this is an exercise in trying to create an avenue back, undeserving, then I take issue with that, period ! What message would the send out to the MANY who were TRULY deserving ?

I'm lost.

fastin bulbous said:
Yes, my heart bleeds for what i've seen every day out bush. But if you want to have an understanding (which maybe you don't and thats ok) you may want to have a look at where he comes from. I doubt any Indigenous player would have a dig at Troy. To say he's let "his people and culture down" shows a real lack of understanding of what his culture may be. Me, I'm stating my personal opinion and thats all.

My sister works as a police officer in the NT and has worked at remote places such as Port Keats. Some of the stories I hear are worse than tragic. We hear about 1% of the trouble down here, I'm amazed more stories aren't reported although I understand it would probably do no favours to aboriginal people in general for some things to be reported. She tells some uplifting stories as well but for most kids just getting a decent meal is a challenge let alone things most of us take for granted - a bed, a stable home, an education, an opportunity to be involved in team activities and sports, strong role models etc.

Red Sea Tiger said:
Yes, absolutely.

Troy has THE opportunity to MAKE a DIFFERENCE it seems.

Maybe you need to ask what difference and for who. Really. If Fastin was wearing the number 12 for the Tiges would anyone ask me to make a difference for white people?

And geez, When I was 19 Troy would have had a rival for strange behavior

Big Cat Lover said:
My sister works as a police officer in the NT and has worked at remote places such as Port Keats. Some of the stories I hear are worse than tragic. We hear about 1% of the trouble down here, I'm amazed more stories aren't reported although I understand it would probably do no favours to aboriginal people in general for some things to be reported. She tells some uplifting stories as well but for most kids just getting a decent meal is a challenge let alone things most of us take for granted - a bed, a stable home, an education, an opportunity to be involved in team activities and sports, strong role models etc.

I'm with ya cat lover

fastin bulbous said:
Maybe you need to ask what difference and for who. Really. If Fastin was wearing the number 12 for the Tiges would anyone ask me to make a difference for white people?

Let's not make this more than it is Buli, or put words in others mouths.

Troy clearly has the chance to make a difference, period ! For whom, as you point out, well that's for HIM to decide ! (He might not like it, but it comes with the territory). Tough spot for Troy it seems, but I am absolutely certain, none of his actions is my doing. All I am trying to do, is understand it. Better than couldn't care less, yes (no need to reply as that's rhetorical) ?

A story about home sickness....
I arrived in Australia in 1990 from Holland and have loved this country since day one.
All my family is still in Holland and NO I have never been homesick.
When my nephew (from Holland) turned 18 I bought him a ticket to come and live here for upto a year.
I even found him a job through some business contacts, before he even arrived.
Even with all the support he got from me and my family, a job, camping trips, beach trips, and more he lasted 20 (twenty) summer days.
He really missed his mates and that's who he wanted to be with and I could not change his mind.
As a last resort, we tried to get him on a bus trip to Queensland, but no, not interested.
He booked his return trip and that was it. Gone after 20 days, what a waste of an opportunity.

I guess something like that is happening to our Troy.
Give him some time....