Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

Been looking for this posting for a while now since it quotes Francis Jackson talking about how drafting Taylor was possible because Richmond had the resources in place to deal with his problems.

scottyturnerscurse said:
Like everyone, the Tigers had done their research. Like every club, they had been emailed the list of basic probation conditions that Troy's manager Jason Dover had worked hard with the Northern Territory Department of Justice, the AFL and the Players Association to draw up, so that he could transfer interstate. They'd taken time to wonder whether they would be a good fit for Troy, too.

Francis Jackson, the Richmond recruiting manager, has no doubt some clubs were put off by Troy's past. He believes that three or four years ago, the Tigers would not have been in a position to offer Taylor both the on and off-field support he knows he will need to settle in and become what he is capable of. But in calling his name, he had no doubt Punt Road would be a place where he could thrive. ''There was no question on his footy ability. He doesn't fully understand the requirements of professional footy yet and patience will be a virtue, but I think we're in a far better position to give Troy the support and development he needs than we would have a few years ago,'' said Jackson, pointing out that when he started at Richmond three and a half years ago, the club had no fully-devoted welfare or development staff.

Now, there are four. ''I think we're far better resourced in that area now, and we're in a good position to give Troy the help he needs not just to succeed in footy, but with every other part of his life,'' Jackson said. ''He'll do the AFLPA traineeship, but we've talked about him continuing his education and through our indigenous centre we think there will be some opportunities for Troy to be involved in some indigenous community stuff here at the club, which is another positive. He'll have a good role model in Richard Tambling and, of course, we needed to take everything into account when we drafted him. Everyone deserves a chance. It's going to take him some time to understand what professional footy is - I'm sure he doesn't understand that yet - but he's a very talented player and we're willing to put a lot of effort into making sure that we bring that talent out.''

Notable of course that this was before Tambling, Roberts and Gilligan were lost and Krakouer returned to AFL with Collingwood.
The other point I find interesting is delisting Peterson after one year and then drafting Collard, who had been delisted early by another club.
After six or seven players maybe we have a problem within the organisation?

GoodOne said:
Maybe we're just recruiting the wrong aboriginal players. Maybe we need to spend more time on mental aptitude when making our selections. Personally I doubt Roberts or Gilligan would make it anyway, they were very speculative selections, no different to most of the rookie draft picks who don't make it. Other than that I think our lack of success with Aboriginals has been our lack or recruiting of Aborignals. You can't be successful if you hardly recruit any. It's a percentage game.

EXACTLY!.

We'll scrutinize all other players, mentally & physically, from all ethnic backgrounds, yet we too quickly fall in love, solely, with the obvious exciting skills of Aboriginal players.

Talent and skill is nothing long term unless the head is in control.

Wake up Richmond.

We put more effort in planning Indigenous Centres without putting the planning into the correct Indigenous players who will play long term AFL Senior Football.

No more head cases at Richmond.

Is it that hard to pick a well rounded Indigenous future AFL Player? Other clubs are doing it!

Colonel said:
I don't think the calls for his delisting are fair

We don't know the story yet, the kid has a lot of talent and i hope he can work out his troubles and play football for the Richmond Football Club
Good point Colonel,why don't we just let him come & go as he pleases.

mb64 said:
Your probably right,time to end his Richmond story & delist now.

Why delist now? we get nothing for him and can't replace his spot on the list.

He was always a speculative pick and the club admitted as much. I haven't given up on him based on the little info that we know.

year of the tiger said:
Why delist now? we get nothing for him and can't replace his spot on the list.

He was always a speculative pick and the club admitted as much. I haven't given up on him based on the little info that we know.

No point delisting him now. I am sure all Tigers, both supporter and management, are very disappointed with Taylor and the timing of him going AWOL. Was always that risk though, as his history already precedes him. All the Tgiers can do is support him as mich as possible and hope he gets his head right. History would suggest the chances are very unlikely.

Just Great. The curse of the RFC continues :veryupset

Troy needs to have a good hard look at himself. If it wasn't for him being part of an AFL team, there's a fair chance he would be sitting in a Prison cell right now!

We may as well cut our losses now. He may come back, but what happens the next time things get tough? AWOL again?

such a waste

mb64 said:
Good point Colonel,why don't we just let him come & go as he pleases.

Nah your right mate we should delist him on your say so without knowing all the facts and to no benefit whatsoever for the club at this point in time

Colonel said:
Nah your right mate we should delist him on your say so without knowing all the facts and to no benefit whatsoever for the club at this point in time
ln his limited time with us he was charged with assault,went home before xmas,we were then told he's raring to go & now he's gone home again.Wake up & smell the roses Colonel.

GoodOne said:
No point delisting him now. I am sure all Tigers, both supporter and management, are very disappointed with Taylor and the timing of him going AWOL. Was always that risk though, as his history already precedes him. All the Tgiers can do is support him as mich as possible and hope he gets his head right. History would suggest the chances are very unlikely.

Spot on Goody - you catch more flies with honey than a stick............... Disappointing, but he's probably still fairly confused and easily influenced - his upbringing indicates that. Hopeful some of his successful mentors from his background can get in his ear and keep reminding what he's potentially giving up and while he still has choices make good ones (no pun intended).

checkside said:
So...does him leaving affect his parole?
That is a very good question, would be very interested to know this as well.
I am all for taking a risk on some players, yet we seem to have some major difficulty in picking indigenous players in the past few years. Not sure if it is the club that is making the mistake of continually finding the wrong talent, or the fact that we have just been very unlucky with who we have picked. In my opinion , if he doesn't commit fully to the Tigers by half way through the year, we definitely need to cut our losses & give someone else a chance in the second half of the year.

Scribblar said:
EXACTLY!.

We'll scrutinize all other players, mentally & physically, from all ethnic backgrounds, yet we too quickly fall in love, solely, with the obvious exciting skills of Aboriginal players.

Talent and skill is nothing long term unless the head is in control.

Wake up Richmond.

We put more effort in planning Indigenous Centres without putting the planning into the correct Indigenous players who will play long term AFL Senior Football.

No more head cases at Richmond.

Is it that hard to pick a well rounded Indigenous future AFL Player? Other clubs are doing it!

Man does this over-simplify things. The doco a while ago about the indigenous boys that was aired on the ABC was quite eye-opening. Chris Yarran - from a discipline and hard work perspective - did everything wrong. But his skills were on show whenever he played. Looking at it simply no-one would have believed you'd make an AFL player out him (and the jury may still be out) but he went at 6 (I think) in the PSD. He has some issues off the field (so I'm told) but he is still getting into the Blues 22. You just can't say who is going to make it. And that goes double for indigenous players...or so it seems. There was a kid who looked the business during the filming of the doco who just went to pieces towards the end finished up in a very dark place.

My point is to highlight the Tiger decision as though these things can be broken down into some kind of simple equation that the Tigers are getting wrong is off the mark. They punted....did the right thing at the time. Yes they were willing to take a hit if it went south, and they stuck fast longer than some clubs would have, but that is how the game works. It is risk. You use your rookie list to mitigate the risk. You get some wrong. Whether they got this one wrong, or just got the timing wrong, is still an open question if you ask me.

theglove3 said:
The new indigenous centre there, what is it's purpose?

I think it's safe to say whatever it is, it has failed (in Dimma speak) in biblical proportions!

It`s purpose certainly isn`t for helping the Richmond Football Club and it`s Indigenous players (and even if it was it hasn`t even opened yet so you can hardly say it`s failed)

It`s for young Indigenous people to come and spend some time there learning life skills.

Now some of our young Indigenous blokes may gain something from it and be involved in it in some way but our players are already living a relatively privileged life by being a professional sportsmen and having a Professional Football club and all it`s resources and help behind them.

The thousands of Indigenous kids that will come and spend time there don`t have these priveleges so it is quite rightly being built for them.

Recruiting Taylor was aways a massive gamble.
Can anyone name one player in the past 10 or 20 years that has been recruited by an AFL club who had already been to Jail?

Maybe he just doesn`t want to play AFL footy,there`s nothing wrong with that.

michael roach said:
It`s purpose certainly isn`t for helping the Richmond Football Club and it`s Indigenous players (and even if it was it hasn`t even opened yet so you can hardly say it`s failed)

It`s for young Indigenous people to come and spend some time there learning life skills.

Now some of our young Indigenous blokes may gain something from it and be involved in it in some way but our players are already living a relatively privileged life by being a professional sportsmen and having a Professional Football club and all it`s resources and help behind them.

The thousands of Indigenous kids that will come and spend time there don`t have these priveleges so it is quite rightly being built for them.

Can anyone name one player in the past 10 or 20 years that has been recruited by an AFL club who had already been to Jail?

Great post. I agree completely about the Indigenous centre.
On the jail thing, only Krakour comes to mind.

michael roach said:

Good post. I doubt most would know it's purpose.

michael roach said:

If, and it's a big if, this teenager took advantage of the club to keep him out of prison with no intention of really being serious about playing AFL then that's clearly a problem.

Like I say, it's a big if, and he may have realised he really didn't want to play AFL "after" he got here, but without knowing the facts he leaves himself open to speculation. People might think he deserves sympathy when he doesn't and vice versa.

If, as someone said earlier, that he was known to be disruptive with players around him then it's very hard to be sympathetic. He sounds selfish, but then what would I know from here, could be very wrong.

Personally, I never saw any of the so called Upside or X factor so trusted other peoples opinion. What I have noticed though is Downside and a Distraction factor, for a club that is on the cusp of turning itself around.

No favours RFC !

Colonel said:
I don't think the calls for his delisting are fair

We don't know the story yet, the kid has a lot of talent and i hope he can work out his troubles and play football for the Richmond Football Club

I have a friend who has some issues can the club help him out?