'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged]

tigertim said:
Elliott, did KB give a reason as to why he wouldnt comment? It may not be reflective of his respect for Tommy.

Hi Tim, no he didn't but clearly he was involved in the release of his own book and that must have justified not participating in the Hafey book. He and Tommy are very close, so his decision was decidedly odd and smacked - once again - of self-interest. The irony was he ended up as MC for the book's launch at the Hafey tribute last August..! And don't get me wrong, he's a charming bloke and his playing record and longevity is remarkable. All the more reason it was disappointing he wouldn't give five minutes of his time to go on record for his great mate Tommy.

I'm sure it could have been got around, but I wonder what the issue might be on him commenting in your book then wanting to use the same information, albeit with perhaps different syntax.

Thanks for the feedback all the same - I know how close KB and Tommy are supposed to be - it just seemed so odd and perhaps a silent reflection on KB, whether he liked it, intended it or not. As I said, he's had plenty to say when it has suited him.

Just changed jobs recently and my staff gave me this book as a farewell gift. Read it faster than any book in a long time!
Great work EJC - absolutely loved it.
I was born in the early 70s, so knew bits and pieces of the era, but the book really brought it to life.

My only disappointment, which is completely selfish, unjustified and beyond the scope of the Hafey years, is that the book stopped when it did. I would have loved a similar description of 1980 which is the only premiership I personally remember. My heroes growing up were Roach, Jess etc - those who were only just starting as the book finished.

But a fantastic book - my 10 year old is about to start it now too!

ozmadman said:
Just changed jobs recently and my staff gave me this book as a farewell gift. Read it faster than any book in a long time!
Great work EJC - absolutely loved it.
I was born in the early 70s, so knew bits and pieces of the era, but the book really brought it to life.
My only disappointment, which is completely selfish, unjustified and beyond the scope of the Hafey years, is that the book stopped when it did. I would have loved a similar description of 1980 which is the only premiership I personally remember. My heroes growing up were Roach, Jess etc - those who were only just starting as the book finished.
But a fantastic book - my 10 year old is about to start it now too!
thought the same thing, it'd be an equally great as a sequel, 1977 - 1987 The Decimated years.

tigertim said:
thought the same thing, it'd be an equally great as a sequel, 1977 - 1987 The Decimated years.

That would be a good read....Elliott if you have a spare 3 or 4 years, I reckon such a book would do well.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
That would be a good read....Elliott if you have a spare 3 or 4 years, I reckon such a book would do well.

Well among Richmond tragics at least.......... or it could become a university required book on how not to............

I got a signed copy from my son for Xmas , was rapt !

How lucky am I to have such a wonderful daughter. She went to the trouble of having Tommy sign my book.

Attachments

• tommy.jpg.jpg
    tommy.jpg.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi all,

Some would be aware The Hafey Years sold out some time ago and the last copies were held by the club. After six months of negotiations (yes, that long) we have a long-awaited revised and updated edition.

Members received the notification last week: http://shop.richmondfc.com.au/

Obviously we have had to handle the reprint with great sensitivity as midway through proceedings we knew Tommy was seriously ill. Sadly, the last conversation I with him was slotting in dates for him to help us promote the book - which he loved doing upon its initial release in 2011.

I can tell those interested that among other aspects of updating and revising, I have written a tribute to Tom in its pages.

The book has come up a treat - for one thing, we have doubled the amount of photos in it, on the back of finding some really rare images (with thanks to Paddy Guinane, Roger Dean and Roland Weeks at the RFC museum).

Cheers to all,

EJC

Attachments

• Hafey-cover.jpg
    Hafey-cover.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 5
tigertim said:
You mean I'm going to have to buy another copy? ;D

Rhett Bartlett pulled that trick with his book. ;D

richmond-football-club-the-tigers.jpg

But since my copy of the first one was free, I'll buy the reprint. Thanks Elliott.

Looks like I got dudded by both. From now on I'll just wait for the updated before buying a copy.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Rhett Bartlett pulled that trick with his book. ;D

But since my copy of the first one was free, I'll buy the reprint. Thanks Elliott.

Well, I can't speak for Rhett but I've had different publishers wanting to reprint my book on the proviso that it was revised. That other matter is we only printed a few thousand copies in 2011, so the run in the market was relatively brief as it sold out. I've only got one copy myself! Happily the current print run is substantial.

As I put to the club (ahem, diplomatically of course), this is a tale from Richmond's point of view that should never be out of print, never be unavailable to the Tiger faithful - or anyone else interested in Tommy or footy's rich history.

EJC said:
Well, I can't speak for Rhett but I've had different publishers wanting to reprint my book on the proviso that it was revised.

Was a tongue in cheek remark. Those of us accustomed to being gouged by endless rehashes of their favourite band's material - "remastered from the original tapes" or containing "unreleased tracks" - will understand. ;D

A bit unusual for new editions to appear so quickly, but this is obviously a special case.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
A bit unusual for new editions to appear so quickly, but this is obviously a special case.

Yes it was an unusual situation. I knew we hadn't printed enough copies in 2011 so a reprint was always on the cards. And, as with most exercises in publishing, it's tricky making the numbers balance.

And while Tommy was fully on board - he loved the book - I just don't think any of us knew just how grave his condition was.

Personally, I'm pleased. It's more the book I wanted first time around - bolder, cleaner and more colourful. It will serve to document Tommy's legacy from here on.

But LeeToRainesToRoach I hear you.

Any plans to release it as an eBook ? Kindle or what have you ?