'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged]

Compliments of the season to all. Many thanks for the feedback. I'm delighted the book has struck a real chord. I've also received plenty of commentary from non-Tiger people who have enjoyed the read. Like me, I guess anything 'footy related' is worth a look and the 1960s and 1970s was such a fabulous era for the game. And regarding Tim Lane, I may have mentioned elsewhere that I deliberately went for a non-RFC voice to provide some balance and some external perspective. Plus, Tim is a great authority on footy and speaks with a non-partisan mindset, and does so articulately. It may not surprise that my publisher and RFC wanted a Richmond figure to write the foreword...we had to agree to disagree. Cheers, EJC

EJC said:
Compliments of the season to all. Many thanks for the feedback. I'm delighted the book has struck a real chord. I've also received plenty of commentary from non-Tiger people who have enjoyed the read. Like me, I guess anything 'footy related' is worth a look and the 1960s and 1970s was such a fabulous era for the game. And regarding Tim Lane, I may have mentioned elsewhere that I deliberately went for a non-RFC voice to provide some balance and some external perspective. Plus, Tim is a great authority on footy and speaks with a non-partisan mindset, and does so articulately. It may not surprise that my publisher and RFC wanted a Richmond figure to write the foreword...we had to agree to disagree. Cheers, EJC
Just got mine in the mail today, look forward the read...thank God I'm on holiday!

This is a wonderful RFC history book. I've only had the chance to speed read through it. I just couldn't wait. I look forward to re-reading it thoroughly and savouring every word.

Half way through it. A lot of behind the scenes stuff and anecdotes from players of those times.
Bloody great read, I highly recommend it.
Great work EJC :clap

From someone who was just born when all this was going on it provides a great insight into everything my parents talked about and still do! Even my Collingwood mate read it and loved it.

Just bought it from my local bookstore went to pay for it and the chick there said Tommy and Elliot were in town the other day and got them to sign 2 copies lucky for me they hadn't. Put them on the shelf so she sold me one for 39 bucks

scooty said:
Just bought it from my local bookstore went to pay for it and the chick there said Tommy and Elliot were in town the other day and got them to sign 2 copies lucky for me they hadn't. Put them on the shelf so she sold me one for 39 bucks

Bloody lucky bugger.
Great read, you'll enjoy it.

willo said:
Finished the book.
Excellent job Elliot. Congratulations are in order for such a superb book. Loved it.

Agree with that Willo - interesting to know what was going on behind the scenes while I was selling Heralds and Sporting Globes at the Blacky Hotel during some of that era. Best of all was the take by the players - gave the book a whole other dimension IMO. Interesting some of the contradictions at times, and how important Green was too us.

Willo, did you feel the book was almost as much about Graham Richmond as Tommy?

I loved every page of it and will definately read it again.

Phar Ace said:
Agree with that Willo - interesting to know what was going on behind the scenes while I was selling Heralds and Sporting Globes at the Blacky Hotel during some of that era. Best of all was the take by the players - gave the book a whole other dimension IMO. Interesting some of the contradictions at times, and how important Green was too us.

Willo, did you feel the book was almost as much about Graham Richmond as Tommy?

I loved every page of it and will definately read it again.

Phar Ace, I mentioned previously that those anecdotes from players and others really gave the book a different viewpoint.
Green was very highly thought of wasn't he?
Also agree on the Graham Richmond aspect. Bit of an eye opener. I knew he was the power behind a lot of that success, (and ultimately some very poor decisions) but gee he must have been a right prick to all and sundry.
Different times allright.
A book all Tigerheads should get to read. Thoroughly recommend it.

Didn't notice much from in the way of comment from KB - disappointing really when he had so much to say at other times. And doesn't Bruce like to swear? ;D

Phar Ace said:
Didn't notice much from in the way of comment from KB - disappointing really when he had so much to say at other times. And doesn't Bruce like to swear? ;D

Is KB working on his own book?

Phar Ace said:

Thanks again to all for the positive comments. There is a lot of swearing in the book (!) but believe me, my editor toned much of it down. Some of the Whale's anecdotes were largely unprintable...although very funny. KB was the only former player / official to refuse to participate, out of 40-odd contacted, which was disappointing to me but I was embarrassed for Tommy more than anything. Oddly enough, the Bartletts then asked Tommy to help launch Kevin's book soon after, which Tommy agreed to without hesitation. Without wishing to pass further comment, I dare say that sums up their respective characters...

EJC said:
Thanks again to all for the positive comments. There is a lot of swearing in the book (!) but believe me, my editor toned much of it down. Some of the Whale's anecdotes were largely unprintable...although very funny. KB was the only former player / official to refuse to participate, out of 40-odd contacted, which was disappointing to me but I was embarrassed for Tommy more than anything. Oddly enough, the Bartletts then asked Tommy to help launch Kevin's book soon after, which Tommy agreed to without hesitation. Without wishing to pass further comment, I dare say that sums up their respective characters...

Hmmm, you weren't part of the mob that sacked KB were you Elliot, or have a relative that was part of it? ;)
Weak as *smile* Disappointing of KB regardless.

EJC said:
Elliott, did KB give a reason as to why he wouldnt comment? It may not be reflective of his respect for Tommy.