'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged]

Re: 'Your chance to win 'The Hafey Years' book (P3)

Got it tonight as a Xmas present from my son and his partner. Looking forward to a good read over the off-season.

YinnarTiger said:
Got it tonight as a Xmas present from my son and his partner. Looking forward to a good read over the off-season.

I got it for Christmas as well. I have had to wait a long time for it, have been hanging out since it was released. But getting it for Christmas via the club makes it that bit more special.

The Hafey Years

A few of us started discussing this book in another thread and I do apologise if there's already a topic or this is on the wrong board, but I thought it deserved a post of it's own. I've just started reading it. I kind of understood why they got Lane to do the introduction. He's a respected name in the football world and he's a non player like most of us, someone who just loves the game, yes he's a Blues man, but that's kind of the point, during the Hafey Years Richmond had a healthy rivalry with the Blues and that's where Lane's coming from. I've just read the first chapter, and it's spooky how similar the situations of Richmond then and now are. Maybe the writer has manipulated things that way, but it was something I thought even before I picked up the book, comparing the current situation with what my parents told me was happening before the '67 season. The quote from Roger Dean at the start of the chapter: "There never seemed to be any point where we were going to make it ... we expected to lose." Roger has been at the club since '57 when Hafey came in, of his first 50 games, only 10 were wins. I wonder if Newman or Lids would say something similar if you asked them honestly? It's a bloody good book though if you're a Tiger.

Re: The Hafey Years

Thanks CTT - birthday on saturday so I'll start dropping all the hints now. ;D

i have the book and have read it, it's a fantastic read throughout, goes through the building of that list as we are doing now, lets hope this current era is as good, if not better than the hafey era :p

Got it from Santa and have finished it...was a great read. Good work Elliott.

It's amazing when you realise the guy is 80 years old as well. Some of the stories coming out in this book are really interesting. I've heard bits of them and read about some of them before, but things like the Barrot Sheedy fight and some of the stuff about Peter Pianto (coach of Geelong) are really fascinating to me.

Its a great read, brought back lots and lots of happy memories, got the richo book and the Tigers Centenary Book which is signed by the Ghost.

Next purchase, is the greatest tiger player KB

Massive Tiger said:
I heard Tommy on the radio the other day and he sounded fit as ever.
How does one 'sound' fit?

Everyone,

This is a fantastic book. Really well written with heaps of interesting stuff I hadn't heard before. Some of the insights are amazing.

I would really recommend it.

IMO, this is the book that Richo deserves.

Well done EJC. Great book, and I really look forward to your future football writing efforts.

I just paid $37 on ebay...delivered. Hope thats not too bad?

ah thanks for the heads up, tim. Just ordered one from them.

tigertim said:
How does one 'sound' fit?

yes, a good point. I guess I should have said he sounded bright and with it. He could have been in a wheelchair for all I know.

Streak said:
Everyone,

This is a fantastic book. Really well written with heaps of interesting stuff I hadn't heard before. Some of the insights are amazing.

I would really recommend it.

IMO, this is the book that Richo deserves.

Well done EJC. Great book, and I really look forward to your future football writing efforts.

My hints worked - got it for 30W birthday.

Agree Streaker! Would even go further and say that real fans/supporters really must read it. Too much in there to not know about. Read half of it one morning - hard to put down (and I'm a slow reader)