Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

He really needs to keep his nose clean. He walked away with a suspended sentance largely because he had a likely AFL career waiting for him. If he gives it away it'll just take one more drunken punch to see him locked up for some time.

Silly lad.

I am beginning to think 18 is just too young to draft indigenous kids, maybe they are just not mature enough to handle the massive transition in their lives and the professionalisim required at AFL level.

Some of the best indigenous players to play VFL/AFL have come into the system over the years at 20 to 21. M Rioli, Long, Krakeour brothers, Cable, Winmar, Davey after they have played several seasons of senior footy in other leagues.

Young Rioli has done ok, but he was moved to melbourne a year or two before he was drafted. That seems to have worked well for him.

This kid needs to realise he has an enormous opportunity in front of him and grab it with both hands.

I hope he can make the same conclusion. He has enormous talent and it would be a shame to waste, but if he cant get his head around this then what can we do.

The old story, you can lead a horse to water...............and you know the rest.

Come on Troy you owe it to yourself to make a go of this opportunity.

I think Troy realises everything people on him seem to think he needs to wake up and realise.

Different culture/values/desires/needs, you name it, from his perspective he probably has a thousand reasons to walk away for every reason there is to stay.

Mr Magic said:
I am beginning to think 18 is just too young to draft indigenous kids, maybe they are just not mature enough to handle the massive transition in their lives and the professionalisim required at AFL level.

Some of the best indigenous players to play VFL/AFL have come into the system over the years at 20 to 21. M Rioli, Long, Krakeour brothers, Cable, Winmar, Davey after they have played several seasons of senior footy in other leagues.
Might be right Magic.

Mr Magic said:

Pretty sure Rioli moved to Melb at 14 Baloo. No doubt that helped him enormously. He was a kid who was determined from a very young age he'd play AFL, but he still cried himself to sleep many nights that first year. It helped he had a couple of Norm Smith Medallist uncles, with Michael Long consistently telling him it would get easier if he hung in there. None of us can imagine the massive culture shock an indigenous kid from the Territory would suffer, and how homesick they'd get. Damn shame if Taylor's gone for good, he is a massive talent. Reports are he's a good kid so if he stays out of jail (could be a big if) it wouldn't surprise to see him re-emerge in a few years.

Not going to be a good look for the opening of the Indigenous Centre when we have to pull out birth certificates to prove Shane Edwards has a bit of blackfella in there somewhere.

Look im calling it as i see it, imo the aboriginal kids in the AFL are pandered to too much molly coddeled and treated with kid gloves, thus can take off without guilt or a second thought when things get hard or difficult because its made too easy for them to walk away with no repercussions and often are given concessions that may not be afforded to other players.

There is no doubt whatsoever that its an extreme ask of young aboriginal boys to leave their homes their customs, ways of life come from isolated communities to make the transition required yet many do do it with aplomb and become wonderful professionals.

The RFC seemingly just cannot get this right, they obviously cannot identify the boys who have the drive or attitude to make the most of such a big ask and prospective opportunity.

If Troy walks away im tipping he may turn up at the Gold Coast in a year or 3, wasnt overly excited about being drafted to RFC to begin with was whispers i heard as he wanted to go to Collingwood.

The axing of Scoobie, the Witness and Gilligan probably was last straw for him who knows.

Whatever his issues are i hope he gets them sorted cos the kid can play and could offer alot, however If hes not strong enough in the mind or lacks the will, he wont make it, well not at the RFC anyway.

Be interesting to see how this transpires and what the issues actually are or if there are any apart from the kid simply not wanting to be at the RFC or in Victoria.

Wasn't Troy staying with Mitch Morton?
Perhaps he doesn't like his cooking. :-\

Don't have a feeling that this is going to end well for the RFC as they have already been very supportive of Taylor once already.
Patience must be a little thin to begin with.
Unfortunate as I think Troy had real X Factor.

Streak said:
I think Troy realises everything people on him seem to think he needs to wake up and realise.

Different culture/values/desires/needs, you name it, from his perspective he probably has a thousand reasons to walk away for every reason there is to stay.
I agree,I reckon he`d realise what a great opportunity he has but if he has different desires then there`s nothing wrong with that,AFL Footy isn`t the be all and end all of life.

And I reckon he has done pretty well for an 18 year old kid to come from where he did,being in Jail and in trouble with the Police and in danger of going to Jail again to lasting a Full Season with an AFL club,keeping his nose clean the whole year and finally forcing his way into the side in Round 22.

But if his heart isn`t 100% in it then we should move him on and give someone else a go.

if doesn't get back by Xmas, delist or make a statement and sack him. Richmond Football Club is a Football Club not a Human Resources Centre.
We need to concentrate on the current list going forward, we cannot have any distractions.
This occurrence with Troy isn't the 1st time this has happened to us. Peterson, Krakour, Gilliham, Roberts etc.
I'm really getting sick of us always having players misbehaving or walking out on the club.. This needs to stop.
No wonder he didn't go top 20 in the draft, maybe other clubs already knew he had too much baggage..

Doesn't make a difference what colour he is. If he doesn't want to put the hard yards in and be a part of a team environment than give him the flick. Having passengers who dictate terms to the club is the quickest way to poison a list. move him on and pick up a kid who will bust his nut to get a game in the big league.
On Troys predicament , whatever that may be, I hope he gets his head in the right place and one day fulfills his obvious potential. Just a shame if it does go tit's up that he couldn't do it for us.

One thing I'm confident of is if we leave him alone up there he's gone. If we want him we should send a delegation to impress on him a) that we want and need him, and b) his obligation to his teammates and himself. Hardwick, Newman, Morton, Lids, Cotch, Jack, Dusty: "Look us in the eye son and tell us you're leaving us in the lurch after everything we've done for you. Better yet, come back with us, put your head down and make your family proud."

We need to make a decision before the final list lodgement.

After that it serves no purpose for us to sack him as we can't elevate a rookie because of a retirement/sacking.

At this stage of our rebuild, and the potential Taylor has, and the timing of all of this, he's worth persisting with.

"Ahh... Derek, I don't know if you're familiar with the belief that some aboriginal tribes hold... It's the concept that a photo might steal a part of your soul. I'm mean what are your thoughts on that, as someone who gets his picture taken for a living?"

"Well, I guess I have to answer your question, with another question... How many abadigitals do you see modeling!?"

-

Unless you are aboriginal, or can put yourself in someone else's shoes, how do you know what someone thinks or believes or is feeling ?

The club would have known what it was getting, why not give him time. He isn't even 20 yet.

michael roach said:
I agree,I reckon he`d realise what a great opportunity he has but if he has different desires then there`s nothing wrong with that,AFL Footy isn`t the be all and end all of life.

And I reckon he has done pretty well for an 18 year old kid to come from where he did,being in Jail and in trouble with the Police and in danger of going to Jail again to lasting a Full Season with an AFL club,keeping his nose clean the whole year and finally forcing his way into the side in Round 22.

But if his heart isn`t 100% in it then we should move him on and give someone else a go.

Really good, balanced view. If it's not for him, it's not for him. There are plenty of kids who have huge junior talent who don't cut it because they can't be stuffed putting in the work doing the boring stuff like hours in the gym. Doesn't matter what colour they are. Cleve Hughes comes to mind.

please tigers dont draft aboriginal players unless they have half a brain and are well adjusted and come from a good family. They exhaust a lot of resources otherwise and cannot be relied on and thats why bombers will not be a consistant team for a very long time ! This statement is harsh but bloody eg roberts taylor hooper etc etc etc

Total Tiger said:
Really good, balanced view. If it's not for him, it's not for him. There are plenty of kids who have huge junior talent who don't cut it because they can't be stuffed putting in the work doing the boring stuff like hours in the gym. Doesn't matter what colour they are. Cleve Hughes comes to mind.
Cleve Hughes didn't have the talent. Nearly every bloke who has the talent and pisses it away regrets it later.