The Potential Trading Of McMahon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Potential Trading Of McMahon

crackertiger said:
McMahon deserves all the crap he gets for being a lazy selfish spud. There is no way any club will trade for this dud. Just pay him out and send a clear message for the future!

Agreed. If we keep him it's a sign we're still going nowhere. You can't honestly tell me with the amount of duds we have we're filling up all the cap anyways. Get rid of him now.................. :help

GoodOne said:
Like McMahon or not, this was exactly what he was recruited for, and statistically he is in the top 3 at the Tigers for gaining metres with the ball in a game.

The problem is that Wallace, the Tiger hierarchy, and a fair few supporters thought 3 or 4 years ago that our list was better than it was. In hindsight we should have used our 19 pick for a youngster.
Exacly the point that everyone who bags overlooks while having a rant. Unless you were living under a rock before McMahon was recruited, everyone should have known when he arrived what sort of player he would be i.e. an outside reciever whose run and carry would be an asset, but because he doesn't win 7-10 contested possessions and lay 6 tackles a game he is labelled as useless. Anyone who expected McMahon to turn into a contested ball winner either had NFI or is completely deluded. McMahon always has been and always will be an outside reciever.

It is these same people who bag Jackson despite him being a contested ball winner who lays 5-6 tackles a game.

Looks like the only way they will be happy is when we have a list of 38 players who can all win a dozen contested possies, while laying 6 tackles and having 90% efficiency per game. ::)

I'm sorry but I struggle to see this happening. Who out of tomorrow's team would you drop for McMuffin?

Tigers_06 said:
Anyone who expected McMahon to turn into a contested ball winner either had NFI or is completely deluded. McMahon always has been and always will be an outside reciever.

I expect him, as a backman, to be accountable for his man, or at least a man, at some point during a game. I expect him, as a backman, to lay tackles as part of the defensive pressure that good teams have. I expect him to harrass, chase, annoy, spoil, smother, bump, etc, etc, at every opportunity - and there have been plenty of opportunities. I then expect him to fulfil his outside receiver duties.

Tigers_06 said:
It is these same people who bag Jackson despite him being a contested ball winner who lays 5-6 tackles a game.

Jackson does lay tackles and wins his share of contested possessions. Those bagging Jackson, and I'm one of them, question his ability to make the right decision when he has won the ball. Time after time he is either too slow to make a decision, or makes the wrong one. Jackson is an elite runner, yet at times he looks as slow as a wet week, because of these shortcomings.

Tigers_06 said:
Looks like the only way they will be happy is when we have a list of 38 players who can all win a dozen contested possies, while laying 6 tackles and having 90% efficiency per game. ::)

Sounds about right. Draft some of them and we should be on our way to a Premiership.

Tigion said:
i reakon if we can get a pack of buger rings a coke and a cornetto for him it will be a bargin

Mate have you seen the price of Cornetto's lately?

Barnzy said:
Agreed. If we keep him it's a sign we're still going nowhere. You can't honestly tell me with the amount of duds we have we're filling up all the cap anyways. Get rid of him now.................. :help

If we can trade Jordie fair enough but he's a contracted player on big money so if he's not traded he stays.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was groomed for a different role, playing to his strengths rather than his weaknesses. One where he can receive the ball and use his pace and skills to our advantage rather than rely on him stopping an opposition forward. He can certainly get the ball.

I'll be very interested to see if Damien can utilise Jordie in a different way to benefit our team.

rosy23 said:
If we can trade Jordie fair enough but he's a contracted player on big money so if he's not traded he stays.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was groomed for a different role, playing to his strengths rather than his weaknesses. One where he can receive the ball and use his pace and skills to our advantage rather than rely on him stopping an opposition forward. He can certainly get the ball.

I'll be very interested to see if Damien can utilise Jordie in a different way to benefit our team.

agree he should play on the wings

Freezer said:
I expect him, as a backman, to be accountable for his man, or at least a man, at some point during a game. I expect him, as a backman, to lay tackles as part of the defensive pressure that good teams have. I expect him to harrass, chase, annoy, spoil, smother, bump, etc, etc, at every opportunity - and there have been plenty of opportunities. I then expect him to fulfil his outside receiver duties.

Thanks for proving my point, you expect McMahon to be something he has never been. McMahon was ranked inside the top 20 at Richmond for tackles per game this season, ahead of players like Thursfield, Edwards, Polo, Moore & McGuane, who just happen to be 5 defenders. Yet its McMahon who is the one who cops all the bagging. I don't like McMahon anymore than the next Tiger, all I'm trying to do is bring some perspective to the discussion. For all McMahons faults he was far from the worse player we had and if used the right way, he could still be a more than handy player for us or for someone else if we trade him.

Tigers_06 said:
Thanks for proving my point, you expect McMahon to be something he has never been. McMahon was ranked inside the top 20 at Richmond for tackles per game this season, ahead of players like Thursfield, Edwards, Polo, Moore & McGuane, who just happen to be 5 defenders. Yet its McMahon who is the one who cops all the bagging. I don't like McMahon anymore than the next Tiger, all I'm trying to do is bring some perspective to the discussion. For all McMahons faults he was far from the worse player we had and if used the right way, he could still be a more than handy player for us or for someone else if we trade him.

Just on tackles. McMahon was 18th on Richmond's list of tackles per game. However I prefer to look at effective tackles. McMahon was 23rd averaged 1.2 effective tackles per game ahead of the likes of Polo, Bowden, N Brown, McGuane, Silvestor, Thursfield and Richo.

Interestingly the top 5 effective tackles were Jackson 3.4, Nahas 2.9, Coughlan 2.9, White 2.8, Newman 2.5

Compare that to the top 2 teams this year:

Geelong Ling 3.6, Corey 3.5, Selwood 3.2, Bartel 3.1, Ablett 2.6
Saints Hayes 4.3, Ball 4.2, Montagna 3.8, Schneider 3.4, C. Jones 3.4

Highlights the different game style approach between Geelong and Saints.

I don't reckon anyone wants him at all - its all just other clubs having a dig at us.

You know "lets have a laugh at the Tigers expense"

How funny is it a GF type team would be interested in him. they are laughing and laughing hard at us having false hopes.

U2Tigers said:
I don't reckon anyone wants him at all - its all just other clubs having a dig at us.

You know "lets have a laugh at the Tigers expense"

How funny is it a GF type team would be interested in him. they are laughing and laughing hard at us having false hopes.

I keep thinking that but then I think if anyone's going to, Saints are the ones. Picked up Fiora. Also remember Rix who I think was at Tigers (rookie?) at some stage.

rosy23 said:

What skills? For someone who was talked about having great skills he turns it over at will (even when under no pressure at all). That's the main reason I want him gone, sure you gotta have a designated kicker, but only if they can kick.

GoodOne said:
I keep thinking that but then I think if anyone's going to, Saints are the ones. Picked up Fiora. Also remember Rix who I think was at Tigers (rookie?) at some stage.
I think Rix played for the burgers.

Barnzy said:
What skills? For someone who was talked about having great skills he turns it over at will (even when under no pressure at all). That's the main reason I want him gone, sure you gotta have a designated kicker, but only if they can kick.

So true. Gilbee he ain't.

Barnzy said:
18.8 disposals per game less than 2 skill errors and less than 2 critical errors per game average 74% efficiency. How is that he turns the ball over, just another myth that people like to repeat ad nauseum in the hope that if enough people hear it, then everyone will believe it.

Tigers_06 said:
18.8 disposals per game less than 2 skill errors and less than 2 critical errors per game average 74% efficiency. How is that he turns the ball over, just another myth that people like to repeat ad nauseum in the hope that if enough people hear it, then everyone will believe it.

A game plan would definitely help a player like McMahon. Actually it'd help every player. He's made his bloopers but overall he does have good disposal. I think a few would agree, its his lack of toughness and defensive skill that irks people.

Tigers_06 said:

I think its been said before that when he makes errors they tend to be whoppers that people remember. But as Goody said its really his lack of toughness that is the sticking point, he does actually try to tackle they just don't stick at all.