Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

craig said:
Compared to what i do everyday at work and the pressure im under and whats at stake if i *smile* up , i'll back the pressures of my life in over a kid like Taylors anyday, in fact i'll put em up against most of the population without fear or favour lets see how he''d go walking in my shoes.

Agree - bloody soft if you ask me. And I'm Gen Y.

craig said:
I p!ss myself reading all the apologists getting up on their soap boxes bleating, fair dinkum maybe is nothing more simple than the fact Troy just DOESNT want to be at the RFC anyone stopped to think of that..

If he doesn't want to be at the club then fine he can go but it would have been nice to have known this before trade week especially if he just doesn't want to be at RFC but wanted to go elsewhere.

What is disappointing is that the club stood by him in court and as a result he was given a lighter sentence and it now may be the case that he wants out would have thought he felt like he owed the club just a little. Sad thing is one wonders that without any responsibility that comes with being a footballer where he will end up.

premiers2010 said:
THere's a reason he didn't go till pick 51.
We took the risk and it looks lke it's backfired

I wouldn't say it backfired, we took a punt on a high risk/return player and right now it looks like it isn't playing off

One door shuts while another door opens for someone else on our list. Promote someone like Hicks who wants to put the hard yards in being a AFL player.

Football is a ruthless business and only the mentally tough survive and succeed. It doesnt matter if you are black, white, green or purple. To win premierships you need 40 blokes who are committed to the the cause. The RFC should not have to be a social service centre for those who want to commit when it suits them.

This might sound harsh and I do hope the kid gets his life in order but if your heart and commitment is not in it, then its best that player is moved on and given to someone who
really wants it.

There are thousands of other kids just dying to be on an AFL list. They might not be as talented as Troy but as the saying goes talent only gets you so far. Classic example Brett Kirk. The bloke was rejected 2 or 3 times but persisted and persisted and ended up being one of the most respected footballers of the modern era.

Just read about Carl Peterson parting ways with the Dawks because of his attitude then hearing this about Troy and it gets me thinking....in the past and generally speaking, kids would get drafted by a club, then train and play to the best of their ability, some were good some were not, yet they made the necessary sacrifices asked of them and generally adhered to club rules. More and more nowdays you hear of young players having dummy spits and at times showing absolute contempt towards their team mates and coaches. I don't know if it's the media in the quiet season OR a Gen Y issue where the rule book doesn't exist. Thoughts?

Tigermad2005 said:
What has that got to do with it?

Alot! Because we have a player walking out and another wanting to go elsewhere, There seems to be a problem in the club in helping players dealing with external problems.
Because i don't see what the club needs to do to rectify this growing problem. This a AFL problem. Maybe introduce new guidelines when recruiting.
player mentors.
increased age in recruiting
more family visitation

Taylor will devlop onto a mighty fine footballer if he wants it bad enough. That kid has some serious talent and i just hope for both the rfc and troys benefit, that he does reach the heights of his potential.

I wonder how long the club has known about this. Were they aware when they decided to trade Collins ?

I'm hoping that things turn around for Troy and that this is not another wasted draft pick!

If not, then what we need to remember is that Troy being aboriginal is just one part of this. Our recruiting has been woeful and at least he wasn't a first rounder like Tambling, Meyer, Pattison and Polo.

And if we were to focus on the indigenous aspect, maybe we are just doing it wrong? What about recruiting the 'right' indigenous talent. What about setting up an environment that REALLY encourages guys to stay, work hard and get the best out of themselves.

Easier said than done, but what's the bet Sheeds won't need an indigenous center at GWS to get a swag of guys from NT taking a trip to Sydney next year. No going walkabout and he'll probably have em playing good footy too. Along with islander rugby players, Africans, Arabs and a couple from Indochina!

One downside to this development is that every time Richmond pick another aboriginal going forward, everyone will be thinking (at least to themselves) 'mmmm not going to expect much from this kid'

Chris Tarrant went "walkabout" and came back and played another ten years.

Does happen. Lot of experts on a bloke with a troubled past. Hope he comes good.

Elmer said:
Chris Tarrant went "walkabout" and came back and played another ten years.

Does happen. Lot of experts on a bloke with a troubled past. Hope he comes good.

Yep agree Elmer.

I would love to know how many country kids have gone home over the years after finding the AFL\VFL and city life too much. Would be hundreds

I am not sure it is being soft or lacking character either.

Do any of us actually know what is going on or is it all just speculation? The clubs press statement was that he had some personal issues to sorty out. This could mean anything from being homesick to a sick relative and most workplaces these days allow for some personal leave.

He hasn't walked out on the club as yet (at least officially) and all this talk of him being a wasted pick is jumping the gun a bit. Lets all take a bex and wait to see how it pans out before calling for the club to stop recruiting indiginous players.

We trade blokes like Collins that was giving his all for the club but keep blokes that can't handle the training and toughness of AFL football. Should have thought of it before nominating for the draft.

Just when i thought the club had got its act together ::). Time to put foot down and if they want to be there great, if not then *smile* OFF!!! Sick of this *smile*. We all have issues in life. If i went walkabout everytime i had a hard time at work i'd be missing most of the year.

Grow some balls. Only draft blokes that are bloody determined to make themselves and AFL footballer. King for all his shortcomings, shows what mental toughness is all about.

LeighW said:
Do any of us actually know what is going on or is it all just speculation? The clubs press statement was that he had some personal issues to sorty out. This could mean anything from being homesick to a sick relative and most workplaces these days allow for some personal leave.

He hasn't walked out on the club as yet (at least officially) and all this talk of him being a wasted pick is jumping the gun a bit. Lets all take a bex and wait to see how it pans out before calling for the club to stop recruiting indiginous players.

There was a certain tone to the article this morning that indicates that he will be leaving.