Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Fair comment and I wasn't having a go at you. Whether it's accurate or not, there is a perception held by some among the footy public that it's a weakness of Hardwick's. I don't purport to know the truth.

Mitchell was 25 (and Rioli nearly 25) by the time they got to Punt Rd. Apart from lacking VFL experience, they were fully-fledged senior players on arrival. Justin Murphy had immense talent; he destroyed Gavin Wanganeen in a losing side on debut.

Yes, in the absence of any meaningful information, people will fill in the blanks and believe what they want.
Good balanced replies , thanks .
Actually I forgot Rioli , how could I do that ? Murphy never really settled anywhere did he , how many clubs , was it 4 ?
To me the difference between the background of Cyril Rioli and Troy taylor is instructive. Troy came from a broken disadvantaged home , never really knew his father , got into trouble etc etc . Cyril came from a background of AFL players and spent 2 years in melbourne at Scotch College . The only thing they have in common is the colour of their skin but their will be some who will take this as evidence that hawthorn can develop indigenous talent and richmond can't .
I guess thats what i am trying to say .

This is a real shame. Such a waste. Can only imagine he is trying the patience of the club and probably already once too often. So much for the feelgood stories about TT a few weeks ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed he returns, but my hopes low.

Good luck to the kid.Some can handle the pressures that come along with being on an AFL list and some can,t.He may regret it down the track or he may not.

Sintiger said:
Good balanced replies , thanks .
Actually I forgot Rioli , how could I do that ? Murphy never really settled anywhere did he , how many clubs , was it 4 ?
To me the difference between the background of Cyril Rioli and Troy taylor is instructive. Troy came from a broken disadvantaged home , never really knew his father , got into trouble etc etc . Cyril came from a background of AFL players and spent 2 years in melbourne at Scotch College . The only thing they have in common is the colour of their skin but their will be some who will take this as evidence that hawthorn can develop indigenous talent and richmond can't .
I guess thats what i am trying to say .

Yes, your argument that the Aboriginal boys should be viewed as individuals and not grouped together due to race is a good one.

Even viewing it as coincidence, it seems odd in this era when indigenous players make up 10-12% of AFL lists that we haven't been fortunate enough to draft one with a workable mix of ability/temperament/work ethic. Krakouer's 100+ games was a significant achievement, but he looked to have run his race when he departed. It remains to be seen whether he has truly been reborn as a footballer away from Richmond, as the media would have us believe.

Leysy Days said:
Thats is pretty big "Just" there Scoop Dog.

Huge. But wouldn't pull the pin and discard him in April.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. For a pick 51 he was worth the gamble.

Still is. This story isn't over yet.

SCOOP said:
Huge. But wouldn't pull the pin and discard him in April.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. For a pick 51 he was worth the gamble.

Still is. This story isn't over yet.

Agree Scoop. Seems a lot prepared to discard him; far too early IMO.

I really wanted him to be named last week because it was pretty clear he had some big issues and I thought experiencing a big crowd atmosphere and maybe snagging a couple may have really allowed him to experience what his future could hold. I'm probably clutching at straws but I wondered if not getting a game ahead of Helbig in the forward half just set him off and he just cracked it and thought this is all bs...not worth it.... never going to make it... favoritism... not fitting in with the other boys at the club (the group partying together) blah, blah, blah...

Obviously either mentally weak or maybe his head is just a mess due to his past but something must have happened in the last week for him to suddenly just leave.

I'm sad for him, disappointed for the club and the supporters because this kid could have been something special for us. The fact is he is young enough to go home for an extended period and play local footy and if he wants to come back in the future he probably easily could via a VFL team but doubt we will get to enjoy his talent at the Tiges. 190cm+ excitement machines who can mark and run like him don't just grow on trees.

Good luck to him whatever he does. I hope like hell he doesn't make one bad choice while on the turps catching up with his old mates in the next few weeks because his life is hanging by a thread.

Leysy Days said:
Give it up boys.
Yep. Not the first or the last kid to have the talent but not the mental strength to play the game at the highest level.

Time to move on.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Read the post, it was a response to the one I quoted. I don't have any issues with Hardwick. I do have issues with our ongoing failure to develop indigenous talent.

as someone on here rightly said, there are 400 kids who would giv their left arm to play footy. Im sure there are 50 better than Troy Taylor.
If we cant develop indigneous talent, who cares - move on. I say: focus on kids that dont bring baggage who want to play footy.

Out of the 680 + players in the comp, there are only a handful of standout indigenous players. Why pile money, time and resources into a fraction of the talent pool, when we have proven time and again we are no good at it.
RFC - move on from trying to find the next Maurice Rioli and focus on what you are good at.

doherz said:
as someone on here rightly said, there are 400 kids who would giv their left arm to play footy. Im sure there are 50 better than Troy Taylor.
If we cant develop indigneous talent, who cares - move on. I say: focus on kids that dont bring baggage who want to play footy.

Out of the 680 + players in the comp, there are only a handful of standout indigenous players. Why pile money, time and resources into a fraction of the talent pool, when we have proven time and again we are no good at it.
RFC - move on from trying to find the next Maurice Rioli and focus on what you are good at.

But you see this kid is meant to have more skill and talent than any other kid out there, or so his Player Manager says ::)

As an impressionable and vulnerable young man, I feel for him.

The club runs a risk in being too touchy feely on this one as it might send a message out to all the playing group that you can walk out on the club without notice and it will continue to hold your hand without consequence. Yes, it's important to help out and be understanding but surely ther has to be a point where enough is enough.

This is presenting a questionable example for other possible "speculative" recruits, in fact this (along with all the other failed selections) will be making it worse for all those future "other kids with talent" hoping for that dream to come their way. The less public air time this whole saga gets, the better imho.

So far, the only compelling issue he seems to have raised is homesickness.

Selection critieria needs to be tightened.

Red Sea Tiger said:
The club runs a risk in being too touchy feely on this one as it might send a message out to all the playing group that you can walk out on the club without notice and it will continue to hold your hand without consequence. Yes, it's important to help out and be understanding but surely ther has to be a point where enough is enough.

Think you could line up 50 people and get 40 different ways of handling it. He's not really a traditional grassroots system player - sure from a football background, but NT to Vic is about as close to being another country as you'll get. I'd hope if the new Irish guy has as much talent he might get the same patience.

Was there an issue of Taylor not being included in or invited to a player gathering or event? Just seen that alluded to a couple of times.

scooty said:
will be at collingwood in 2012

Have heard that a few times actually.

If this happens and his current issues are somehow related to Collingwood being in his ear, then he can get stuffed and will be the centre of abuse from RFC supporters for the rest of his career.

In saying that, it's probably not correct anyway.

BrisTiger24 said:
Have heard that a few times actually.

If this happens and his current issues are somehow related to Collingwood being in his ear, then he can get stuffed and will be the centre of abuse from RFC supporters for the rest of his career.

In saying that, it's probably not correct anyway.

Can we trade him for Krak?