Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

The Fish said:
You need to read the thread mate. some of the posts got deleted, some are still there. connors never copped it cos he was white.

Hi you obviously have not read everything but I think it very safe to say that Connors has copped more from just me than Taylor has in this thread and I have no doubt that a lot of the long time posters will testify to that fact.

What colour a person is doesn't matter but the fact remains that Richmond seem to struggle with talented indigenous players.

brigadiertiger said:
What colour a person is doesn't matter but the fact remains that Richmond seem to struggle with talented indigenous players.
Richmond has struggled with a lot of players, regardless. How many of our indigenous lads have gone on to succeed elsewhere? Three of the indigenous below were rookies, one a 3rd or fourth round rookie. Plenty of caucasion Aussies on that list.

Players Richmond “failed” to develop since Bling.

Meyer (another list)
Pattison (pick up and dumped)
Polo
Limbach
Knobel
Bowden
Cleve Hughes
Travis Casserly
Jeremy Humm
Cameron Howat x 2!
Tasman Clingan
Dean Putt
Jarrod Silvester
Tristan Cartledge
Adam Thomson
Tom Hislop

Tambling (another list, he left us)
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (another list? rookie)
Carl Peterson (pick up and dumped)
Jordan McMahon
Clayton Collard
Alroy Gilligan

edit: may not be 100% accurate but illustrates point.

Elmer said:
Richmond has struggled with a lot of players, regardless. How many of our indigenous lads have gone on to succeed elsewhere? Three of the indigenous below were rookies, one a 3rd or fourth round rookie. Plenty of caucasion Aussies on that list.

Players Richmond “failed” to develop since Bling.

Meyer (another list)
Pattison (pick up and dumped)
Polo
Limbach
Knobel
Bowden
Cleve Hughes
Travis Casserly
Jeremy Humm
Cameron Howat x 2!
Tasman Clingan
Dean Putt
Jarrod Silvester
Tristan Cartledge
Adam Thomson
Tom Hislop

Tambling (another list, he left us)
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (another list? rookie)
Carl Peterson (pick up and dumped)
Jordan McMahon
Clayton Collard
Alroy Gilligan

Not denying we have struggled to develop across the board but when you look at other clubs that have indigenous players succeeding compared to our recent efforts we seem to have a problem we still do get the occasional white guy right who can play we can not say the same for indigenous players.

brigadiertiger said:
Not denying we have struggled to develop across the board but when you look at other clubs that have indigenous players succeeding compared to our recent efforts we seem to have a problem we still do get the occasional white guy right who can play we can not say the same for indigenous players.
Our recent efforts (5 years) have been appalling regardless.

Without doing the numbers the ratio would be about four to one I reckon on recruitment, so you'd hope so. Three of those being drafts pick 1,2 and 3 that Blind Freddy would have chosen. Apart from Bling and JON the rest have not been high picks. There was never any problem with JON other than he was a lemon. It also appears we cannot count Edwards as he is 'city indigenous'.

It's the sweeping generalisation by some made into fact that we can't, won't or shouldn't recruit indigenous kids I find bluntly, moronic at best.

After coming back here after a day or two, I re-read my posts and hope that they wern't too pointed or negative about Taylor :-[. Because I work in indigenous education I can be a bit blunt about some of the issues and over-generalise. The way I read the article it wasn't ceremony he was going back for though. I think he is a talent and hope he gets back to RFC to fly the flag for NT footy ;D!

Elmer said:
It's the sweeping generalisation by some made into fact that we can't, won't or shouldn't recruit indigenous kids I find bluntly, moronic at best.

Exactly! I lived as a small kid for a few years in a small community near Alice Springs. Some of our neighbours remembered meeting whitefellas for the first time! The change they had to adapt to cannot be underestimated. Years later at school in Melbourne, I met a guy from Redfern who moved to melbourne because "he just wanted to be a teenager". He dressed like an inner city teenager, talked like one, wore Nick Cave t-shirt etc - but the first thing most people saw was that he was Aboriginal.

Bottom line is Troy's circumstance are Troy's circumstances. Any attempt to say as a rule "all Aboriginals are X" is ignorant a best, plainly racist at worst.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Greg Denham reported on SEN that Gerard Neesham has taken Troy under his wing.Greg sees that as a positive in regards to Troy returning to Punt Road.

Good to hear if true!

TygerTyger said:
Exactly! I lived as a small kid for a few years in a small community near Alice Springs. Some of our neighbours remembered meeting whitefellas for the first time!

out of interest which community?

TygerTyger said:
Exactly! I lived as a small kid for a few years in a small community near Alice Springs. Some of our neighbours remembered meeting whitefellas for the first time! The change they had to adapt to cannot be underestimated. Years later at school in Melbourne, I met a guy from Redfern who moved to melbourne because "he just wanted to be a teenager". He dressed like an inner city teenager, talked like one, wore Nick Cave t-shirt etc - but the first thing most people saw was that he was Aboriginal.

Bottom line is Troy's circumstance are Troy's circumstances. Any attempt to say as a rule "all Aboriginals are X" is ignorant a best, plainly racist at worst.

Great post.

TygerTyger said:
Years later at school in Melbourne, I met a guy from Redfern who moved to melbourne because "he just wanted to be a teenager". He dressed like an inner city teenager, talked like one, wore Nick Cave t-shirt etc - but the first thing most people saw was that he was Aboriginal.

What is wrong with being seen as Aboriginal if you are Aboriginal? I'd expect to be seen as a non-Aboriginal if I mixed with Aboriginals. If I see a Sudanese child or a Chinese grandmother I'd notice that fact before I noticed what they were wearing. It makes it seem like it's shameful rather than being proud of who we are. I don't get it.

I don’t know about that rosie, teenagers often don’t want to be considered different to their peers. They can be self-conscious about things that we wouldn’t be as adults.

As I said I don't get it mld. Surely it applies all ways though. People are different races and nationalities. It's fact. If I went amongst black pygmies and the first thing they noticed what that I was tall and white I wouldn't find that offensive. It's glaringly obvious. It's who I am. Some comments here seem to have an implication that it's a thing of shame to be seen as different. Not judged, not treated differently but just as TygerTyger mentioned the first thing noticed.

rosy23 said:
As I said I don't get it mld. Surely it applies all ways though. People are different races and nationalities. It's fact. If I went amongst black pygmies and the first thing they noticed what that I was tall and white I wouldn't find that offensive. It's glaringly obvious. It's who I am. Some comments here seem to have an implication that it's a thing of shame to be seen as different. Not judged, not treated differently but just as TygerTyger mentioned the first thing noticed.

TT may be able to speak for himself, but I wonder if the inference is that we all want to be simply seen as people first and foremost - not short/fat/old/black...

Perhaps the classification itself is implicitly pigeon holing the person in question. (You know; 'He's <insert classification here> what would you expect...')

lukeanddad said:
TT may be able to speak for himself, but I wonder if the inference is that we all want to be simply seen as people first and foremost - not short/fat/old/black...

Of course we do and of course we should. Doesn't mean differences aren't noticable at first sight. That's just a fact of life.

rosy23 said:
Of course we do and of course we should. Doesn't mean differences aren't noticable at first sight. That's just a fact of life.

It isn't really a fact of life. I was brought up in a country where I was a different colour to 98% of the population. It was only when I came to Australia and looked back at the photos of my friends and I playing that I realised they were much darker skinned than I am...

lukeanddad said:
It isn't really a fact of life. I was brought up in a country where I was a different colour to 98% of the population. It was only when I came to Australia and looked back at the photos of my friends and I playing that I realised they were much darker skinned than I am...

TygerTyger said the first thing noticed was that the person was aboriginal. It must have been noticable in that example, even if it wasn't in yours. I met a beautiful Sudanese woman recently. She was the darkest skinned person I'd ever met. There is no way that wouldn't be noticable, same as there would be no way she wouldn't notice I was white. I don't believe you wouldn't notice something that obvious. Brown eyes are noticable, blonde hair is noticable. Having one leg is noticable. Doesn't mean anyone should have a chip on our shoulders or an air of superiority about who we are.

Joe Lynn Turnip said:
Ok then. Guess that's a no. :police:

If you wish to continue being an idiot then on ya bike.  There's nothing "topical" or "humourous" about beastiality.  Keep it up and you'll have a holiday from PRE. :mad:

rosy23 said:
TygerTyger said the first thing noticed was that the person was aboriginal. It must have been noticable in that example, even if it wasn't in yours. I met a beautiful Sudanese woman recently. She was the darkest skinned person I'd ever met. There is no way that wouldn't be noticable, same as there would be no way she wouldn't notice I was white. I don't believe you wouldn't notice something that obvious. Brown eyes are noticable, blonde hair is noticable. Having one leg is noticable. Doesn't mean anyone should have a chip on our shoulders or an air of superiority about who we are.
Not to sure that it was just the fact of noticing the kid was aboriginal that Tyger was atoning to Rosy.
Most people would notice someone of different colour, size or shape wandering around, it's more the older school automatic thought process that goes along with someone noticing another person that doesn't fit the norm, specially the drunken thieving useless black fella stereo type that went around less than half a lifetime ago.
Neon Leon did an article in the papers a few years back about how he hated that every time he went shopping or spent some time browsing people would look at him as if they were waiting for him to start stealing stuff just because he was an Abo ( pardon the derogatory abrieviation).

Most people nowadays wouldn't much give a stuff about the race, colour of people but many of those from the minorities that have been hammered over the years would still be very sensitive about people perceiving them as less than the rest or noticing them for no reason.