The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Na. The opposition did not turn up. That is as insipid a performance as I can recall in a final. No pressure. It started at selection.

Port's runners (gun mids, gun HBF) have covered up their KP problems and when you lose 2 weapons off HB and your mids all have less than ave performances you are left to rely on your bigs.

Look at the keys at both ends - Dixon/Rat/Zerk/Allir - perhaps the weakest big 4 of all teams? Allir is massively overrated IMO. He is at best a 3rd tall defender.

You will not get a performance like that out of GWS or Syd.
I don't see anyone with a backline that can control both Cameron and Neale and their plethora of quick, highly skilled smalls. Particularly the latter element.

That's what I say publicly to my Geelong supporting aquaintences but deep down I have a seething resentment that overrides any respect I have for them, especially after their favourable treatment with the rules post 2020. I've found there is little sympathy from non-Richmond followers for this argument so I don't bother raising it anymore.
They just seem to always land on their feet like their mascot. It *smile* me to end how good they are at drafting with crappy draft hands and getting the best out of their list.

But facts are facts, they will always be the team who beat us by 20 goals sending us into our darkest period AND the team who couldn't get past us to win a flag. Oh and Dusty's *smile*!

Reactions: 1 users
Yep.
They've got a whole bunch of them n even got a fourple premiership player, but them ones are nearly all retired now. Trouble is that the bastards have got a great big bunch of shiny new premiership players that might just become dual premiership players in a couple of weeks n then they'll start hunting to become the next team of triple premiership players.

Could only find Hawkins on the current list.

Na. The opposition did not turn up. That is as insipid a performance as I can recall in a final. No pressure. It started at selection.

Port's runners (gun mids, gun HBF) have covered up their KP problems and when you lose 2 weapons off HB and your mids all have less than ave performances you are left to rely on your bigs.

Look at the keys at both ends - Dixon/Rat/Zerk/Allir - perhaps the weakest big 4 of all teams? Allir is massively overrated IMO. He is at best a 3rd tall defender.

Tend to agree. However when Cameron is doing what he did and they bring Stewart back in to that side, you can't underestimate how good a performance that was by Geelong to make them look so bad. Truth is probably in the middle.

If Port get rolled by the winner of Hawks/Dogs, what do they do in terms of a list build? Fascinating.

Reactions: 1 users
That is the overriding response. They have never beaten us in a GF. They are our finals bunnies. We are 10-2 in all finals.

I love that all 3 flags I have seen went through the Cats. Will never forget the joy of that after years of punishment in H&A.
I remember 1980 as well. Also went through the Cats. They finished on top and we smacked them in the second semi final then they went out in straight sets.

We own them in finals. Unfortunately not much we can do to them whilst we are winning wooden spoons.

Pretty depressing they were utterly awesome last night and I think would've beaten anyone.
Even more depressing watching Dangerhack run at pace and Dustin is already gone.
It's incredible how long they can get their older players to perform. Selwood played 16 seasons and 360 games. Hawkins is in his 18th season with 360 games and it has only caught up with him this season. Stager was drafted the same year as Cotchin and in his 336th game was running around like a 2 year old colt last night. Cotch is enjoying retirement after struggling to 300 games last year. Dusty was drafted 2 years after Stager and looked like he'd play 400 games but fell off a cliff. Edwards similar.

I guess the game plan that won 3 flags in 4 years was extremely taxing on the bodies of the players.

Reactions: 3 users
Reckon the Hawkins injury has helped them.

Think this win is getting a tad overrated. The pressure applied by Port through the middle was pathetic. There wasn't a hell of a lot of pressure on the bloke delivering the ball i50. 22 marks inside 50 taken by the cats. Cannot recall too many being contested.

Yeh, Cameron is unique. But all of a sudden all their kids are stars?

Reactions: 4 users
Port were rubbish
The Cants do have an ability to keep older guys on the park (via a decent fitness and recovery program i guess)
Couple that with bringing younger dudes through at an easier pace and it's an ok recipe for consistency.
That's about as much as I'll give them.

Reckon the Hawkins injury has helped them.

Think this win is getting a tad overrated. The pressure applied by Port through the middle was pathetic. There wasn't a hell of a lot of pressure on the bloke delivering the ball i50. 22 marks inside 50 taken by the cats. Cannot recall too many being contested.

Yeh, Cameron is unique. But all of a sudden all their kids are stars?
Yeah last night does need to be tempered by the fact that Port were so pathetic. Absolutely pissweak. Geelong won't get it that easy again.

But still they were very impressive.

All these things can be true:
Geelong’s home ground coupled with travel to Melbourne inflates their ladder position.
They are a very well run club.
Wells is the best in the business.
Chris Scott is a *smile*.
They learned the lessons of our game plan and changed their approach.
Shocking getting the rules changed to benefit Geelong was an outrageous conflict of interest.

Being around the top four consistently gives them a chance even when they don’t appear quite at that level. Only a couple of things have to fall their way, or go against their opposition, and they are well in the premiership race. Port were pathetic last night but here we are, another prelim for them.

Reactions: 4 users
If Port get rolled by the winner of Hawks/Dogs, what do they do in terms of a list build? Fascinating.
They're screwed.

They only have 2 picks in the draft (37 & 55) after trading it all away for JHF and a group of C graders in ZT, Rat and Soldo.

They don't really have many players to offer in terms of trade value. Houston is one, but he's committed to Port. Maybe Marshall, but he's overrated. Dees/Pies might bite as they need a forward.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember 1980 as well. Also went through the Cats. They finished on top and we smacked them in the second semi final then they went out in straight sets.

We own them in finals. Unfortunately not much we can do to them whilst we are winning wooden spoons.
Blissful day at Waverley with KB in charge.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Repeat of their Grand Final...Port got smashed there as well!

Geelong always seem to have a knack of recruiting players from the wilderness. They hardly ever have top 10 draft picks (1 since 2015 - 9th, 2 since 2006, 9th and 10th). Where'd this Mannah come from? Kicked 3 and 3 goal assists. Has kicked 12 in his last 6 games. Has had more tackles in his last 2 games than some of ours had all year.

Mannah, Miers, Close, Stengle. All better than any small forwards we will have in 2025.

Reactions: 1 user