Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

If he hasn,t decided before the 2nd list lodgement,Delist him,Promote Hicks and Rookie Taylor if he decides to have another crack.If he gets picked up by another club sobeit.

I for one, will be massively surprised if he comes back & plays. He came with risks - he had form with his mates in the territory with some sort of robbery - he was passed over until pick 51 despite displaying plenty of underage talent. He goes home for new year & bops 3 blokes - the court was generous with a suspended sentence as he would have a structured environment around him. The Club supported him & did the right thing to impress the court we can support him.

Plenty of potential but doubt we will see it. If he doesn't want the opportunity - that's fine - would have been nice to know earlier when we are considering our list & draft requirements but not too late. Give him a deadline & if he doesn't want to be with us - lets move on. Carl Peterson got a second opportunity at Hawthorn - first of all stated he really didn't give it a go at Richmond - played a good game at Hawthoen & then suggested we didn't do enough for him. Now Hawthorn have had enough too. There are plenty of indigenous & non indigenous players who despite their talent have not come to grips with what is required to succeed at the elite level & have fallen by the wayside. Then there are those that succeed & there are some fine examples of that too.

Wish Taylor all the best - but his life is his to lead. I look forward to us moving up the ladder - if he is with us - fine - if not - lets get someone else who can help us improve.

You cannot help but think Richmond does not have the structure or understanding of managing indigenous players into AFL lifestyle. Melbourne Football Club have been expceptional in this area recently, we should look to either poach their welfare managers or tap into their model of transitioning indigenous players.

In the interim RFC should stay clear until they are confident they can extract the best out of individuals from remote / indigenous areas.

You cannot blame the player at all.

Kel_Bolt said:
In the interim RFC should stay clear until they are confident they can extract the best out of individuals from remote / indigenous areas.

I wouldn't have a clue of the facts Kel but that's a big call about the club.  The players have to take some of the responsibility for their own actions and mindset.  We all do.

rosy23 said:
I wouldn't have a clue of the facts Kel but that's a big call about the club. The players have to take some of the responsibility for their own actions and mindset. We all do.

Just beat me to it Rosy. Of course the player has to take some responsibility.

If what Kel said is the case society should take the entire blame for Troy assaulting those 3 guys last year!

strachanie19 said:
Send Dustin Martin up there to sort him out!!!!!

Nah. Send his dad!.

216780.jpg

Kel_Bolt said:
You cannot help but think Richmond does not have the structure or understanding of managing indigenous players into AFL lifestyle. Melbourne Football Club have been expceptional in this area recently, we should look to either poach their welfare managers or tap into their model of transitioning indigenous players.

I think Troy has some issues at time of drafting but clearly the club has problem developing indigenous talent - Taylor, Mcgrath, Gilligan, Roberts, Peterson all recent examples. Tambling a guy with a good head on his shoulders has also left the club.

Interesting that Hardwick missed out in part on the bombers job because he lacked any indigenous development plan. Could be that while Hardwick is coach any indigenous players drafted are likely to struggle.

Kel_Bolt said:

Where does it stop though? Many schools and non football work places also have difficultly managing the cultural transition for young Indigenous males from remote areas. Perhaps they should also adopt a policy of not accepting Indigenous people until their systems improve? We could take this even further, perhaps our public transport systems and our public areas should refuse access to Indigenous people until their systems imporve.

lamb22 said:
I think Troy has some issues at time of drafting but clearly the club has problem developing indigenous talent - Taylor, Mcgrath, Gilligan, Roberts, Peterson all recent examples. Tambling a guy with a good head on his shoulders has also left the club.

Interesting that Hardwick missed out in part on the bombers job because he lacked any indigenous development plan. Could be that while Hardwick is coach any indigenous players drafted are likely to struggle.

Long bow to draw lamb although first of heard of the bombers bit - is that speculation or fact?

Big Cat Lover said:
Long bow to draw lamb although first of heard of the bombers bit - is that speculation or fact?

it is speculated as fact.
been said quite a few times.

Elmer said:
Chris Tarrant went "walkabout" and came back and played another ten years.

Does happen. Lot of experts on a bloke with a troubled past. Hope he comes good.

Any other examples? In most cases, once this 'walkabout' starts usually the end is nigh, or they end up being ultra inconsistent. Me, I just think if a player is questioning his desire to play at just 19, then we should just cut the rope and let them go. Play the percentages. There are plenty of 19 year old kids that desperately want to play footy and make the associated sacrifices. Enough pandering to those who aren't committed from day 1.

Surely you wouldn't give up on him now. Instead of taking the easy option and casting him out as weak, do what it takes to get him back and (hopefully) playing well.

lamb22 said:
Well if thats the case then good on Hardwick.Why should anyone on the list be treated different to any other?Hardwick should get on the phone to Troy and ask him one simple question.Do you want a career in the AFL?if he says Yes then Hardwick demand he be back in Melb by Monday.if he says i need time.Then if i was hardwick id tell him some home truths and delist him.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Where did we lose the knack? Or were Rioli, Mitchell & Egan just exceptional people, and Richmond exceptionally lucky? How has Melbourne integrated a bloke like Jurrah while our indigenous boys treat the place like a halfway house?

Personally I think Taylor is gone. He got homesick and wants to be back with his mates. That really all I think there is to it IMO. There were rumblings throughout the year. Now preseason has come with the hard work - he does not want to be part of it.

He isn't the only indigenous boy to go AWOL recently, even from other clubs. The guys who make it usually come from a really strong stable family background - ie the Davy boys, the Motlops, Ritchie T (thanks to his grandmother), the Clark brothers. In the old days things were different, the indigeneous boys had their culture, and often they also had a good education so they were able to adapt. These days, to be frank, they have neither.

jb03 said:
Surely you wouldn't give up on him now. Instead of taking the easy option and casting him out as weak, do what it takes to get him back and (hopefully) playing well.

I reckon the easy option is what many have done in the past, pander to them trying to make them believe that they really want to play AFL when they clearly do not. Not ready to cast him off just yet, until we at least know the situation more clearly, however these 'personal issues' are just happening far too often, predominantly with the Aboriginal youngsters. Am sure the move from their own communities is a very big step and this must play some part considering the quantity of occurrences.

lamb22 said:

Ridiculous statement considering clubs have dedicated development managers. Indigenous players struggling would not be Hardwick's fault.

Djevv said:
Personally I think Taylor is gone. He got homesick and wants to be back with his mates. That really all I think there is to it IMO. There were rumblings throughout the year. Now preseason has come with the hard work - he does not want to be part of it.

He isn't the only indigenous boy to go AWOL recently, even from other clubs. The guys who make it usually come from a really strong stable family background - ie the Davy boys, the Motlops, Ritchie T (thanks to his grandmother), the Clark brothers. In the old days things were different, the indigeneous boys had their culture, and often they also had a good education so they were able to adapt. These days, to be frank, they have neither.

That's a bit sad to here Djevv. Are you saying conditions includng education are getting worse?

Are the young kids not getting access to their culture or are they turning their backs on it?