Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

frawleyudud said:
You gotta wonder how Melbourne have been able to do it with Jurrah and Austin. Really worried about the way the club seems to handle these types of situations. Could this be one of the reasons Dimma never got the job down at Bomberland due to his negative approach to the aboriginal players??

Definitely a player we could really do with. Struggling to remember the last quality aboriginal player on our list since Maurice and Mitchell.

I don't recall any behavioural problems with Jurrah and Auston before they were drafted. Taylor always had issues. I raise the point again about the club using it's limited resources on speculative prospects. I would rather a less talented individual who actually wants to play AFL.

On a slightly lighter note. The Dreamtime game is going to be a bit awkward this year...

frawleyudud said:
You gotta wonder how Melbourne have been able to do it with Jurrah and Austin. Really worried about the way the club seems to handle these types of situations. Could this be one of the reasons Dimma never got the job down at Bomberland due to his negative approach to the aboriginal players??
It could have something to do with the fact that every human being is different.

Honestly please stop stereotyping indigenous players . They can be as different to each other as Trent Cotchin is to Brendan Fevola. Troy Taylor is not Liam Jurrah.

Noone here has any idea what the issue is , whether the Club has handled it badly or well , or what the coach's relationship is with Troy . Why would you think he has a negative approach to indigenous players ? You have no idea whether he has or he hasn't .

"He will spend this time away from the club and make a decision on whether he wants to continue his AFL career."

Hang on didn't he do that over summer? The decision is no longer his it should be the clubs and the club should now say enough is enough. The club stuck by him when he got into trouble and it was the fact he was a listed AFL footballer that kept him out of gaol then the club stuck by him over summer when he went away and had to decide whether he wanted to continue his career now we have to again.

Sorry but he should be told he comes back now or he stays in NT forever and his career at least at Richmond is over. No waiting no other options.

Must be delisted now, enough is enough.
How many chances does a person want or need in life.
Sick of this SH##@!!
Next.....

evo said:
I would say the same thing if it was say Connors or Edwards. We have already invested quite a lot in him. I realise it is disapointing that yet another aboriginal pick seems to be going awry but lets not be hasty - we don't even know why he has taken a leave of absence yet.
Possibly. Maybe he has had a mini nervous breakdown or something. Who knows.

All I'm saying is there is no rush to immediately delist him. Clearly he has talent. What's the rush?

Agree with all of this. What is the point of delisting him now? Under AFL rules his name will sit on the list until October anyway. Who knows what the next six months will bring? He may even be tradeable at year's end, esp if someone figures out that he probably needs a few mates around him, which we can't give him at this stage.

Why take a drastic step when you don't need to?

TigerFurious said:
I don't recall any behavioural problems with Jurrah and Auston before they were drafted. Taylor always had issues. I raise the point again about the club using it's limited resources on speculative prospects. I would rather a less talented individual who actually wants to play AFL.

Agreed. In life, when presented with an opportunity, you take it with both hands. Most in life will not get that same opportunity twice, let alone for many once. Taylor has gone off the rails once, now twice, this time 1 round into the season. As a club we can ill afford to waste resources and a list spot on someone who clearly cannot sort out their priorities. And I am not saying this as a bad thing towards Taylor, we all have our issues and dilemmas and we all handle them differently. To me, it takes a certain mentality to make it to and succeed at AFL level.

Cut our losses and move on, it's about the team, not the individual.

Trouble with his going and coming is his fitness base. It takes continous effort over 2 to 3 preseasons to build up to what is required. Interrupt that process and you will fall behind. I can't see him getting back mentally.

Hope this disappointing turn of evens in no way deters our recruiters from taking chances on long shots in the future.

I'm saddened to hear that TT is 'on leave' again, and certainly hope he gets his life together, but let's not put up the shutters in these types of list decisions.

It's clear the kid has the X factor and a ton of talent and was in my mind well worth the risk - especially at pick 51.

In a 17-18-team competition, naturally talent pool depth is and will be worse than ever, and if we can have a win with a few of these types of picks, it'll pay off in spades.

Maybe it's also time we assessed how we mentor and nurture indigenous kids who arrive at Punt Road?

Granted it might be a combination of unrelated factors that have caused the derailment, or at best the average output, of virtually every Aboriginal player we've had in the recent past, but regardless, a look at where we can improve player management could only be a good thing.

Maybe we need to ask Melbourne how they tackle it, or maybe Sydney, or Carlscum?

Well, maybe not the Sacrebleus...

Good luck Troy, hope you get things back on track soon.

if the boy doesnt want to play he doesnt want to play, pity he or the club didnt have the balls to make this decision 4 months ago. Let him go.

Without knowing what the issues are i can only hope that Troy is able to sort them out and comes back 110% commited. Good luck Troy

Sintiger said:
It could have something to do with the fact that every human being is different.

Honestly please stop stereotyping indigenous players . They can be as different to each other as Trent Cotchin is to Brendan Fevola. Troy Taylor is not Liam Jurrah.

Noone here has any idea what the issue is , whether the Club has handled it badly or well , or what the coach's relationship is with Troy . Why would you think he has a negative approach to indigenous players ? You have no idea whether he has or he hasn't .

I never said he has a negative approach or that i knew he did. I basically made note of a rumour that went around when he didn't get the job at Essendon that one of the main reasons being his lack of effort in understanding the mentality of aboriginal players. While all walks of life are different, there is no doubt that most aboriginal players coming from rural areas do find it very hard to adjust to city life and the demands of an AFL footballer. My point is why can other clubs succeed and develop these players when we seem to really struggle.

Roberts
Gilligan
Taylor
Tambling

TT has significant issues that extend beyond family problems that prevented many other clubs taking him, and the fact that he is indigenous is purely incidental.

Recruiting him was a gamble - high risk, but with big upside. At the moment it seems it won't pay off. However I think there is always room for one or two such gambles on a list.

frawleyudud said:
I never said he has a negative approach or that i knew he did. I basically made note of a rumour that went around when he didn't get the job at Essendon that one of the main reasons being his lack of effort in understanding the mentality of aboriginal players. While all walks of life are different, there is no doubt that most aboriginal players coming from rural areas do find it very hard to adjust to city life and the demands of an AFL footballer. My point is why can other clubs succeed and develop these players when we seem to really struggle.

Roberts
Gilligan
Taylor
Tambling

Maybe we're just recruiting the wrong aboriginal players. Maybe we need to spend more time on mental aptitude when making our selections. Personally I doubt Roberts or Gilligan would make it anyway, they were very speculative selections, no different to most of the rookie draft picks who don't make it. Other than that I think our lack of success with Aboriginals has been our lack or recruiting of Aborignals. You can't be successful if you hardly recruit any. It's a percentage game.

Can we put him on the long term injury list? I know he dosent have a phsysical injury but you could argue he should be elegible. If we could put him on the LTI that would be good, give him 8 weeks to come back and if he dosent hes gone.

Can we get him on to the long term injured list so Pat Contin or someone else can be elevated before Round 12 (gmta, Checkside)

Jurrah is a trainee elder, I'd almost expect his mindset to be right to play the game at the highest level

Thankfully a lower pick wasn't wasted, good luck with sorting it all out, Troy, don't end up chopping us up at another club

Without knowing the facts, it's hard to know exactly what to say. My gut says one thing but my head says another. Clearly, this ain't good for anyone directly involved.

checkside said:
Can we put him on the long term injury list? I know he dosent have a phsysical injury but you could argue he should be elegible. If we could put him on the LTI that would be good, give him 8 weeks to come back and if he dosent hes gone.

If there is mechanism for this it would be ideal. I don't believe this is time to cut our losses. It would be a very bad look for the club to have opened the Indigenous Centre and then cast aside a young man with issues. I hope we navigate this well and with the best interests of both the club and TT at front of mind.

checkside said:

No we can't. Going AWOL is not considered a LTI.