Tiger troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger troy Taylor

Phantom said:
True.

In the hands of the NT Police, the young fellow has a good chance of dying in custody.
Phanto, must admit I (as a Territorian) cringed a little when I read this post too. The deaths you are referring to are real people and very serious. The police force you bring into question in such a generalised way also contains many dedicated and hard working people, determined to make a difference.

Don't reckon it's an issue to trivialise on an internet footy forum, even if tongue in cheek. Just mho of course.

So what is the likely outcome here ? Doesn't sound to good if while out on parole you are charged with assault

It is just so disappointing!

Supposedly the club is turning over a new leaf (yet again) with Hardwick’s appointment and a new drafting philosophy.

But before the club can get its campaign out of the stalls, we have the Martin news conference episode and now this.

The uniform at Punt Road should be changed to red noses and floppy shoes…

No one could predict what is going to happen.

There are many factors, including like it or not his heritage, which we simply can't judge on how the NT court system is going to treat him.

Spanish Prisoner said:

Supposedly the club is turning over a new leaf (yet again) with Hardwick’s appointment and a new drafting philosophy.

But before the club can get its campaign out of the stalls, we have the Martin news conference episode and now this.

Opposition Supporters shouldn,t throw stones in Glass Houses.

I'm looking forward to seeing how an 18 year old can assault 3 adult men near middle age.

Wouldn't be surprised TT was provoked in some way and I reckon he'll be found not guilty.

Spanish Prisoner said:

As you are an impartial poster (read: not a Richmond supporter), could you enlighten me on how the Taylor incident is reflecting badly on Richmond and Hardwick? Be good to get an outsider's perspective.

And I thought our drafting philosophy was to recruit players with great football skills. How do the two incidents mentioned reflect badly on that?

TigerForce said:
I'm looking forward to seeing how an 18 year old can assault 3 adult men near middle age.

Wouldn't be surprised TT was provoked in some way and I reckon he'll be found not guilty.

Bottom line for me is young Troy has a nickname.
Reacher.
Those who read the Reacher books will know who I'm referring to.

Good luck young man.

Spanish Prisoner said:

What the *smile* does the club have to do with this? Its not as though he was a high draft pick.

There is no fault on the club's part here and it serves no good purpose speculating on the facts or Troy's guilt or innocence. What we can say is this. If he is found to be not guilty, well and good. If on the other hand he is found to be guilty and the magistrate or judge has discretion under the law as to whether a custodial sentence is required, Troy would seem to have some things working in his favour:

Firstly, he has gainful employment, career prospects and professional and social support in an environment quite different to that in which he has seemed to find trouble. This goes to the likelihood of both re-offence and rehabilitation. It could also be argued that these aspects increase the weight of a custodial sentence.

Secondly, as best we can tell Troy has attempted to pick himself up by the bootstraps after finding himself in trouble as a minor. This would go to his credit.

Thirdly, through RFC's work with the Indiginous Institute here and in the NT, schools programmes etc there is an ideal avenue through which community service could be performed.

Unless the facts were absolutely clear cut AND the act (if any) was so serious as to require prison under sentencing laws, I suspect a magistrate or judge would be reluctant to lock the kid up. Believe it or not most people in the criminal legal system in the NT have a fair bit of common sense, do care and do their best under outrageously complex socio-economic and political circumstances.

Long Lost Hernaman said:
There is no fault on the club's part here and it serves no good purpose speculating on the facts or Troy's guilt or innocence. What we can say is this. If he is found to be not guilty, well and good. If on the other hand he is found to be guilty and the magistrate or judge has discretion under the law as to whether a custodial sentence is required, Troy would seem to have some things working in his favour:

Firstly, he has gainful employment, career prospects and professional and social support in an environment quite different to that in which he has seemed to find trouble. This goes to the likelihood of both re-offence and rehabilitation. It could also be argued that these aspects increase the weight of a custodial sentence.

Secondly, as best we can tell Troy has attempted to pick himself up by the bootstraps after finding himself in trouble as a minor. This would go to his credit.

Thirdly, through RFC's work with the Indiginous Institute here and in the NT, schools programmes etc there is an ideal avenue through which community service could be performed.

Unless the facts were absolutely clear cut AND the act (if any) was so serious as to require prison under sentencing laws, I suspect a magistrate or judge would be reluctant to lock the kid up. Believe it or not most people in the criminal legal system in the NT have a fair bit of common sense, do care and do their best under outrageously complex socio-economic and political circumstances.

Yeah he's got a lot of support through us now.

skybeau said:
As you are an impartial poster (read: not a Richmond supporter), could you enlighten me on how the Taylor incident is reflecting badly on Richmond and Hardwick? Be good to get an outsider's perspective.

And I thought our drafting philosophy was to recruit players with great football skills. How do the two incidents mentioned reflect badly on that?

IanG said:
What the *smile* does the club have to do with this? Its not as though he was a high draft pick.

Both of you know that this incident is damaging the RFC brand. It may have nothing to do with the club administration, but just like Fevola with his toys or Kane Johnson and his toilet habbits, it has the club in the news for all the wrong reasons.

At a time when media should be about a bright future, coverage of the club is about a player who may end up on the wrong side of the law. It is damaging and that is ALL....

Spanish Prisoner said:
Both of you know that this incident is damaging the RFC brand. It may have nothing to do with the club administration, but just like Fevola with his toys or Kane Johnson and his toilet habbits, it has the club in the news for all the wrong reasons.

At a time when media should be about a bright future, coverage of the club is about a player who may end up on the wrong side of the law. It is damaging and that is ALL....

Your previous post blamed the club. Why? Yes I agree it is damaging to the club, its also out of its control.

Long Lost Hernaman said:

What he said

My concern is - at this stage I can't see how he is getting the message. He is currently on parole (see today's Age for prior issues). I have read where he is lifting himself by his bootstraps & turning his life around. I must have missed something, but the current issue is not exactly supporting that. We are at the mercy of the NT court system & it's their call - not ours. Doesn't reflect on the Club - we have given him an opportunity - nor is it relevant to suggest that AFL is being hypocritical. It has nothing to do with them. This is a sporting association. An individual is responsible for their own actions. Do I want to see him play & turn into a star - damn right - because we need every decent player we can lay our hands on. But.....Troy has to be fair dinkum about the opportunity that he is being given - that is not available to a lot of other youngsters either disadvantaged or otherwise. It will run its course & we'll find out Late Feb I guess.

IanG said:
Your previous post blamed the club. Why? Yes I agree it is damaging to the club, its also out of its control.

Not sure how you define "club", but Troy is an employee of the club, and as such his actions reflect on the club.

Troy may not have acted with the imprimatur of the board, but neither did Ben Cousins when he was at West Coast or Alan Didak when he ran amok a few years ago. Nevertheless their actions had a negative impact upon their clubs.

While not comparing his actions, Troy is as much a part of the RFC as the captain of the Valdez was an Exxon employee. And it is about time we all recognised that the actions of an employee has a huge impact on the public image of an organisation.

Spanish Prisoner said:
While not comparing his actions, Troy is as much a part of the RFC as the captain of the Valdez was an Exxon employee. And it is about time we all recognised that the actions of an employee has a huge impact on the public image of an organisation.

Not the right analogy....If the captain was on holidays and got into trouble it would not reflect on the company at all. Also a captain would have been with the company for years not days.

Sensible people can see what has happened here is not a reflection of RFC at all - in fact the club should be praised for it's handling of the situation.

Let the legal process happen.

Troy was drafted on 26 November 2009 & the alleged offence occurred on 31 December 2009 whilst he was on leave. He has therefore been under the employment of the club for less than a month given the xmas break so any reasonable person would assume that he is responsible for his own actions - not the club.

To compare to Didak & Cousins, who have been in the system for many years, is laughable.