Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

Kel_Bolt said:
I do not understand how people think you can rip a kid out of his home and expect him to conform to such a foreign AFL lifestyle, just because of athletic capability. A person's natural instinct to change is resistance, the change from an indigenous environment to Melbourne city life is enormous and something a majority could not appreciate.

An example of this is the story of Liam Jurrah found shaking in fear in his car at his first recovery session; he had seen the sea before but never swum in it. This is a tiny example how overwhelming the AFL system could be to an individual.

You cannot blame the individual, but the environment they grow up in.

RFC need to reassess their approach of managing these players, whether that learning from Melbourne Football Club or possibly an EPL club etc, i don't know, but the current process is clearly not working.

Hardwick says you're wrong Kel. No different devlopment model for indigenous kids.

Tigers of Old said:
What do you put Edwards progression this year down to?

How strong is Edwards indigenous background? He's not from a remote community like someone like Taylor, Gilligan or even Tambling - so it's chalk and cheese really. Personally I don't think Hardwick is in any way to blame. Tambling's problems seem to be in his head and with is treatment by certain Tiger supporters - which predate Hardwick. He needed a change as much as anyone I have ever seen. As I have tried to say in my other posts community indigenous boys unless they have a really stable background are becoming increasingly difficult to deal with for everyone - not just AFL clubs. Sampi, Peterson, Hooper, Lovett, Gilligan and now Taylor probably lots for others are all cases in point - all the talent in the world but....................................

Djevv said:
How strong is Edwards indigenous background? He's not from a remote community like someone like Taylor, Gilligan or even Tambling - so it's chalk and cheese really. Personally I don't think Hardwick is in any way to blame.

May well be chalk and cheese but my point is all cases are different.
I also think it's odd to blame Dimma for this in any way.
Likely to be just be pure coincidence that (possibly) 4 indigenous boys have moved on.

Tigers of Old said:
May well be chalk and cheese but my point is all cases are different.
I also think it's odd to blame Dimma for this in any way.
Likely to be just be pure coincidence that (possibly) 4 indigenous boys have moved on.

Coincidence for sure, plus the fact that the veteran player (Tambling) in the group clearly didn't want to be here this season. I'd have thought these chaps might stick together for support, so if a couple were concerned and wanted out, you'd think the other guys might to.

RFC need to move on, but learn from this. We need to draft the best players available to us at anytime, and if they are indigenous, so be it. But there are obviously risks in doing so, and we need to make sure we learn from our experiences each time so that in the future, the only reason these blokes leave the club is because we want them to or they are retiring from the game.

I bet Troy would've have been on the straight and narrow if he was at Collingwood.
so much for potential, doesn't mean much if his not prepared to do the hard yards.
Delist him immediately. We need to improve, these blokes are always going to have external issues.

I know the story of Dimma not wanting to treat indigenous kids differently is now folk lore fact, but I would be surprised if he didn't have a very good idea of what it takes to bring these guys on.

Essendon, Port and Hawthorn seem to have had a decent amount of success with indigenous players. Beavis has spent time at all 3 clubs.

Baloo said:
I know the story of Dimma not wanting to treat indigenous kids differently is now folk lore fact, but I would be surprised if he didn't have a very good idea of what it takes to bring these guys on.

Essendon, Port and Hawthorn seem to have had a decent amount of success with indigenous players. Beavis has spent time at all 3 clubs.

About the size of it, Baloo.

zippadeee said:
I bet Troy would've have been on the straight and narrow if he was at Collingwood.

... based on what? The behaviour of Shaw, Didak (I'll stay away from more recent events)? I'm glad we took a chance with Taylor; he was always a risk, with a huge upside. As he is still a tenager, I would not give up on him yet.

If the club doesn't have the necessary tools, people, management etc to deal with indigenous kids than why draft them? How about we get it right off the filed in regards to player welfware and then think about drafting these type of kids.

Relton, Gilligan, Taylor have all failed not due to lack of talent but lack of productivity and hunger. Either we are drafting the wrong type of character or the einvironment at RFC isn't strong enough to sustain and build it.

Either way the club should be picking players based on what we can provide and what they can provide. Why waste picks and more importantly development years on kids that are clearly going to struggle in the big time.

Wake up RFC!!!

lukeanddad said:
I would not give up on him yet.

Me either. He has the talent, it is up to the club and himself to work things out and get it happening or not. The signs do not appear great, but who really knows where he is at.

Baloo said:

Totally agree.

frawleyudud said:
Relton, Gilligan, Taylor have all failed not due to lack of talent but lack of productivity and hunger.

Gee that's a big statement. If what you say is true then I'd expect all being still very young, other teams will pick up all of these players and turn them into successful AFL players.

I see Relton differently.

Either hopper or Djiev said when he drafted him that it's going to be a very hard slog for Relton to cope with the demands of the AFL. Low chance of success but if it paid off then we'd have a ripper player.

He was a rookie. It didn't work. Move on. Most rookies don't make it no matter what culture they come from.

frawleyudud said:
Relton, Gilligan, Taylor have all failed not due to lack of talent but lack of productivity and hunger.

Disagree. Appalling post. Relton never once lacked hunger. He was always hungry. Unfortunately that hunger was for hamburgers and not success with the RFC.

lamb22 said:
Hardwick says you're wrong Kel. No different devlopment model for indigenous kids.

That is only speculation and/or opinion - not fact.

Agree too with tooheys. some were just not up to it. Suppose we failed to develop Ashley Blurton as well.

BrisTiger24 said:
Disagree. Appalling post. Relton never once lacked hunger. He was always hungry. Unfortunately that hunger was for hamburgers and not success with the RFC.

:hihi

I feel that someof the issues applicable to those that have departed who were of indigenous background were also:

a/ They were used to playing football without constraints ie a game plan placed on them
b/ They had played for fun rather for progress to the highest level..The fun goes out of it a bit when you can't do what you want, and your mates / family are at home...
c/ They had Never worked that hard to get onto a list ie had natural ability that got them by at the intermediate level, but never had to train that much before to perform well..
d/ They weere not used to the club constraints on behaviour and game preparation and didn't want to have to conform.
e/ They arguably had "damaged" upbringing and personal environments that are prevelent unfortunately in Australias indigenous community.

On top of all that is the fact that perhaps like a lot of others, they just weren't up to it.

lamb22 said:
I think Troy has some issues at time of drafting but clearly the club has problem developing indigenous talent - Taylor, Mcgrath, Gilligan, Roberts, Peterson all recent examples.

Don't forget Clayton Collard.