'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged]

Re: 'Your chance to win 'The Hafey Years' book (P3)

Thanks heaps EJC and congrats to L2. :D

You are most welcome.

I understand RFC took delivery of the book on Monday so I'm hoping those who have ordered a copy will receive it soon.

Naturally, all manner of feedback is welcome...I too need a distraction from our present-day woes!

Has anyone had a chance to read this book yet? I was so excited when my copy arrived in the mail but the MOTH snaffled it first so I have to wait for my turn. He's thoroughly enjoying it and reckons it's great part of our history has been captured and discussed so well. I'll write a report here after I've read it.

Hoping that either this book, or the KB book (or optimistically both) will be given to me on fathers day....

Yeah, I've received my signed copy on tuesday! :clap
I'm loving it, easy to read, can't put it down. It'll be finished this weekend!

Hard to believe that Hafey was paid the same amount to coach Richmond in 1966 as he received whilst coaching Shepparton. 800 pound. :eek:

When he went to coach collingwood, they tripled his wage!

Hi all...by all means keep the feedback coming. Inside Sport magazine has given it a glowing review but I'm more interested in the views of devoted Tigers, to be honest.

The book will be showcased on Friday at the Hall of Fame / Hafey tribute event at the Regent.

There are 248 (the exact number of games Tommy coached at Richmond) leather-bound editions on sale, for those who will be in attendance.

Cheers, EJC

I'm still waiting for my turn to read it. The MOTH is full of praise and thoroughly enjoying it. I just wish he would read a bit faster.

For he who may read this. Fathers' Day is just around the corner. What a marvellous gift for such a worthwhile father.

yarra tiger said:
How much will the leather-bound ones cost?

Yarra, the leather-bound copies are selling for $100 and according to the Past Players' president, Mike Perry, who ran Friday's Hall of Fame / Hafey tribute event, a lot were sold. It looks fantastic actually, because each book comes in a separate, hard leather case, with the leather-bound book inside.

They are taking orders until the edition runs out, so perhaps a call to the RFC will help to track one down.

I've got some terrific shots of the event, but I'm not sure how to upload them here, so if anyone can give me a hand, I'll post them.

there is a great video of richo interviewing tommy on the clubs website.l could listen to tommy all day

casper68 said:
there is a great video of richo interviewing tommy on the clubs website.l could listen to tommy all day

Could not agree more Casper the ghost. Fabulous interview.

Got my signed one from the club--about half way through --a detailed and fascinating read--lots of input from all who around at the time-a great addition to RFC history!!

I just ordered my copy via the Tiger Den. Can't wait for it to arrive ;)

Got both signed copies of Tommy's and KB's from the Tiger Den ... great reading ... well done to the writers!

Hi all...feel free to pass on to family / friends that Tommy is doing his one and only public signing for the book this Friday. Details are:

'The Hafey Years' signing, Friday 2 Sept, from 12pm - 2pm @ Southland shopping centre (Cheltenham)

It's being presented by Dymocks and Westfield and will take place on a stage near the Katmandu store.

Even if you have a copy already, come and meet Tommy and wish him well.

Half way through this book and for a 40-something Tiger fan who grew up in this era it is a sensational read. Amazes me how many individual matches being described I can actually remember being at - even non finals: the 1972 drubbing at Moorabbin for example. Despite being only nine at the time I have vivid memories. Probably because our losses stuck out more than our wins back then.

Wayne Walsh's comments about Norm Smith are astounding for such a legend of the game (Smith, not Walsh :) ).

Unfortunately found a few typos and factual errors.