Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

TigerMasochist said:
Not to sure that it was just the fact of noticing the kid was aboriginal that Tyger was atoning to Rosy.
Most people would notice someone of different colour, size or shape wandering around, it's more the older school automatic thought process that goes along with someone noticing another person that doesn't fit the norm, specially the drunken thieving useless black fella stereo type that went around less than half a lifetime ago.
Neon Leon did an article in the papers a few years back about how he hated that every time he went shopping or spent some time browsing people would look at him as if they were waiting for him to start stealing stuff just because he was an Abo ( pardon the derogatory abrieviation).

Most people nowadays wouldn't much give a stuff about the race, colour of people but many of those from the minorities that have been hammered over the years would still be very sensitive about people perceiving them as less than the rest or noticing them for no reason.

I am taking the comment at face value, not trying to put my own interpreatation on it.  It said  "He dressed like an inner city teenager, talked like one, wore Nick Cave t-shirt  etc - but the first thing most people saw was that he was Aboriginal."  If you want to guess at how the person felt you're welcome to.  I wouldn't have a clue.

For your Leon Davis I'll raise you a Nicky Winmar.

21976.jpg

We're all individuals and we all react to situations differently. 

Edit-People were probably worried Leon Davis was going to shoplift...not cos of his race but because he was involved with Collingwood.

I really hope Troy can sort this out, the kid has talent and he could ruin his life if he makes the wrong decision.

TygerTyger said:
Exactly! I lived as a small kid for a few years in a small community near Alice Springs. Some of our neighbours remembered meeting whitefellas for the first time! The change they had to adapt to cannot be underestimated. Years later at school in Melbourne, I met a guy from Redfern who moved to melbourne because "he just wanted to be a teenager". He dressed like an inner city teenager, talked like one, wore Nick Cave t-shirt etc - but the first thing most people saw was that he was Aboriginal.

Bottom line is Troy's circumstance are Troy's circumstances. Any attempt to say as a rule "all Aboriginals are X" is ignorant a best, plainly racist at worst.

While you make a lot of sense, it is well known that the Aboriginal boys face special difficulties in adjusting to city life. We have an annual Dreamtime game, we've had Indigenous Round, there all matches involving aboriginal all-star teams, there's an indigenous team of the century. All these are constant reminders that they are different so there's a natural tendency to group them together, however ignorant that may be.

I believe Adam Goodes penned an article objecting to the media highlighting the instinct the top indigenous players seem to have for the game ("black magic" etc) as it wasn't beneficial to Aboriginals as a group to be regarded as different or special, but later seemingly retracted that opinion with another piece espousing the opposite viewpoint. It's a little confusing for everyone I guess.

rosy23 said:
As I said I don't get it mld. Surely it applies all ways though. People are different races and nationalities. It's fact. If I went amongst black pygmies and the first thing they noticed what that I was tall and white I wouldn't find that offensive. It's glaringly obvious. It's who I am. Some comments here seem to have an implication that it's a thing of shame to be seen as different. Not judged, not treated differently but just as TygerTyger mentioned the first thing noticed.

You and I don't have to get it though. Teenagers can be incorrect in feeling the way they do, and yet they still feel that way.

mld said:
You and I don't have to get it though. Teenagers can be incorrect in feeling the way they do, and yet they still feel that way.

That's very generalised though mld. It's not a set rule. Some adults and some teenagers might feel that way. Not all of them. It's more about individual mindset and attitude. Plenty of people of all races are proud of their heritage and don't feel inferior because of it or wish they were different. I'm not sure how those kind of comments tie in with Troy. I don't know if he has any issues about his Aboriginality.

In Today's article they said he was dealing with "an indigenous cultural issue.'' What do you think that means?

Thought he could have been a ripper foward for us
really hope he gets back to training soon.

marsinvenus said:
Thought he could have been a ripper foward for us
really hope he gets back to training soon.

No doubt.

Lets hope he returns with 100% commitment.

Most of us can't begin to understand the difficulties of kids coming from difficult upbringings.

The way that aboriginals have been treated is appalling.

These kids re coming from the Third World, with at times a lack of role models. They have a different family system, where the clan is very important.

It takes a huge strength of character to succeed and some clubs do it better than others.

Relton Roberts now regrets what he did.

Carl Peterson will doubly regret what he did, but these kids have family pressures to deal with as well.

Look at Andrew Karakoeur's problem. The families were having a feud and he was drawn into it.

Troy is growing up, and hopefully the clubs support will help him deal with the issues.

I was served by him at the shop early this year, and he struck him as a polite kid, with a sunny disposition.

So, we need to support all the kids. They are part of the Richmond clan and we need to support them.

Look at Connors as an example of what can happen. There are many bad stories about him, and it took a huge wakeup call for him to settle down.

Troy Taylor looks like he could be a player. We need to be patient, supportive, like any parent would be.

Don't think it really matters when he comes back when you look at the bigger picture. We are prob still bottom 4 next year so no rush. As long as he comes back though. Give him as much time as he needs, think he will be worth the wait.

Was speaking to an ex port player last night who also happens to be aboriginal & i asked re Troy's situation & he said from what he can see without knowing to much is that it appears as though Troy is homesick.He said that when you come from the N.T it's alot different than if you were from a normal city etc

Good luck to Troy hope he sorts out whatever issues he has and comes back to tear it up for the Tigers!

RFC_O has posted on Boof Footy (why do they get all the Official love?) that some TT news will be coming in the next 2-3 days. Good or bad, unknown.

I was confident it was going to be good news, now I don't feel as though he will come back now. I hope that he does.