The Potential Trading Of McMahon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Potential Trading Of McMahon

What it all comes down to is St.Kilda can afford a Jordan McMahon type.

We simply can not and it clearly shows.

I can see the reasoning behind the interest from St.Kilda and I am the biggest McMahon basher.

When I was told by my little birdie he was coming to Tigerland before it was announced, I had never felt so physically sick in my life.

While we wouldn't have picked him up - did you see the cracker of a final series Callen Ward (where our pick ended up) played for the doggies - absolutely outstanding given his age.

Forget the Tambling - Franklin comparisons, the Sanchez - Ward comparisons, like TigerBob make me utterly sick.

craig said:
Must say i like this ruthless attitude of yours Tooheys ol son :hihi

;D
When it comes to squibs my dark side comes out craigo and I have seen fewer squibs than Jordy in the Y&B.
If we get pick 33 for him I will be singing like a boy soprano.

Brettstigers said:
While we wouldn't have picked him up - did you see the cracker of a final series Callen Ward (where our pick ended up) played for the doggies - absolutely outstanding given his age.

Forget the Tambling - Franklin comparisons, the Sanchez - Ward comparisons, like TigerBob make me utterly sick.

Yep I agree.

I understand that we may never have taken him but how we could value McMahon over him hurts my stomach.

I can only dream about a midfield of Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Cousins, Collins, Dustin Martin and Callan Ward. In a couple of years it could match it with the best.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.

josey said:
Yep I agree.

I understand that we may never have taken him but how we could value McMahon over him hurts my stomach.

I can only dream about a midfield of Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Cousins, Collins, Dustin Martin and Callan Ward. In a couple of years it could match it with the best.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.
Lets get something staight here. Even if we had pick 19 we were never going to pick up Ward. It was always going to be Selwood.

Smoking Aces said:
Lets get something staight here. Even if we had pick 19 we were never going to pick up Ward. It was always going to be Selwood.

Selwood still sounds a lot better in our line up than Sanchez!

I'm not sure that the Saints would want him, despite what the press say. Does he really fit a need for them? He certainly doesn't strike me as a "team ethos" man. Just cannot see this happening unfortunately. As for trade value, at best 4th round plus part payment of wages. I think the club would be better off sitting Sanchez down and saying you can stay here next year but you'll be playing for Coburg Ressies OR we can mutually agree to tear up your contract and we can both be on our way. Here's hoping!

Smoking Aces said:
No need to be sorry. Even with Selwood there the midfield still would have been pretty impressive.

I think we all agree. It was a sad day for the RFC when Jordie came on board.

Smoking Aces said:
With reports in the paper and rumours floating about that McMahon will be traded and a possible suitor being St. Kilda, what would be the realistic (lets try and stay away from the cheese sandwich) trade that we can expect?

If St. Kilda is genuinley interested would they part with their 2nd round pick (No. 31/32) with the proviso we pay majority of his salary? Or is it a case of take what you can eg St. Kildas 4th round pick (No. 73/74)?

Perhaps look at the trading of Farren Ray to the Saints as a template for what they might do.
More than likely they give us their 2nd round pick for McMahon and our 3rd round pick.
They won't pay much for him and this would be treated as a salary cap dump for us.
How good would Callan Ward look at the moment?

Tigers_06 said:
It his ability to run and carry, its his ability to deliver long accurate passes into the F50 when coming out of D50.

Like McMahon or not, this was exactly what he was recruited for, and statistically he is in the top 3 at the Tigers for gaining metres with the ball in a game.

The problem is that Wallace, the Tiger hierarchy, and a fair few supporters thought 3 or 4 years ago that our list was better than it was. In hindsight we should have used our 19 pick for a youngster.

josey said:

So if we get Martin, we're only Ward short of your dream. Sorry I don't get it. You've just listed 6 out of 7 players that we already have (or could have by end of trade day) in our team. Are you saying that Ward would be the difference?

GoodOne said:
So if we get Martin, we're only Ward short of your dream. Sorry I don't get it. You've just listed 6 out of 7 players that we already have (or could have by end of trade day) in our team. Are you saying that Ward would be the difference?

I am not sure what you don't get.

I think we are close to a quality midfield. However so are a lot other clubs. If we were to add 2 potential A graders to our midfield rotation we would be able to match it with the best.

Who don't you rate out of that list?

josey said:
I am not sure what you don't get.

I think we are close to a quality midfield. However so are a lot other clubs. If we were to add 2 potential A graders to our midfield rotation we would be able to match it with the best.

Who don't you rate out of that list?

I rate them all but you said you can ONLY dream about that midfield. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean. Anyway I think we have built up a very strong midfield for the future. In 3 or 4 years time as 25/26 year olds, with much more experience, it should be top notch. Its the key positions we are struggling with. In the next 3 or 4 years at a time where the midfield will reach its peak we have to ensure we have key positions sorted out if we want to reach the pinnacle. All of Reiwoldt, Vickery, Post and Rance will have to come on, and we will have to focus on recruiting more stronger taller bodies in that time.

Did leysy just read peeps posting stats to backup the Sanchez & then try & justify it.

Crikey. Wonder why punters think the quality of posts on the boards have gawn down recently.

GoodOne said:
I rate them all but you said you can ONLY dream about that midfield. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean. Anyway I think we have built up a very strong midfield for the future. In 3 or 4 years time as 25/26 year olds, with much more experience, it should be top notch. Its the key positions we are struggling with. In the next 3 or 4 years at a time where the midfield will reach its peak we have to ensure we have key positions sorted out if we want to reach the pinnacle. All of Reiwoldt, Vickery, Post and Rance will have to come on, and we will have to focus on recruiting more stronger taller bodies in that time.

I agree with what you are saying about the midfield. They will become solid as they improve although as others have mentioned we need a more than 6 to rotate through.

Add the potential of a Martin and we are improving. That leaves us with a list of six 6. Cousins is 31. However I do rate Ward that highly, he will become A grade. He is a beauty and would compliment that list very well.

The thing about that list of guys also is that there is not any of that inside, outside nonsense. All are genuine mids which is something we should be striving for. Genuine mids are able to compete inside and also spread from the contest.

Again this appears to be another basic element of footy that Wallace has missed.

I think that Sanchez is harshly marked due to the pick we gave up and the $$$ we committed to him. If we had got him in the PSD would everyone be so critical ?
Admit he is physically weak but when he is on song he is rather damaging with spread, run and carry.

You will find that he stays next year.

McMahon deserves all the crap he gets for being a lazy selfish spud. There is no way any club will trade for this dud. Just pay him out and send a clear message for the future!