'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged]

Re: New Book about Tommy Hafey

23.21.159 said:
Just had a Captain Cook at Tommy's wikipedia page and I found this interesting:

"Richmond began 1966 in brilliant form. A month before the finals, they hit the top of the ladder for the first time since 1951 and seemed certain to play in September. But two losses relegated the Tigers to fifth place with thirteen wins and a draw, the best performed team to miss out since the inception of the McIntyre finals system in 1931. Stung by the near miss, Richmond cleared a number of players who failed in the two crucial defeats and boosted by two champion new players in Royce Hart and Francis Bourke, dominated the 1967 season, running out winners in a classic Grand Final against Geelong."

Any of you old-timers out there have any idea who the cleared players were?

Before my time, but players from those games who didn't play for Richmond after 1966 were Barry Cameron (96 games), Graeme Gahan (89), Peter Hogan (40), Owen Madigan (40) and Kevin Smith (47). None played senior VFL footy again.

The others who played their last game at Richmond that year were Wilf Dickeson (23), Trevor Gowers (Andy's dad, 24), Mike Hammond (31), John Sheahan (17) and Bill Walford (8.).

rosy23 said:
The forum member is EJC. I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss the book and answer any questions.

The book was commissioned to write to coincide with and help celebrate Tom Hafey's 80th birthday. What a lovely pressie for Tommy. :birthday

80th! so he's 79 when they shot that recent jeep ad....remarkable! Has obviously practised what he preaches and theres a lesson we should all heed. In all my dealings with Tom, I must say, what an absolute gentleman. And yes, he does love 'his Tigers'. LEGEND.

Please tell me Tim Lane only wrote the forward, although why you'd pick him to do even that is a bit strange. Their ABC Radio days the link?

spook said:
Please tell me Tim Lane only wrote the forward, although why you'd pick him to do even that is a bit strange. Their ABC Radio days the link?

Hi all. Many thanks for the intro Rosy.

Spook, you're on the money. Tim and Tommy forged a terrific relationship at the ABC (as did Tommy and Swan McKay). The club wanted a Richmond voice to write the Foreword; I argued the toss. My preference was to have a voice with a personal connection to Tom and the era, but one who could write on behalf of non-Richmond people and provide a unique perspective. Tim Lane has certainly done that - his Foreword is an absolute beauty.

Further details about the book:

408 pages + photo sections + stats + testimonies

It will be a hardcover, available to pre-order via RFC or for purchase in retail booksellers (but as Rosy mentioned proceeds will stay with RFC if members / non-members order through the club).

rosy23 said:
It also echoes parts of a long-gone Melbourne, whereby champion sportsmen owned milk bars or pubs or worked nine-to-five in offices or in a trade. Where six games were played on a Saturday and the late edition of The Herald or Sporting Globe would announce the scores.

The city lived for football and stopped for football. And with four flags in eight seasons, soaring crowds, headline after headline and a host of household names, the Tigers – for a moment in time – ruled the land.

Ah the good old days when we really did Eat 'em Alive.

Streak said:
And I really hope this book is a better tribute than the one Richo got.

Considering Richo didn't think there was a story at all and he didn't want to diss his club at all (obviously might have been a better book if he did?) it was pretty good, all things considered.

EJC said:

Spook, you're on the money. Tim and Tommy forged a terrific relationship at the ABC (as did Tommy and Swan McKay). The club wanted a Richmond voice to write the Foreword; I argued the toss. My preference was to have a voice with a personal connection to Tom and the era, but one who could write on behalf of non-Richmond people and provide a unique perspective. Tim Lane has certainly done that - his Foreword is an absolute beauty.

It will be a hardcover, available to pre-order via RFC or for purchase in retail booksellers (but as Rosy mentioned proceeds will stay with RFC if members / non-members order through the club).

Well done EJC. I am getting one for sure.

feisty tige said:
Considering Richo didn't think there was a story at all and he didn't want to diss his club at all (obviously might have been a better book if he did?) it was pretty good, all things considered.

Fair enough feisty, but I still found it disappointing.

Hopefully in a few years someone will do a book on Richo with lots of photos and different perspectives on him.

And hopefully we will see a new DVD come out that actually focusses on all those fantastic highlights he gave the game as a player.

Streak said:
Fair enough feisty, but I still found it disappointing.

Hopefully in a few years someone will do a book on Richo with lots of photos and different perspectives on him.

And hopefully we will see a new DVD come out that actually focusses on all those fantastic highlights he gave the game as a player.

I love Martin Flanagan's writing and he is a huge fan of Richo, but with Martin there is always a certain style and flavour and maybe that didn't echo what the punters were looking for.

EJC said:

Good stuff mate. Well done. :clap

hafeyyears_246b.jpg

The Hafey Years

richmondfc.com.au 5:08 PM Tue 12 Jul, 2011

On the cusp of the 80th birthday milestone of Richmond ‘Immortal’, Tommy Hafey, comes the release of a superbly detailed book about the golden Hafey era at Tigerland.

Some of the AFL’s most influential figures have contributed to the telling of this remarkable tale - the likes of Kevin Sheedy, Neil Balme, David Parkin, Ray Jordon and Robert Walls.

Get your copy of The Hafey Years from the Tigerland Superstore.

Furthermore, genuine Richmond champions, such as Francis Bourke, Ian Stewart, *smile* Clay, Roger Dean, Michael Green and Bill Barrot, provide tremendous insight into Tigerland in the 1960s and 1970s. The candid thoughts of Brian ‘The Whale’ Roberts, John Pitura, Robbie McGhie, Paddy Guinane, along with host of others, are also revealed.

The book does not merely focus on stories from the confines of the playing arena. Maniacally driven by leading administrators Graeme Richmond and Ian Wilson, the Tigers earned a reputation for being even tougher off the ground. Some of the material unearthed in The Hafey Years about GR, for example, has astonished Club historians and will enthrall readers.

Behind it all, of course, was the modest and unassuming figure of Tommy Hafey. No name is more synonymous with the Yellow and Black glory years. Throughout Richmond’s proud 126-year history, Hafey oversaw its most dominant period - coaching the Club to four premierships in a stunning eight-season period that, to this day, represents the Tigers’ high-water mark.

It was not so much the winning of those 1967, ’69, ’73 & ’74 premierships, but how they were won: Richmond became the most ruthless, feared and controversial football club of a generation.

The result was success that few clubs have tasted before or since, and a legion of names and personalities who still reverberate in Tigerland legend today.

Exhaustively researched, author and long-time Richmond devotee, Elliot Cartledge, has captured every pivotal, acrimonious and amusing moment of this time.

He chronicles the Tigers’ battling post-war years, Hafey’s arrival in 1966 as an untried League coach from Shepparton, the rise of a mighty team, bruising off-field power struggles, on-field stoushes, and Hafey’s contentious departure after the 1976 season and what followed thereafter.

Discover what really happened during the infamous ‘Battle of Windy Hill’, how Hafey was the meat in the sandwich between GR and Ray Dunn, the real story behind the Pitura swap and, most revealingly, a blow-by-blow account of the events that led to Hafey leaving Richmond.

This is a ‘no-holds-barred’ examination of the most successful and fascinating era in Tigerland history.

Sample quotes:

“They made you hate losing at Richmond - Graeme Richmond, Tommy and Alan Schwab and the committee.”
- Kevin Sheedy

“We walked in and Graeme said, ‘Righto, this is our offer’, and threw the bag down. Money spilled all over the place.”
— Les Flintoff, Richmond committeeman and recruiter

“From that point on, there were Carlton players who were not prepared to speak to Richmond people. Ever.”
- Robert Walls

“It’s a pretty difficult way to play if you think your survival at that level depends on you being a hitman.”
- Tony Jewell

“I just dived in there, head first, and ‘Sheeds’ has just smashed me . . . And I reckon it was either GR or Tommy who put him up to it to test me out.”
- Bruce Monteath

“It was about going to play for the right club. I chose Richmond because of Graeme Richmond.”
- John Pitura

“Put your mouthguard in and enjoy the read.”
- from The Hafey Years foreword, by respected football commentator Tim Lane

The Hafey Years
RRP: $39.95 Hardback, 400pgs + 16pg colour illustrated sections + statistical analysis + coaching notes
Author Elliot Cartledge, Published by Weston Media and Communications, 2011.

Available on-line at the Tigerland Superstore (Please note: stock will arrive in store week, ending July 24. Price excludes $10 postal fee per book).

Win a book

To have a chance to win a book nominate your favourite player from the Hafey era and tell us why in 25 words or less.

Re: Win a book

rosy23 said:
To have a chance to win a book nominate your favourite player from the Hafey era and tell us why in 25 words or less.

Thanks Rosy. Yes we would to give PRE members a chance to win a copy of the new book by giving your thoughts in a creative and unique way - and brief, just 25 words - on who was your favourite Tiger from the Hafey years and why. Simply add your contribution to the thread and we'll declare the winner at 6pm, this Sunday (17 July).

Good luck to all.

*smile* Clay. Epitomised to me what the Hafey Tigers were all about. Highly skilled but a ferocious competitor who got the job done no frills.

Kevin Sheedy. What he lacked in natural ability he made up for in his detirmination to succeed. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Royce Hart,

unique in everything he did, name, game, impact and presence, my greatest childhood memories and to this day 44 years later .... still are.

Billy Barrot,

Our 1969 Premiership was not won on grand final day but on Round 19 at Princes Park by his heart and passion for the Tigers.

Kevin Bartlett
Spent my childhood running around the backyard, No.29 jumper on, snapping goals at a couple of gum trees, yelling "Bartlett snaps.....it's a goal!!!"